How to beat goalie one-on-one?

Discussion in 'Player' started by dorset, Aug 14, 2006.

1. dorset

dorset New Member

Mar 21, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Does anyone have any advice on how best to beat a goalie when it is a one-on-one situation in a breakway? With the striker running straight towards the middle of the goal from about 20 yards out. The goalie comes out to approach player. Thanks.

2. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    The keeper will come out to meet you if you keep advancing towards the goal, so then just judge the situation, whats his positioning like? is there space to either side of him that you could just slide it past him and into the goal or if the angle is right could you hit a high shot over him. Or you could fake a shot, then maybe he well go to ground and you can easily put it over or past him. Or you could try to take it round him.

Personally when in a situation like that i would just slide the ball past the keeper but if thats not on then i would run at the keeper fast then when quite close to him fake like im moving left but knock the call to the right (his left), then i would easily just slide the ball into the net, but if he's a good keeper then he will dive at the ball that ive just knocked to his right so then i would just knock it a bit more to the right, then he's on the ground and i can easily dribble the ball into the net.

Just be fast and keep calm.

Dont worry if you mess up, i once messed up three ones on ones with the keeper in one game.

3. BoYgAB90

BoYgAB90 New Member

Jul 21, 2006
    do u remember ronaldo vs a team i forgot which in the world cup(probably ghana) it was 1v1 goalie and he did a step over tricking him to go right and he went left and scored

4. widefoot

widefoot Member

Jul 7, 2006
    North Carolina
    I've always belived if you get to the goalie while he's still moving towards you, take the shot. While his momentum is still moving forward (especially in the first couple of steps), you have a huge advantage as he loses sideward mobility. Yes it is a longer shot, but due to the mobility, you have the advantage in going low to one side.

It's when he stops (and gains lateral mobility) and you have to pick a side where I think more people lose their battle.

5. Pires'sBestMate

Pires'sBestMate New Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Glasgow
    Always shoot across the keeper, so in this case always sidefoot it so that the ball bends inwards to the far post. get close enogh to the keeper and shhot near enough to his side that he could save it, but the speed and pace on the ball can still beat him.

Watch Thierry Henry, Ronaldo and Nicolas Anelka to see hom to do this well.

6. Sain1

Sain1 New Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Dallas
    We tend to do these at the end of every practice as we do Dribble Ups instead of PK's to decide ties.

I usually dribble up a tad off center. This makes it a bit harder on the keepr as he has to adjust his angle as he comes out instead of running straight out. Then I will usually take a fake shot, this causes the keepr to react and plant his feet, thne just place it bottom right corner, just hit it a bit wide and have the spin bring it back in.

7. blastoff

blastoff New Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Basingstoke
    Shevchenko executes the One-on-One perfectly against Liverpool in the Community Shield. Side foot, across the keeper, spins it in at the far post.

8. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    I tend to shoot early, keep it low and pick a spot that is hard for the keeper to get down to. I'll only change if the keeper has already committed himself (for example by diving early) in which case I'd either take it round him or shoot higher.

9. serieAfan89

serieAfan89 New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    North Carolina
    the fake shot tends to work well
    i use the move c. ronaldo does, where he goes to cross the ball but hits it behind his plant foot. then you can easily shoot it in with your left foot.

10. blastoff

blastoff New Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Basingstoke
    At the powerleague during a kick about i tried the thing that beletti did when in a one on one, that thing where he swings his legs and misses the ball to fool the keeper, and shoots the second time. It worked ok, but i usualy ended up swinging and missing (intentionally) and the taking the ball on my right and sloting it into the other corner.

I think another good one is deceptive eyes, also works with Penalties depending on how good a psycologist the keeper is! however, i think faced with a keeper in a One-on-One i would just do something simple! Low and Hard shot usually works perfectly!

I act like i know, i'm just speculating - i've never been faced with a One-on-One in an 11-aside. Played full back all my life, not an attacking one at that. Playing striker this season so fingers crossed 'ey!

11. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    I did the ol shot feint this weekend in a quarterfinal tourney game. worked like a charm... I then dribbled around the left of the keeper and slotted into the goal with my left foot (GASP!) much to the dismay of the onrushing defenders trying to get there in time. I'm definitely going to try that one again.

Another great way to beat the keeper in a one-on-one is to watch where he is... if you see him take more than one step toward you (assuming you are rushing the goal) then it's CHIP TIME! Once the keeper is committed to coming out and stopping a shot, he's not in any position to move backward or even make too much of a side-dive to get a bending shot. Watch Thierry Henry as he approaches goal in 1v1 situations... the first thing he does is judge the keeper's intentions, and then adjusts his attack style accordingly.

12. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    When im coaching kids the one thing that i tell them is to hit the corners. Its the hardest part for a keeper to get too. The rest is keeping your cool and having an accurate pass past the keeper to curl it in into the corner. The harder you try and hit the ball the more likely it is the bounce of the keeper.

appleCORR

13. reticent

reticent New Member

Jun 15, 2006
    that was bad-ass

14. reticent

reticent New Member

Jun 15, 2006
    i think the best move is simple:

attack the goalie, go straight at him down the middle. get decently close enough, then swing your leg back and move your arms as if you're going to rocket off a monster shot, but instead on the forward swing just tap it off to the side.

you will look up and see that the keeper is sprawled on the ground because you faked him into diving for the ball. the goal will be wide open, your angle will be a bit off to the side, but you just tap it in.

i think this is the most successful move if you can get it down.

(i'm working on it as we speak!)

15. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    first try to take a shot. if the angle is closed you can either put it over his head and overlap him and score or you can fake him to go the other direction and go left/right really fast.

16. barthez4

barthez4 Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Step 1: 4 stepovers
    Step 2: 1 fake stepover
    Step 3: 2 stepovers
    Step 4 (as keeper advances): Rainbow over his head
    Step 5 (after the keeper has been rainbow-chipped): Stall on the back of your neck
    Step 6: Do 3 pushups while simultaneously shielding the ball as it sits on your neck
    Step 7: Get up, drop the ball onto the goal line and let it sit
    Step 8: Run back to the PK spot
    Step 9: Full sprint towards the ball
    Step 10: Diving header

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joga Bonito. :)

But in all seriousness, watch the way Henry does it. Most of his 1v1 goals are from the left side, taken with his right foot, and intially look like they're going to hit the right post or go wide, but they curl in beautifully. Just don't get so laid back that a keeper can read your shot, like in the France vs. Korea match at the World Cup.

Or just adapt your own comfortable system.

17. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I always liked the chip. Of course, you have to know how to execute the chip correctly. Not too much power, but not too little, and you have to get it high enough to clear the keeper. If it goes in you just scored a beautiful goal and embarressed the keeper, but if you miss, you wasted a golden opportunity for a goal...

18. youcan'tseeme

youcan'tseeme New Member

Aug 23, 2006
    Alliston, Ontario

19. boldaring

boldaring New Member

Jun 3, 2006
    if you are a really good dribbler you can cut the ball real quick then shoot, it should be open because it will be a new angle and the keeper wont be ready

20. sHperacLu

sHperacLu New Member

Jan 8, 2006
    There is, still one situation you haven't conjured up yet, and that's when you are attacking from the same side as your preffered foot. As you know, many players don't use their weak foot very well, and they are reluctant to dribble or take a shot with it. I am right footed, and when I attack from the right side, it's hard to beat the goalkeeper and still have a good angle to shoot on goal, because the tendency is to dribble to the keeper's left, thus closing your angle, and any smart keeper will charge in such a manner that you will do so.

I usually don't wait for the keeper to come too much out, because it will limit my ability tu bend the ball to the far post with the exterior of my right foot, because, as you know, a shot with the instep will have an "outward" bend, and the keeper has a far better chance of stopping it. If he DOES manage to come to me, while he dives for the ball, I use my left foot to push it beside him, thus gaining the momentum to go around him the other way, and have an easy ride to the net afterwards.

Of course, there are times when I do step over it with the left and go to the right, but I have a decent shot in angle, so there's no prob. BUT, any other tactics would help me a lot! :)

21. spaceranger

spaceranger New Member

Sep 9, 2006
    yep

22. angusmcpresley

Jun 6, 2002
    Melbourne
    Here's what I do:

Do a big head fake that doesn't fool the keeper at all. Then scuff the ball so that it rolls tamely to his feet.

I didn't say it ever works. That's why I play defense.

23. BuddyLee

BuddyLee New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Well for me it depends, if im in a central position ill point to a pass that would place me at the top corner of the 18 yrd box. Now the keeper would position himself to face me at the top corner of the box whether its left or right. As i begin to move in at a diagonal angle towards goal they usually come towards me (this being 1v1). Once they do that they leave the postion they were in to close my angle of attack. I just simply then slot it in the opposition where they were before.

Ok this long explanation prolly confused u ... to put it simply.
    1. Approach the goal from the top left corner of the 18 yrd ... keeper moves to the top left to close u down, slot it to the right side of the goal. Vice versa on opposite side.

2. If im at the center of the goal running towards the keeper, he will charge me. Dip my shoulder to the left to feint then push right or vice versa. He will be hesitatiing when you are coming at him full speed. he doesnt know if you are going to go right or left. but remember to push off with speed so he cant reach it. If you want to make it more dramatic when u push off kinda lag behind to draw the foul to get the penalty. But simply passing him is good enough for me.

3. If im outside the 18 yrd and i see him coming towards me, i just simply chip him.

4. If im outside the 18 yrd and he isnt coming, fly in and place a well paced shot to the extreme low corner of your choice.

But personally #1 works for me 90% of the times .... its the easiest in my opinion ... also always know that when u are 1v1 at the keeper he is at your mercy. he doesnt know where you are going to go so go in confident and you will score ... just as long as you polish up on your technique. I use more placement than power so work on accuracy if you dont have :cool:

24. Middle Of The Shed

Middle Of The Shed New Member

Feb 20, 2004
    London
    Nothing will work for sure because you could have a bazillion different situations, so it's all a matter of what's going on around you, just adjust to how the situations evolve.

And lets be honest who gives a ******** how you go round him just as long as you stick the ball in the net (the oppositions, not your own one ;))

25. smithxi

smithxi New Member

Aug 21, 2005
    just totally burn him around one side after you sell him "the fake"