How many tickets are sold for the game on sat?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by worldcup76, Sep 15, 2002.

1. RevsSoccerFan

RevsSoccerFan New Member

May 2, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Magpie - you beat me to it with this post. Thank you for articulating it better than I would.

A few comments...

I agree.

True. As far as in-stadium security and concessions staff...I would think if they open up a section or 2 next to the goals/end zones in the corners, they can keep the cost lower than it would be if they opened up the sideline/midfield seating. I don't think they would have to open up more concessions in this scenario as people can get to the endzone McDonalds and concessions in the goal/endzone areas fairly easily/quickly.

I would think they wouldn't need too many additional in-stadium security staffers if they are just covering another aisle and another 30 or 40 feet or so on the concourse. (Not sure of the dimensions of those corner sections).

But yes, there would be added cost for parking attendants, State Police etc. And they are running short on time to get the additional personnel if they weren't expecting this kind of crowd for the last match. Also, not sure what the event permit states as the capacity for the match and what stadium issues there are related to getting Gillette ready for the Patriots match up on Sunday. Some other x-factors there.

My thoughts exactly.

Agreed. For current season ticket holders, I think it would help the renewal factor if we felt they did everything they could to increase the capacity for this match. I don't know how much is in control of the Revs staff and how much falls with the Patriots or Gillette Stadium staff, but I would certainly feel better on Saturday if I knew all the work season ticket holders are putting into promoting and selling more tickets for this match was rewarded. Even if only for one night. (Baby steps).

2. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    Let me play devil's advocate for a minute.

Out of all you people who have, or will, buy tickets in advance, how many are doing so because there is the possibility that the game could "sell out" before Saturday night?

Out of that group, how many would still buy a ticket if (1) there was a certainty that tickets would be available on a walk-up basis on Saturday night, and (2) it was raining heavily with temperatures in the 50s on Saturday night?

The point of the policy is to get people to buy tickets ahead of time, so that the impact on ticket sales from variables such as the weather can be minimized. Since it seems that the pre-sale for this game is approaching 20k, I'ld say the policy is working pretty well. So if the weather sucks on Saturday, meaning no walk-up sales, attendance (or tickets sold) will still be pretty good.

Having said that, let me say that turning people away when there are thousands of empty seats in the stadium would be ridiculous. You guys know the Krafts better than me, but they can't be that misguided, can they? I'ld like to think that the company line is that tickets sales will be limited to 22K, but, in reality, anyone showing up at the stadium with money for a ticket will be accomodated. This way, you encourage advance sales but don't alienate fans/potential fans who don't buy in advance.

3. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    Great Post Paul Nasta. I hope your comment puts an end to all this speculation. I am sure they will not turn anyone away Saturday. If they do It would be a sad day in Rev Land.

I wouldn't be suprised if Gillette opened not the other side of the stadium, but the 200 section on the seating side of the stadium. It makes more sense since this way they would not have to hire as many staffers to man the consessions, security etc....

Just my take.

BTW how many people can fit in the 200 section (blue seats to the left and right of the luxury seats (red))?

4. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    One more addition... putting people in the 200 section would make it more attractive to the Television viewing audience as well...

When I called earlier in the week I was told that it would probably sell out sometime within the walkup crowd on saturday... I cannot see them sending fans away without tickets... money in hand... I also told the ticket agent that I had about 10 people that would come to the game but i did not have the cash to pay in advance since i would not see those people until then.... he said it would not be a problem but to call back on saturday morning to check on availablity for the game before they came down without tickets in hand.

5. jjx2

jjx2 New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Hyde Park, Ma
    I actually talked my friend to buy into the game- he will pay to open up his luxury suite (and I turned down sitting in it- and we'll remain in our regular seats) for a bunch of his labor force- only one or two who have ever attended a Rev match but follow various European leagues>not certain what it costs but think it is a "pretty hefty" sum just to open his box- so that should help the bottom line a little!

Jon

6. keepersdad73

keepersdad73 New Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Kraft dedication to soccer

If they can't see their way clear to sell seats to any and everybody who want's one for the biggest match in club history, they're gone. I still think when the season's over MLS soccer leaves Foxboro.

7. And goes where?

8. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    So if the weather sucks on Saturday, meaning no walk-up sales, attendance (or tickets sold) will still be pretty good.

You can sell 22,000 tickets for Saturday, and yes, if the weather sucks, that's still money in the bank if those seats go unfilled.

But we're talking about tickets sold as it could translate to "fannies in the seats."

22,000 on a sunny day with that many showing up is ten times better than 22,000 tickets sold with 17,000 showing up because the weather's lousy.

The Magpie

9. moacir

moacir New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Figueira da Foz, PT
    Still selling...

My wife bought 3 tickets a couple of hours ago. No 143 or that side. Tickets sold on 122 row 1.

She called the REVs first and talked to "Craig", but had to buy from Ticket Bastards.

10. worldcup76

worldcup76 Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    So mcuh for selling out before the game.

11. ManInBlack

ManInBlack New Member

Jul 6, 2001
    VT
    Ticketshafter offers 4 seats as best available/all sections on Fri. 8:45 a.m. ET
    SECTION 116, ROW 28, SEATS 5 TO 8

That's the little pie-slice over the team tunnel in the SE corner.

12. soren_k

soren_k New Member

Oct 28, 2001
    Re: Still selling...

In one of the news stories Danizinho posted this morning, the author mentioned that the team was hoping for 30k, though he didn't quote anybody. Hard to figure how that would work...

13. worldcup76

worldcup76 Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    If they opened up more sections, I bet with a nice night they could maybe get 28K max

14. George Griffin

George Griffin New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Prince Edward Island
    Coach Murphy said in a new article that they are hoping for 30K. Of course the news piece had at least 6 major errors in it so knows.

I'm not worried about the 22K cap being enforced tomorrow night.I'm willing to bet that anyone who shows up at Foxboro will be seated. These are the kind of games that will hook people and get them back next year (that is if the Revs get the job done).

15. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    not that those guys know much about what's up here...if anything. but, keough mentioned twice last night that it was going to be a 22k sellout here in the current seating config, and stone later mentioned (err on his part i believe) when they were scrolling the weekend matchups that "there will be 16,000 there for that one". when they showed "metrostars v new england"

i'd just throw all of their knowledge out the window....but, i wonder if anyone, here in the area, that picked up on the comments will be affected in the slightest about heading to foxboro or not by them mentioning this stuff.

16. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    The COuntdown

31 hours 30 minutes.....

17. worldcup76

worldcup76 Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Whatever the revs do, opening up more sections or not its still gonna be a great game. I can't believe there is only one day left, come on

18. worldcup76

worldcup76 Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Its sad we couldn't even sell this game out before the day of the game.

19. RevsSoccerFan

RevsSoccerFan New Member

May 2, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From weather.com

As of 6:53 PM EST...

Forecast for Saturday 9/21 Partly Cloudy 81°/62°

Did anyone hear a ticket total yet?

20. RuiJorge2002

RuiJorge2002 New Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Southeastern MA
  21. worldcup76

worldcup76 Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    I really don't see a big deal to open up another section or two.

22. RuiJorge2002

RuiJorge2002 New Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Southeastern MA
    Yeah, I'm thinking they'll open more up if the people come... the media hype is probably just to get people to buy in advance.

Kraft will take every opportunity he can get to get some extra cash. i think i read in another thread that the prices for playoff games has been raised, so that just goes to show you. :)

23. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    Looks like they didn't have to turn anyone away.

MLS Net's reported attendance was 20,215.

24. Do you think this was a result of people thinking there would be no tickets left to get in?

BTW, Congrats on winning the conference. Your fans have been very loyal. You deserve it. We certainly don't.