How much would it cost to get the real estate people to drop "MLS"

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by themodelcitizen, Feb 26, 2019.

1. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ballpark figure? I feel like we won't be a big 5 league in the US if we're not even the biggest MLS. Time to force a WWF/WWE style showdown and either convince the real estate people to drop MLS and mls.com, or change the league's name? I hear NASL is available?

Mostly joking. If only because a new name would end up being "the Budweiser American Premiership" or something silly...

mschofield repped this.
  2. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To quote one of my favorite characters in fiction: Well more than you can imagine!

oknazevad, JasonMa and song219 repped this.
  3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I don't know. Maybe the footballers can stop their football thing and start selling real estate. Many of them are pretty personable.

mschofield repped this.
  4. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ah, the Nat Borchers career path. Beats buying a pub I guess...

5. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, I can imagine quite a bit.

oknazevad, song219 and JasonMa repped this.
  6. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    To keep on this fiction trend.

"You don't buy me out, I buy you out."

7. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Multiple Listing Service won't change their name. Major League Soccer isn't any more likely to get that than if a league called itself the National Rugby Association (same name format as the NBA) and wanted the National Rifle Association to change its name.

9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    but then they'd have to fight a K-Pop band for that acronym... BTW, surely Bud Adidas Premiership?

10. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Which is why it was a terrible move to pick a league name they couldn't even get the dot com domain name for. If the Liga MX merger goes ahead and "MLX" doesn't fly, then it will be a perfect time to get the NASL trademarks on ebay ;)

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 1993 most companies didn't care about the .com domain name.

billf and mschofield repped this.
  12. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Exactly. Clinton's quote about "when I took office, only high energy physicists had ever heard about the internet" might explain why MLS wasn't worried about competition for a web domain. I would guess the metro listing service didn't have it either. Itcould have gone unclaimed for another couple years. Remember the mid to late mid 90s it was still a legit business model to buy up domain names of massive companies that hadn't jumped online yet?
    I can't find web numbers going back any further than 1995, when, worldwide, there were only 16 million netizens and .mil, .gov and .edu were the addresses that mattered, but I think it's safe to say that it usage was significantly lower than what would now be considered nonexistant.
    I remember in 1994 we had a research program set up to study the future of the digital world (wasn't called that yet) and my old boss confidently concluded, "the internet is a fad."

oknazevad, billf, EvanJ and 1 other person repped this.
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know somebody who owned budweiser.com, guinness.com and beer.com. He got a year's supply of Bud, a trip to Dublin for a tour of the Guinness brewery, and 6 figures out of those 3 domains.

billf and mschofield repped this.
  14. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I know it sounds crazy stupid to younger people who grew up with the internet, but it was not then what it is now. I remember the debate: will the world wide web be, basically, the new CB radio?
    Very, very few people back then had a clue of what it was to become, and we know it was very few because they're all now multi-billionaires.

oknazevad, billf and JasonMa repped this.
  15. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The original MLS domain, mlsnet.com, was registered 12/29/1997. That's after the league had played two seasons. Somebody can correct me if they had a website at a different domain before that.

I remember that the San Jose Clash's first official website was created voluntarily by a fan, hosted on his dial-up ISP's web hosting service, with a URL something like www. something. net/~clash. (Spaces added to avoid creating a fake link.)

EvanJ, mschofield and JasonMa repped this.
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapids hosted their own forums on their website back in the late 90's, before BigSoccer started and everyone transitioned here. I actually moderated one of the forums there. I also was (and still am) friends with their original webmaster they contracted to build and run the site, even to the point of him "sub-contracting" to me a couple of site updates while he was on vacation (mainly just scores and standings updates).

EvanJ repped this.
  17. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over 100 years after it started, when MLB made a website, they were www.majorleaguebaseball (.com not to create a link) because www.mlb (.com not to create a link). I'm guessing the Multiple Listing Service is more well known than whoever had www.mlb (.com not to create a link) back then.

The New York Knicks bought a domain (I don't remember what it was) that some people would type in guessing it would be for the Brooklyn Nets, and the Knicks redirected it to the Knicks website. That was years ago, and they may have stopped.

mschofield repped this.
  18. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We're also glossing over the fact that the multiple listing service actually represents a $15 trillion industry. The only reason they might relinquish their established domain cheaply would be if they decided, you know, location isn't such a big deal after all.

blacksun, billf, oknazevad and 1 other person repped this.
  19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is this internet thing that you guys are talking about?

mschofield repped this.
  20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "multiple listing service"
    About 42,800,000 results (0.55 seconds)

"major league soccer"