How many points do we need for a playoff spot ?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TRUJDUB, Jul 22, 2019.

1. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    To be honest a well booked Lilith Fair has more thrills than either.

puttputtfc and zman31 repped this.
  2. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Yes, they were never declared toast. The toast threads have only been around for 10 years or so.

3. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like to think that anything that happened during the ShootOut era is invalid, anyway.

4. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Porter started off by saying he intended to tweak the 3G system to bring a bit more press and direct play. I know we haven't had exactly a MLS quality group of players for long stretches this season, but I'm hopeful we can see a bit more of that. Some bite in the middle, use our new speed on the right wing a tad more. I love that Jesse Marcsh video of him describing the RB press with the goal to win the ball high, have the first pass always, ALWAYS go forward. Then they show 3 highlights of goals from RB senior, RB 2 and RB academy all doing exactly that.

I'd like to see some tactical philosophy shown on the field at some point.

5. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    9th place is looking responsable. We could beat San José and Cincinnati and still not catch up to that last playoff spot .

But building for next year is easier with wins

6. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    We did our part and got 3 but Montreal, New England and Toronto did as well. Still 9 back with 10 games to go (could be 11 if New England and Toronto win their game in hand). But we're not dead yet...

TrueCrew repped this.
  7. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know for a team that took 2 months off, the Crew is not in a hopeless situation. They got 7 points in their last three games, if they can replicate that (7 points in the next three) I may start running scenarios that would allow them to be in the playoffs.

But as someone else pointed out, we really need two teams (in playoff consideration) collapse down the stretch for us to have a realistic chance.

hangthadj repped this.
  8. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Doesn’t help either that the three teams directly ahead of us in the standings have a game in hand, and that one is coached by Bruce Arena and has been very good for about two months now instead of pretty okay for 3 games.

TyphonInc and Aaron d repped this.
  9. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the misery of this season, if we can leapfrog Chicago and Orlando to finish in 9th, I'd be satisfied. Just doing that will require us to finish out the season in good form, which would make the last ten games enjoyable to watch and give us some real confidence and momentum going into 2020.

Alneri and TRUJDUB repped this.
  10. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. That was a nice road win. But we are going to need some more.

Have to get AT LEAST 18 pts from these last 10 games (42 points), probably 21 (45 points).

At SJ may be the toughest game left on our schedule (or at NYC, or at ATL). Bright side is if we win, we could really go on a nice little run:

7/17: at Chicago; 2-2 draw
    7/20: Montreal; 2-1 win
    7/27: at NYRB; 3-2 win
    8/3: at SJ
    8/10: Cincy
    8/17: Toronto
    8/21: at NYC
    8/25: at Cincy
    8/31: Fire

Then we get 2 weeks off before the final stretch, which is a bit tougher (at ATL, at Van, Philly, at TFC).

TRUJDUB repped this.
  11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We just have to hope 1 team in PO contention fades a bit. NE does not fit the bill. I'd look at MTL, NYRB, or DC. We have two games left with TFC, win both and we nearly catch them.

Still an extreme longshot. Another road win and a win vs Cincy and I will start to really believe.

TRUJDUB, Draghignazzo and hangthadj repped this.
  12. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Columbus @ San José- a draw might not be good enough at this point but a loss would be devastating

FC Dallas @ Orlando - We need a draw just to tie Orlando in the standings to move up one spot

Chicago @ Houston - we need Dynamo to win which should happen to pass Chicago in the standings

Catching the following teams will be very difficult:But we need to pass 2 of these teams to get the 7th spot

NYRB - we dont play these three teams anymore
    New England
    Montreal

Toronto - we play them twice so that helps

Back to this weeks schedule :

Toronto @nyrb - we need a draw

LAFC@ NE- if anyone can beat them at home maybe it’s LA but a draw would be just fine

Montreal @ Colorado - Lets hope Kamara can help us out with a win, even a draw would be ok

Teams we are not likely to catch :
    Philadelphia, NYCFC ( bunch of games in hand )
    Atlanta , DC

NYCFC @ RSL- want a RSL win
    Philadelphia @ DC ( Sunday 8/4) - we need the Union to win or a draw

LAG @ Atlanta - Lets go Zaltan

Bottom line we have to beat San Jose because we’re behind and we can not lose anymore games this season. We need lots o

DGA57v2 repped this.
  13. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool post, and I am not a mod, but why don't we continue in the PTS for PO thread.

And, we do not need to jump Chicago, we already have.

14. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I close this thread, I get yelled out for doing so. If I leave it, people tell me to merge it.

I'd possibly suggest people should check to see if said topics already have threads, but then people tell me to quit being a forum nazi mod stupidface and that this is 'murica and that they can say what they want!!!

So whatever..... it's just getting left.

TrueCrew, YITBOS, Draghignazzo and 2 others repped this.
  15. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least we tell you that sort of stuff to your face.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  16. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Continuing TRUJDUB's thoughts on next week-end:

1) Crew (24 pts) at SJ. Tough one. Great turnaround for SJ this year. We have 10 games left. Need 18 points (min). Maybe more. Cannot affird to drop points in more than 3-4. This is one of our toughest games left (at NYC midweek, at ATL). But some of the teams we are chasing also face tough games (NE hosts LAFC, TFC at NYRB). Save for a late season trip to last place Vancouver, this is our last game vs the west.

2) ORL (26 pts) v DAL (33 pts). We are 2 points behind Orlando, equal on wins with a worse GD, and they have a game in hand. We win and FCD wins is the only way we climb into 9th after this week.

3) TFC (8th, 32 pts). At NYRB (34 pts). Both have a GIH on us. Draw, NY win, TFC win are my preferred outcomes. But a chance to gain on someone.

4) NE (7th, 33 pts). Hosts LAFC (49 points). Hopefully LAFC spanks them. NE has a game in hand on us.

5) MTL (6th, 33 pts). At Colorado (20 pts). Rapids are bad but tough at home. MTL was stumbling before spanking Philly. Piatti back and a stellar 2 goal debut from a summer signing. No GIH for MTL.

6) DC (3rd, 36 pts, no GIH). Hosts Philly (1st, 39 pts). Lets hope Philly bounces back. DC is probably out of range, but so too is everyone save Orlando.

If we are going to make a run, I am not worried about Chicago, they will be a non-factor. Plus, we have them at home at the end of the month. Take care of business there. Still, hope for Houston to help us.

TyphonInc, TRUJDUB and Draghignazzo repped this.
  17. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh, as long as people aren't douchebags and causing fights all over the place or starting tons of shit threads, I don't really care.

18. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Seems to me that we now have two parallel conversations happening in two threads. I'd be happy to merge the threads if trujdub agrees.

cleazer and LaMacchia repped this.
  19. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    @TrueCrew you left out NYCFC who is 4th with 35 points and plays at RSL next week. Obviously we'd be rooting for a RSL win.

TRUJDUB and Draghignazzo repped this.
  20. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started by the same person!

Of course they should be merged.

21. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah I’m fine with merging but this was more focused on the games this week . So it doesn’t matter either way.

We are tied on points with Chicago so let’s pass them not rely on tiebreaker because Garner might make a new rule and it would not favor us right ?

22. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No need to start a new thread every few days for the next round of games.

I know some people here have a real persecution complex, but MLS isn't going to change the official tie-breaker rules two-thirds of the way through the season. (Not that the difference between 10th and 11th matters for jack squat anyways.)

Now, if they hadn't even bothered to announce them yet, and just wanted to wait until they saw how things were shaping up before actually finalizing the rules, that'd be another thing entirely. I think MLS has been very late to announce the playoff rules some years.

chr1st, Alneri and LaMacchia repped this.
  23. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Merged. Come at me bros.

chr1st, TRUJDUB, LaMacchia and 2 others repped this.
  24. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Stupidface.

chr1st, CybrSlydr and Kyle Crew repped this.
  25. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #75 TRUJDUB, Jul 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    Well we have our work cut out I think we can manage a draw at San Jose because i didn’t realize just how good they have been. If we can win that really says a lot about us .

Hottest Team in MLS

The Earthquakes are 9-2-4 in their last 15 MLS regular season matches. The club has won three straight and is 5-1-0 in their last six matches.

Home or Away

The Quakes improved to 3-1-1 in their last five road matches, their best five-match road stretch since 2012 (3-1-1).

Avaya Fortress

The Earthquakes are undefeated in their last eight home matches, holding an 7-0-1 record at home since April 6.