How the USMNT Under Klinsmann Scores Goals

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by KALM, Jun 7, 2014.

1. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I made a similar thread a couple years back, but the overwhelming majority of the goals I looked at were from the Bob Bradley era, so I decided to do another one of these threads exclusively for the Klinsmann era. The criteria is the same as before: I’m looking at goals against top 50 Elo ranked teams at the time of those matches (excluding January camp and off-year Gold Cup matches), and looking for statistical leaders and common trends.

Once again, I’m limiting this to top 50 Elo sides because I’ve generally found that to be the approximate cut-off point for World Cup quality opposition. (And once again I’ve excluded January camp friendlies and the off-year Gold Cup because of the tendency for both sides to bring weakened squads to those.) We’ve played 29 matches that fit this criteria in the Klinsmann era: Mexico (five times), Belgium (twice), Ecuador, France, Slovenia, Italy, Scotland (twice), Brazil, Jamaica (twice), Russia, Honduras (twice), Costa Rica (twice), Germany, Panama (twice), Bosnia, Austria, Ukraine, Turkey, and Nigeria.

We’ve scored 43 goals in these matches, and we’ve let up 39 goals. The main contributors to our goals were as follows:

Goals

Dempsey – 10
    Altidore – 9
    Donovan – 4
    Bradley – 3
    E. Johnson – 3

Assists

Bradley – 6
    F. Johnson – 5
    Altidore – 3
    Dempsey – 3
    Jones – 3

Overall Production (Goals + Assists)

Dempsey – 13
    Altidore – 12
    Bradley – 9
    Donovan – 6
    F. Johnson – 6

MLS Assists (Assists + Secondary Assists)

Bradley – 10
    F. Johnson – 7 (was credited for a secondary assist on his own goal)
    Jones – 5
    Zusi – 4 (plus one pass leading to a PK)
    Altidore – 4
    Dempsey – 4

(For assists, I used USSoccer.com match reports. For secondary assists, I used those same reports and my own eyes.)

No surprise here: our main goalscoring threat is Dempsey followed very closely by Altidore. Our primary provider is Bradley, followed very closely by Fabian Johnson.

2. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Set Pieces, PK’s, and Run of Play Goals

Three of our goals were Penalty Kicks: Dempsey scored two and Altidore scored one. Fabian Johnson drew two of the three (with Zusi and Chandler providing the passes leading to them).

Two of our goals came off Direct Free Kicks: They were scored by Gomez and Altidore.

Five of our goals came from Corner Kicks, with five different goal scorers: Bradley, Cameron, Dempsey, E.Johnson, and Orozco. Zusi provided the delivery on two of those; Bradley, Donovan, and Davis provided delivery on the others.

If you exclude these statistics, we scored 33 goals from the run of play and our statistical leaders from the run of play look like this:

Goals

Altidore – 7
    Dempsey – 7
    Donovan – 4
    Bradley – 2
    E. Johnson – 2

Assists

Bradley – 5
    F. Johnson – 5
    Altidore – 3
    Jones – 3
    Dempsey – 2

Overall production (Goals + Assists)

Altidore – 10
    Dempsey – 9
    Bradley – 7
    F. Johnson – 6
    Donovan - 5

Assists + Secondary Assists

Bradley – 9
    F. Johnson – 7
    Jones - 5
    Altidore – 4
    Dempsey – 3

nekkibasara, tab5g, SOCCERMARINE and 7 others repped this.
  3. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for doing all this work @KALM.

4. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Recurring Themes From the Run of Play

Crosses

Around five of our goals came from traditional crosses from outside of the box. Beltran, Chandler, Davis, Fabian Johnson, and Zusi each provided one of the deliveries on these goals. Another nine involved a centering ball from closer in, but I grouped those separately. Fabian Johnson had four of the latter; Shea had two; Diskerud, Donovan, and Jones each had one.

Through Balls

Somewhere between six to eight of our run of play goals involved a defense splitting through ball that sent a runner in behind the opposition defense. This was a subjective call, but I found that Bradley made the key pass on four or five of those. Cameron, Jones, and arguably Fabian Johnson contributed on each on the others. (Fabian Johnson and Altidore were each twice on the end of those balls.)

Possession and Penetration

I tried to identify goals where we strung together at least four deliberate passes in the opposition half before putting the ball in the back of the net. I found at least six instances. There might have been a couple more, but probably not too many. In two of those plays (against Honduras and Panama), we strung together at least 6 passes in the opposition half before scoring. Bradley and Jones had the final pass on two plays each.

Long Distance Strikes

Five of our goals (plus two more from direct free kicks) were fired in from outside of the 18. Bradley was the only player who scored on more than one of these.

Target Play

I’ll divide this into aerial and non-aerial target forward play. We only had two goals that resulted from aerial target forward play, both against Russia, with Agudelo and Boyd as the primary contributors. But, six of our goals involved a forward in the attacking third holding up the ball or holding off a defender with his back to the goal until he could find a teammate. Altidore did it at least three times, Boyd did it twice, and Gomez did it at least once

One v One Skill

Four goals involved someone taking on a player with the ball at their feet and getting past them with one v one skill or speed. Shea did it twice (both against Mexico); Fabian Johnson and Diskerud each did it once (against Bosnia and Mexico respectively). (I didn't count it if a player used skill to gain a little room to get a shot or cross off.)

Rebounds

Three of our goals were scored off rebounded shots. Dempsey scored twice on those goals. Donovan scored once.

Deep High Pressure Turnover

Two goals were scored by forcing a turnover deep in the opposition half with high pressure. One resulted in a Germany own goal. The other resulted in a goal by Buddle against Slovenia – the turnover was forced by Dempsey’s pressure.

Long Ball

We scored only one goal off a hoof it long approach – Johannsson’s winner against Panama, started from a Guzan punt.

5. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I posted a complementary statistic in this last night but deleted it, because I realized you may be posting more information and I didn't want to steal your thunder.

Appearances in these 29 matches, for the 8 players that produced enough to make one of your top 5 charts:

Altidore 23 (21 starts)
    Jones 22 (20)
    Dempsey 21 (20)
    Bradley 19 (18)
    F. Johnson 19 (18)
    Zusi 14 (10)
    E. Johnson 13 (6)
    Donovan 7 (6)

6. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I'm planning on posting a bit more when I have time, but I wasn't planning on posting that one so I appreciate it.

One thing I only realized after my first post is that one of those 29 -- Belgium, the first time we played them -- was technically ranked 51st at the time by Elo. But we didn't score any goals in that game, and it's inexplicable that Belgium was ranked that low anyway, so I think it's okay to keep that in the appearance tally.

7. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very disturbing lack of influence from Zusi.

8. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting information. Thanks for this. A lot less set piece goals than people thought. Surprised it isnt even half.

9. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Not everybody can be as influential as Michael Bradley.

10. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    really interesting to see the majority of goals coming from so many different sources.

11. The_Dude

The_Dude Member+

Aug 21, 2004
    Can't be bothered to look up the minutes, but these guys are all starters to per match seems fair.

Goals & Assists / match
    -------------------------
    Donovan .71
    Dempsey .61
    Altidore .43
    Bradley .37
    FJohsnon .32

ebbro, Berks and chad repped this.
  12. The_Dude

The_Dude Member+

Aug 21, 2004
    #12 The_Dude, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    Since 2011 (not including send off series): (edit: as @KALM points out one post below, these stats are for ALL USMNT games from 2011, not the subset listed in the opening post)

Donovan
    12goals / 11 assists 2084 minutes .99 g&a/90 .52 goals/90
    Dempsey
    17g / 5 assists 2869 minutes .69 g&a/90 .53 goals/90
    Altidore
    11g / 3 assists 2247 minutes .56 g&a/90 .44 goals/90
    Wondo
    6g / 1 assist 665 minutes .95 g&a/90 .81 goals / 90
    Bradley
    4g / 5 assists 2,791 minutes .16 g&a/90 .12 goals / 90

Johannsson has 1 goal in 213 minutes
    Zusi has 4 goals in 1,112 minutes (.32/90)
    Mix has 2 goals in 718 minutes
    Bedoya has 1 goal in 1,423 minutes
    Davis has yet to score a goal.

13. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Just need to point out that those stats use a different match criteria than the one I'm using in this thread (and the prior thread I made).

Nothing wrong with that, but I figured I'd just make that clear so that there's no confusion.

14. The_Dude

The_Dude Member+

Aug 21, 2004
    Edited my post to reflect that - not trying to muddle the issue, though it is clear that it doesn't seem to matter which criteria you use, the order doesn't change any.

Klinnsmann has left a lot of goal scoring and creating at a bar in LA somewhere so the thread title will be an interesting question in Brazil.

15. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for this as well as the games or minutes played, that seems an important piece. I was surprised F. Johnson had so many games/starts, but perhaps he was playing all over the place which was dulling my memory. I hope he keeps up his form where he is currently playing, because he is starting to burn himself into my memory now.

16. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fabian played a lot of World Cup qualifiers

17. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I have KALM's list as follows. A couple of these countries like Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama and Jamaica were in and out of the ELO top 50, but I think I chose the right matches.

Fabian Johnson missed #1, 2, 3, 14, 15, 16, 23, 24, 25 and 27 and came off the bench in #4.
    1. Aug 2011 Mexico
    2. Sept 2011 Belgium
    3. Oct 2011 Ecuador
    4. Nov 2011 France
    5. Nov 2011 Slovenia
    6. Feb 2012 Italy
    7. May 2012 Scotland
    8. May 2012 Brazil
    9. Aug 2012 Mexico
    10. Sept 2012 Jamaica
    11. Sept 2012 Jamaica
    12. Nov 2012 Russia
    13. Feb 2013 Honduras
    14. March 2013 Costa Rica
    15. March 2013 Mexico
    16. May 2013 Belgium
    17. June 2013 Germany
    18. June 2013 Panama
    19. June 2013 Honduras
    20. Aug 2013 Bosnia
    21. Sept 2013 Costa Rica
    22. Sept 2013 Mexico
    23. Oct 2013 Panama
    24. Nov 2013 Scotland
    25. Nov 2013 Austria
    26. Mar 2014 Ukraine
    27. Apr 2014 Mexico
    28. June 2014 Turkey
    29. June 2014 Nigeria
    And since he's such a hot topic, I'll also list in detail what was going on with Landon Donovan for each of the 29 matches.

8 - Persona Non Grata (punishment for Cambodia: 14-19; cut from World Cup squad: 28-29)
    7 - Injuries/Illness (Quad: 3; bronchitis: 6; hamstring: 10-11; ankle: 23-25)
    6 - Starts (1, 7-9, 21-22)
    3 - November friendlies that conflicted with MLS playoffs (4, 5, 12)
    2 - midweek friendlies in Europe with minimal MLS callups (20, 26)
    1 - LD, Dempsey and Cherundolo were allowed to skip 1 of 2 fixtures due to being on 2 continents (2)
    1 - Ditching the Team, or Journey of Self-Discovery in Cambodia (#13)
    1 - Substitute appearance (27)

Marko72, deuteronomy, The_Dude and 5 others repped this.
  18. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    So, I promised I would update this. Here are the numbers for Klinsmann's entire time in charge against top 50 Elo opposition excluding January camp friendlies and the '13 Gold Cup. I've excluded player with less than 2 goals, 2 assists, 4 goals+assists, or 4 MLS assists.

Goals

Dempsey – 12 (2 of which were PKs)
    Altidore – 10 (2 of which were PKs)
    Donovan – 4
    Diskerud - 4
    Bradley – 3
    E. Johnson – 3
    Brooks - 2
    Gomez - 2
    Johannsson - 2
    Jones - 2
    Orozco - 2
    Wood - 2

Assists

Bradley – 9 (1 of which was a corner kick)
    F. Johnson – 6
    Altidore – 4
    Jones – 4
    Zusi - 4 (2 of which were corner kicks)
    Dempsey - 3
    Boyd - 2
    Chandler - 2
    Davis - 2 (1 of which was a corner kick)
    Donovan - 2 (1 of which was a corner kick)
    Yedlin - 2

Overall Production (Goals + Assists)

Dempsey – 15
    Altidore – 14
    Bradley – 12
    F. Johnson – 7
    Donovan - 6
    Zusi - 5 (plus one pass leading to a PK)
    Diskerud - 4

MLS Assists (Assists + Secondary Assists)

Bradley – 16
    F. Johnson – 8 (was credited for a secondary assist on his own goal)
    Altidore - 7
    Jones – 7
    Dempsey – 4
    Zusi – 4 (plus one pass leading to a PK)

If I made any errors while rushing through this, my apologies. I don't have as much time to work on these as I used to, but there shouldn't be any major errors.

Matrim55, Susaeta and deuteronomy repped this.
  19. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondolowski = underrated

20. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I thought it was going to take us a long time to find anyone who could come close to matching Landon Donovan's contributions as a provider, but those assist and secondary assist numbers are not that far away from the type of production Donovan was achieving at his peak.

Moreover, somewhere between 7-9 of those are killer/through balls, which for the most part wasn't how Donovan created goals.

21. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Furthermore we have scored at least a goal in 13 games in a row.

Unprecedented I believe.

NEVERMIND EDIT:::
    17 games in a row is the record.
    That was 2013.
    Next closest is 9 games in a row.