How many veterans are going to retire from NT after this WWC?

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Slowpokeking, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I guess Sinclair, Lindahl, Formiga and Carney will quit.

Maybe Seger, Lloyd Marta, Cristiane and more?

2. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Lloyd wants to start a family after the Olympics or maybe she won't wait until Olympics. She was already interviewed about this and it's looking like she's considering retirement maybe after the victory tour. I think she's in the same place Wambach was after the last WWC win.

Rapinoe is 34 so she'd be 38 or something come next world cup so I wouldn't be surprised if she hung up the boots after the Olympics.

Karen Carney already announced her retirement the day before the 3rd place match.

Sinclair is going to get the record and then probably retire shortly after so I'm guessing she's playing on the Olympic roster.

I would guess the same for Caroline Seger and Lindahl to be playing for the Olympics since they qualified before they retire but I don't represent them so who knows.

Marta maybe hinted that she's not going to be around forever in that emotional post-match interview that didn't leave a dry eye in the house. Whether that means she's retiring, staying for the Olympics, or sticking around until Brazil can play without her, time will tell.

Formiga I think is going to keep going until she can't. She is extraordinary.

I remember when Lauren Holiday retired, that was a big shocker to everyone since nobody expected her to be done. So maybe there might be a surprise retirement, Julie Ertz perhaps so that she can have a baby with her financially successful husband?

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    With WWC and Olympics being in back-to-back years in women's football, I don't see so many players retiring just after the WWC: if their team qualified (or can reasonably qualify) for the Olympics, I can see many of them keeping on for at least another year. :coffee:

(Of course I had an opposite example in the very country I root for, since Homare Sawa retired after WWC 2015 and she didn't even wait for the 2016 Olympics' qualifier, that Japan subsequently went to miss! :x3:).

4. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the US players:
    Lloyd has made it clear this was her last WC. After 2015, she had said she wanted to stay through the 2020 Olympics, but I think coming off the bench could have changed her mind. Somewhere recently I saw a quote that made me question her staying through the Olympics. I think Rapinoe will stay through the Olympics and retire after that. I can also guess that Sauerbrunn will retire after the Olympics as well. I don't see Krieger making a smaller Olympic roster, but I don't know if she'd officially retire.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  5. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    At 39, Ingrid Hjelmseth is now retiring for Norway. She will finish the club season first at Stabæk though.

jnielsen, Kakeru and blissett repped this.
  6. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Lindahl went public today that she is staying for the Olympics (and nothing hard if she are leaving after them or not).
    Seger said after the bronze game that she have very hard seeing herself playing another WWC but is very tempted to stay for the Olympics (but she has not yet committed to that).

jnielsen, Kakeru, blissett and 2 others repped this.
  7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Bussaglia announced before the tournament that she would retire from international football.

jnielsen repped this.
  8. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    How about Thiney?

9. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    No one else has announced anything, my expectation is a few won't be called back for the training camp end of August.

10. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    With three years between Olympics and '23 WWC, Ertz could give birth and return. Remember Joy Fawcett? Carla Overbeck? Christy Rampone? Probably others I am forgetting as well.

11. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nilla Fischer announced before the WC that she was retiring.

blissett repped this.
  12. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Any link for that? I can't find anything in Swedish media, apart from something vauge about she didn't see herself continuing in the WNT after the WWC. And she been pretty clear after the Bronze that she has not decided either way yet.

blissett repped this.
  13. natbat20

natbat20 New Member

orlando pride
    United States
    Jan 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i feel like ali krieger is getting up there also Sinclair will most likely retire after olympics

14. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France