News: How Steel Tariffs Create Jobs

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by American Brummie, Mar 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Again, if your pizza doesn't come off the grill (or at least out of a brick oven) you are not doing pizza right.

2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    And you should not be trying to fold your pizza or eat it with a knife and fork. And Little Feat should be playing on the juke box because you had to drop 50 cents into the machine because you are tired of listening to RAP.

Now get off my lawn!

HerthaBerwyn repped this.
  3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I wouldn't use canned (jarred) shrooms again, but I wasn't thinking at the time.

No, I didn't. It was a spur/moment thing. There was a recipe book in a cabinet, so I looked it up and made a grocery list.

4. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Firstly, ******** you.

And finally, St. Louis stye pizza crust is more like matzoh than Pilsbury dough. And they don't use mozzarella, they use provel, God's gift to pasteurized dairy products.

russ repped this.
  5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Except most civilized places ban the importation if provel.

But if you can't score it, you can always use candle wax.

yossarian, ElJefe and russ repped this.
  6. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you imagine if Trump raised the tariff on imported Italian food?
    Whacked three days later,I tell ya.

7. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    :eek: When did the price for a tune go up from 5 cents?

Obama fail! :mad:

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The combination of thread title and opening post remains my favorite on BigSoccer even months later.

JohnR, crazypete13 and American Brummie repped this.
  9. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juxtaposed against my usually-wordy rants, I admit to being quite proud of myself. :)

crazypete13, song219, Ismitje and 2 others repped this.
  10. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I prefer my plátanos with cheese. But the pasta de guayaba sounds delish.

bigredfutbol and dapip repped this.
  11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/08/news/companies/tariff-job-cuts/index.html

South Carolina plant is cutting almost all its jobs due to tariffs. By itself, not that interesting of a story.

But here's the interesting part. (Element is the name of the company.)

"Element said on Twitter that it is working to have the parts removed from the tariff list, and hopes it can avoid closing the plant. In its notice, it also said it could reopen in three to six months. "

One trait of authoritarianism is to concentrate as much power as possible in the leader. (I guess that's tautological, but whatever.) Many companies have been able to persuade the Trump administration to exempt things they need from tariffs, but many have not.

Talk about the perfect campaign grift! Make a large number of companies literally dependent on your whims, then hit them up for campaign contributions.

Just wait, it's gonna happen. Maybe not with Element, but in 2019 and 2020 there's going to be 2-3 scandals a week (exhausting the media by flooding the zone with corruption) in which this or that corporation got a break on tariffs, and ponied up 6-7 figure donations to Trump's campaign.

bigredfutbol, M, sitruc and 1 other person repped this.
  12. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those people losing their jobs are true patriots.

American Brummie and dapip repped this.
  13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The true patriots are the ones who lose their job and still praise Trump. These South Carolinians, not so much.

bigredfutbol, American Brummie and dapip repped this.
  14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    China may not be able to buy soybeans from South America, they seem to be topped out in the short run, it will depend on how much investment the South Americans will make in the next few years to produce more soybeans.

If the South Americans want to try to increase their harvest, then the Amazon Jungle deforestation will probably accelerate.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/video/china-may-forced-resume-soybean-192200158.html

American Brummie repped this.
  15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How China may be losing the trade war.

If only they had not bribed the President, this trade war could have taken down a big Chinese company.

https://www.economist.com/finance-a...is-china-losing-the-trade-war-against-america

16. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    I will always rep Little Feat.
    'Get off my lawn' is the GOP's official foreign policy.

17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Does that mean the US is winning?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...an-soybeans-china_us_5b6cdcfee4b0530743c87c1d

The Peak Pegasus, owned by JP Morgan Asset Management, raced to China hoping to clear customs before China slapped a 25 percent tariff on U.S. soybeans to strike back against Trump administration tariffs, The Guardian reported.

It was scheduled to unload about 77,000 ton of U.S. soybeans in the northern Chinese port of Dalian on July 6. But it arrived too late and has been idling in the Yellow Sea ever since. It missed the deadline by just hours.

The ship will likely stay off the coast while owners of the cargo — believed to be agricultural commodities trading house Louis Dreyfus Co., based in Amsterdam — decide what to do, The Guardian reported.

-----------------------------------------

It costs about $12,500 a day to continue chartering the ship, according to The Guardian. So total costs to date to keep hanging around are already more than $400,000.
    So much winning!!!

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course they're losing. Everybody is losing. That's why trade wars are stupid.

russ and dapip repped this.
  19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is a stupid game to see who can take the most self inflicted pain, the USA based on current trade levels and dependency of products can take more pain.

Obviously the weakness of the USA is that we are a free democracy and people that feel the pain may complain and vote (well unless they are full blown Trumpists). In China, the censors and authorities will silence anyone that complains, so that is an advantage for China.

upload_2018-8-10_10-8-25.png

https://www.economist.com/the-world-this-week/2018/08/11/kals-cartoon

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The Turkish lira took a bit hit today, courtesy of Trump's metals tariffs. At least he did it to a fellow dictator.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a shit lot more than that going on with Turkey. The Turkish President is not dumb, he knew that bad economic times were coming, that is why he moved up the Election to last month. It worked.

22. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the exchange rate these days? When I was there in 1996, I bought 2 category 1 tickets to a Champions League match at Galatasaray for 3 million Lira. and another half-million for a knock-off jersey from a street vendor, which is a cheap insurance policy. We had about 20 million in cold, hard cash the next day when we went to the Grand Bazaar.

Sounds like we had a lot of money, but a million lira was about 12 bucks.

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WSJ on some of the ways China steals intellectual property.

While reading the article, I just kept thinking, so why do you keep making your products in China, if it is so bad, then stop.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-ch...2=dcm&tier_3=21953532&tier_4=0&tier_5=4508749

fatbastard repped this.
  24. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    I was there on my honeymoon in 2009. They knocked off a lot of decimal places on their currency by then. It was like 10:1 then. A beer was maybe 15 lira in a not completely touristy spot. Maybe 20 in those and ten elsewhere. Besiktas tickets were abt 15-20 USD. A room that would run 350USD/night in NYC/SF/BOS/DC or abt 140/night in a place like KC or Cleveland ran abt 80-90 bucks. Istanbul itself has become reasonably expensive. The rest of the country, not so much.

25. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    xtomx and sitruc repped this.