How much would it cost to take over an English football team?

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by AmericanLegend, Jan 11, 2010.

1. AmericanLegend

AmericanLegend New Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was having this debate with my friends. I was saying that a controlling interest in a League One or League Two side could be purchased for under two million pounds; they said more than that. Who's right?

2. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wrong forum. Moved

3. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd say it depends a lot on circumstances. Clubs have been bought for £1, but usually they've had bad debts.

Notts County's takeover was said to be a multi-million pound deal.

Brighton's new owner converted £18 million in loans into a 75% share or the club, although they are building an expensive new stadium.

Wrexham were bought for £3.25 in 2006, and Lincoln look to be going for the same price.

Charlton are apparently about to be bought for £30 million.

Swindon were bought for £10 million in 2007.

4. Tima

Tima Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Cambridge
    As has been said it depends on assets, debts and liabilities.

A lot of the value in a club is the real estate, if they own a training ground and city centre stadium then you would be looking at many millions.

If you buy a club who rent their ground, have no training ground and run at a loss you could get them for hardly anything.

5. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Which club do you want in League 1? Leeds will be pricey, but yes, £2M will buy a good slice of most other clubs!

6. JimmyTheHoover

JimmyTheHoover New Member

May 9, 2007
    Intermediaville
    You don't need anything! You just borrow the money, transfer the debt to the club, sell their best players, let the debt mount up until creditors are banging down the door, go into administration, get relegated into the conference and everything should be fine!

But i guess a 1 or 2 million loan is needed for some clubs in league 1 or 2.

7. SportsGuru

SportsGuru New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would say it all depends on the team, how much salary they have, expenses, and so on. So it could be more

8. TiltoKolapsas

TiltoKolapsas New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a better move would be to take over a Welsh football team. If you buy, say, Aberystwyth Town and hire a good coach and hire some pros away from Bradford City and Southend United and Darlington, you could fairly quickly become totally dominant in the Welsh Premier League, and fixtures in Europe every year, with exciting trips to glamorous places like Perm and Esbjerg and Skopje.

And you might even become economically sustainable as well if you win a few of those Europa League First, Second, Third, Fourth and Fifth Round Qualifying Games. The trick is to find a place where you can get a steady fanbase that isn't rugby-crazed, like...Aberystwyth?

9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Notts County's last 3 takeovers each cost £1.

10. JuveDybala10

JuveDybala10 New Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Nov 25, 2020
    Where can I buy it ? Lol
    [​IMG]

11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #11 Paul Berry, Nov 25, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    A lot of English football clubs have been bought and sold for £1 but they often come with a lot of debt.

Ken Bates bought Chelsea for £1 in 1982, Hull City were bought for £1 in 2010 and Swansea City were bought for £1 in 2001. Steve Morgan bought Wolves for a pricey £10 from Sir Jack Hayward. Glasgow Rangers collapsed a few years after being sold for £1 and a few years ago Parma were sold for €1 but their "assets" included €70 million of debt.

The thing is that its virtually impossible to run a European soccer club at a profit but it's very easy to lose your shirt.

Keep an eye on Oldham Athletic and Reading FC, both forever EPL clubs, if you want a bargain.

jjsocr repped this.
  12. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    The Peak District, England
    Quite right, and Wolves were sold with no debt. The low price was dependent on Morgan investing substantial funds into Wolves. Having supported the club since his childhood, sir Jack Hayward loved Wolves and wanted the money to the club rather than his bank balance. I'm not sure many owners would give away a club so cheaply, having rebuilt most of the stadium and invested heavily in the team.

Paul Berry repped this.
  13. Courtneysmith

Courtneysmith Member

marseille
    Scotland
    Aug 25, 2020
    a lot more than the £1 Greig Whyte paid for Glasgow rangers in 2012.