how many posts do i need to start a thread

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by chippybrady, May 29, 2012.

1. Simasports

Simasports New Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Hi guys,

I am from France, The company I work for is looking to hire soccer fans in the US to collect data on MLS matches live from stadium,

I would love to post an ad here with all details, but I am new and of course not allowed to start any thread,

Could someone possibly post it for me ?

Thanks in advance,

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 - You are not allowed to solicit business on bigsoccer via posting (you can link a website in your signature or on your profile)
    2 - New posters are not allowed to start threads for the reason given in 1 (we consider that to be spam).
    3 - You should contact dark knight if you want to propose some business.

3. Simasports

Simasports New Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC

Thanks a lot soccernutter,

I will get in touch with him today,

Regards,

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand having a rule against posting to attract customers to a person's business, but what Simasports said was to attract employees. Is there a rule against posting to attract employees for work relating to soccer and if so, why? Is posting to attract employees for work relating to soccer any worse than what happens in the forum where soccer equipment can be bought and sold?

5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a solicitation for business, which is a no-no as stated in the TOS. There have been numerous attempts by members over the years posting to attract BS members to become part of a new/competing website, or other such entity that could cause loss of traffic to BS. Yet, I agree that there is some gray area here as it is not a a blog/BB-type request, hence the reason the post was not deleted.

The soccer equipment has a slightly different standard on this issue than most of BS, AFAIK, due to the purpose of the forum. It was created in part, I believe, to prevent spammers/solicitations.

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it is wrong, but every time I see this thread bumped or the thread title, I just want to reply "It only takes one post to start a thread" even though I know what the OP means. :)

Sima, dark knight is indeed your point of contact for such a gray area decision.

7. MoosefesteR

MoosefesteR Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Seattle
    Ah, I see I've stumbled on the hidden Liverpool supporter's thread. Excellent.

My only question is, who let in these Arsenal supporters?

8. Wytefang

Wytefang Member

May 11, 2013
    I've met the requirements but have yet to have my ability to post a thread activated, unfortunately. :( I'm quite pleased to see that this site actually has dedicated thread for players, coaches, and refs. I'm FAR more interested in discussing the playing of the sport vs. discussing other people getting to play the sport. :) Hopefully the somewhat draconian (with good reason, I suppose) system approves my ability at some point in the nearer, rather than farther out, future. :D

9. Coach E.

Coach E. New Member

May 4, 2013
    Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I will chime in and express frustration at having signed up here and and then finding I really can't participate. I asked for assistance but received none from mods. I personally came to the forum to learn, so it would be nice to be able to post questions. Oh well....

10. Wytefang

Wytefang Member

May 11, 2013
    Yep, despite posting and interacting a bunch AND getting reps (clearly showing that I'm not a spam-bot) and despite several messages to the Admin/Mod here, I still seem to lack the ability to post my own thread. :( This seems like a clumsy and inefficient way to handle things. Maybe we have to learn the secret handshake first, on our own, Coach E.? LOL

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These arethe requirements...

As stated by the boss, himself.

FYI, I understand your concerns, but as stated, it is spam prevention. It is a balance, but know that we delete many, many spam posts/users a week.

12. Wytefang

Wytefang Member

May 11, 2013
    I believe ya. Spam is the bane of any forum these days. Super annoying stuff.

13. Coach E.

Coach E. New Member

May 4, 2013
    Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I don't get, is that I am on many forums (much larger and much smaller) - - and none take this approach. In fact, I think this is the only forum I have ever seen take this approach. There has to be a better way. Does this post "count" LOL?

14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got a suggestion?

15. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a member of other forums that take this same approach. If you feel you have a thread that needs immediate creation the mods for that sub-forum are listed a simple PM to them requesting that they create a thread on your behalf will often work.

16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good point. The mods of each forum used to be listed, but not since the current software was implemented.

17. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ? Unless I am missing something each forum now lists it mod(s). If a forum has no mod listed it would indicate no assigned mod. Do you have an example of a modless forum?

18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are listed at the top of each forum, unless, like edwardgr says, there are no mods for that forum. There are a few out there...

19. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
  20. Thai

Thai Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too have found that I am unable to post new threads. I've been posting here on and off for almost a year, and have accumulated 158 posts so far. I would have assumed that that would be far more than enough to escape new user posting restrictions. I think I remember posting one thread before, but today I had an idea for a thread I wanted to start but I found that I am not allowed to. What's up?

Wytefang repped this.
  21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where was this thread you attempted to start? (In what forum?) I ask as some fora have spam/redundancy prevention via mod approval of a new thread.

22. Thai

Thai Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was on the MLS: General forum. But now that I look into it, I find that I am unable to post threads on any of the forums I generally frequent (MLS General, San Jose Earthquakes, Asian Football Confederation).

If it's just to prevent spam, then that's pretty ridiculous, because I barely ever post new threads to begin with. Also, I am barely ever able to Rep anybody's posts.

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe both MLS General and San Jose have restrictions, though I could be wrong. They are both for non spam reasons. I am not sure about Asian forum.

Rep is a different issue. Repost that in the problem in Bugs subforum in the existing thread.

Wytefang repped this.
  24. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago

I don't mean to sound grumpy, but this never got fixed. I still can't create new threads (at least most of the time, sometimes I randomly have the ability.

Also, whereas last time I posted my ability to rep was similarly sporadic, I have been unable to rep for about a solid month now.

Niether of these are huge deals, but it is disappointing to not give meaningless rep to posters who I feel deserve it

EDIT: If it matters, I basically post exclusively on the Chicago Fire forum

2nd EDIT: I should have read the new posts, rather than just searching for my original complaint. Just saw your advice in the above post to a problem identical to mine, SoccerNutter

25. Wytefang

Wytefang Member

May 11, 2013
    What I did was start sending messages to the higher up admins requesting (politely) their assistance with releasing the posting restrictions. That finally did the trick.