How many of you would support NY2?

Discussion in 'NY/NJ Off Topic' started by badideas, Nov 16, 2012.

?

Would you consider supporting a second New York Team?

1. I would stop supporting the Red Bulls and start supporting NY2

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. I would continue supporting the Red Bulls

15 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. I would support both teams

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  1. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At what point is Red Bull not just an energy drink / lifestyle company and also a real sports company? They own/sponsor a few soccer teams, a whole bunch of other sporting events, as well as the most successful team in arguably the second most popular sport in the world. That's not completely irrelevant.

The absentee ownership is absolutely an issue. The keeping of Rafa Marquez (not sure his signing was completely for marketing reasons, he was good... once) sucks, though is defensible (not that anyone in their right mind would).

I don't see how it helps Red Bull for their team to suck, and surely it would benefit them if they won.

As for the Cosmos, is it about the soccer? Yes, it's a soccer brand, from 30 years ago. That ceased long ago. And yet, they still sell merchandise? Why? We have domestic teams that actually play soccer here, what's the point?

2. I<3NJ

I<3NJ Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Jersey Shore/Philadelphia
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sports are about community, and I think soccer fans understand that much better than other sports fans in this country. Especially this day in age with all kinds of media and live sporting events just a click away at any time. You can also have this conversation with your buddy who's a Heat "fan". Some people just don't get it. If you've been to Europe, for instance, and you've observed those who commit themselves to the soccer teams that play in their specific cities, towns, neighborhoods, and for the very reason they put their lives behind those clubs, you get it. I'm not trying to pull the "we should be more like Europe" garbage, that's just how I developed my sense of community.

If a team pops up in your neighborhood, I do not blame you if that's the team you choose to support. In fact, I'd encourage it. Hand over your scarf and have a nice life. We didn't have the luxury of teams that were organized organically and in most cities and towns, so we didn't get to grow up going to the soccer park down the road and see our local team play division II games in front of a thousand people. We didn't get to have a team in each and every community, rooted in it well before we were even born. We have to wait, and we have to hope we get teams as close to our community as possible to support. If circumstances came along that allowed a new team to play in a neighborhood closer to where you live, or where you're from, no one should give you any trouble when you rightfully decide that you belong supporting that club.

As far as NY/NJ are concerned, they are in no way shape or form one community. Not at all. If you believe that one team can adequately represent both sides of the river, you've never been to a Devils-Rangers game. I hope NY2 does happen. The city can have their team that represents their community, and we can have ours, and we can have a great rivalry. Personally, I also hope a team in NYC prompts the sale of Red Bull, but I've been looking for every possible justification for that for years. Then there could just be one more thing New Jersey is better at. I'm all for it.

3. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Live in the Bronx now...NYC for nearly sixty years...work in New Jersey for the last eight years...don't need to tell you but there are obviously tens of thousands of Yankees/Mets/Giants/Jets/Knicks/Nets/and yes Rangers fans living in New Jersey.

And of course neither NYS or NJ are just one community. Reach Trenton and everything changes from Yankees/Mets etc. to Phillies/Eagles/'76ers/Flyers.

You're right we're not Europe with multiple sports teams within a tight geography with teams representing not cities but neighborhoods. Here in America virtually all of our sports teams are regional teams with diverse fanbases often located in multiple states.

Could all of this changes...not likely...if our lifetimes...never.

In our greater community we have a tradition of the metro area soccer team playing in New Jersey but representing the entire metro area the same as football.

Will NY2 happen...maybe...tomorrow...nah even Garber says 2016 at the earliest...if it happens will we lose current city fans...not many...will it be harder to recruit in the city...no doubt.

But here in the metro area we have our own traditions we don't need to import them from Europe and one of our strongest sports traditions is that you don't abandon your team because of geography. Why do all of our sports teams have lots of fans in stadiums and arenas on the road...because there are tons of folks from New York and yes New Jersey and Connecticut and parts of Pennsylvania who have moved to other parts of the country but remain fans of their metro area teams.

The same in the city...am I now a Yankees fan after following the Mets since '62 because I live almost within walking distance of Yankee Stadium...I root for the Yankees now the same way I always did...every game...to lose!

It's the holiday season...the time to uphold our traditions...and to everyone who wants to graft some alien traditions on us I have only two words...

Bah Humbug!!!

GMangs and tigersoccer2005 repped this.
  4. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  5. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
  6. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Looks like Cosmos are beat. They will fold if they go to LI. RIP Cosmos. At least their "fans" got a chance to buy some nice retro gear.

7. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    'Bout time. I never understood what the fuss was about anyways.

8. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just hope the NY2 team comes up with a better name than the new Indy team in NASL came up with. Makes Redbull not so bad after all.

9. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So, it looks like people have to make a pick between RB and City. If I wasn't a fan, I'd much rather be a RB fan over City. Screw City. Wish RB would at least go back to being NY/NJ. If it wasn't for the NJ back in the day, I would not have become a fan.

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/leagues/mls2.php?article_id=33405

10. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv

I had a kneejerk reaction too when I read this. That, all of the sudden made me appreciate RBNY. But, five minutes later I realized that I would have this kind of reaction to anyone buying a soccer club that's close to home. A Saudi sheik, or a multinational conglomerate, in reality that makes little difference to me. Bring it on!

I mean, honestly, who else is going to invest in a money sinkhole known as a soccer club?

11. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So would the Borough Boys support New York Citeh or would they opt for NASL Cosmos?

12. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Cosmos would probably be the cool/hip thing to do. Following NASL makes you a "real" fan. NY Shity FC would be for posers. I'll be happy to stick with my NJ team. My only bitch is I'd like it to be NY/NJ again. That's not asking too much.

13. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    How is it for posers? New York City FC would be a perfectly appropriate name for NYC based team. I don't really see any connection to Manchester City here (besides the potential owner, of course).

14. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The thing that worries me about Man Shity getting into MLS is them loaning some top young guys to the MLS team or something like that, guys who can't break into the lineup has starters or subs and being pretty damn good, which is what I see them doing. It would be good for the league. Probably for us too, because it would increase the competition and make RB compete with them more in many ways, product and fans. Should be interesting.

15. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Can I have some fun with it? I could see people saying something a long those lines. I'm from NJ. I don't care what NYers think about their teams. I don't think highly of any of them. The connection is the owner and the City part.

My buddy says the rumor is Orlando also towards the end of the season, will be added. He is from down there.

16. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Not sure if it's asking too much, but it ain't going to happen.

17. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That's what I figure. Would be nice though. That is what got me to follow in the first place. Not from NY, don't support any teams that call themselves NY, except RB. A cool throw back 3rd jersey would be nice too.

18. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My buddy in Florida just text me saying the bill down there for rebates toward an MLS stadium has passed. So, maybe that Orlando rumor will be true?

19. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep

From an ownership standpoint and a municipal support standpoint, Orlando should be well ahead of NY2 in the contest for MLS team #20.

But since they are not ahead from a Garber erection standpoint...who knows how this shakes out.

MetroChile repped this.
  20. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were Orlando I wouldn't worry too much---the things going on over there are too good to pass by. As soon as construction on the stadium starts they are as good as in.
    The only question is how soon will that happen? Will Orlando have to wait 2 or 3 years? If I were MLS I would want to expand by 2 teams.

21. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't follow the NFL then I suppose?

We're in the New York metropolitan area. Just because there's a state line between the city border and the stadium doesn't make it an inappropriate name.

22. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm a Vikings fan. No reason to like anything NY, besides Little Italy which is nearly gone. Not from NY and none of my family is from there. People from NJ that like NY teams with zero connection are just trying to find winning teams. For hockey, it doesn't work out, unless they were an Islander fan long ago.

23. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Interesting - if you're Italian I'm surprised Little Italy is the only thing you like when it's not nearly the best Italian food on offer in the City.

24. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Has to do with San Gennaro Feast and Ferrara's Bakery. I have better food in my town. Not worth the hour plus train ride for food.

25. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Funny, I just feel that way about NJ in general. ;)

This rivalry will be a good one once it gets started!