Pre-match: How Many Goals will England score against the USA in South Africa?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Lord_ofthe_TFC, Dec 17, 2009.

?

How many goals will England put past USA in WC 2010

Poll closed Jun 1, 2010.
  1. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 10+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10, just like they did at Belo Horizonte...or didn't you read the news? ;).

Seriously? 1-0. England's best players haven't been in their best form lately (with some time to heal and rest, that could change).

I'm more excited about the quarter-final rematch. Penalties?

1 person likes this.
  2. USA2014

USA2014 Member

May 4, 2010
    Why is zero not an option to select?

3. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because, like the Sicilian, the Brits consider such a prospect Inconceivable. ;)

4. RJpooch

RJpooch Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll say it yet again:
    The U.S.A. wins 2-0, unless they score twice in the first half. If the U.S.A. starts the second half 2-0, the final will be U.S. 3 - 1 England.

The FIFA/CocaCola rankings (take them for what you will) put #14 U.S.A only 118 points behind #8 England. Taking into consideration that there are 543 points between England and #1 Brazil, the U.S.A and England are pretty evenly matched.

YANKS beat ENGLAND!

5. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The FIFA rankings are utter shite.

6. lordantwarrior

lordantwarrior New Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Pontefract, England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Those rankings are bollocks though. Portugal are ranked 3rd FFS because they played a two-legged playoff in November which gave them more points than those who only played friendlies. We were ranked 7th only last month but because we haven't played since we beat Egypt we end up dropping a place?!? Strange.

No offense but I really have no idea why you are ranked so highly?

7. RJpooch

RJpooch Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The FIFA rankings are fairly worthless.
    For a better gauge it's good to look at the betting lines. Currently England is favored by one goal on most sites. Keeping in mind that the sole purpose of these sites is to have even betting on both sides, being favored by only one goal against a team that you are "superior" to isn't all that impressive. Especially considering that the vast majority of betting is coming from outside the U.S.

Facts are that Bradley has had a healthy, full U.S. team for 3 tournaments; the 07' Gold Cup, the 09' Confederations Cup , and World Cup Qualifying. In these competitions the U.S. has preformed well above anyone's expectations, winning or getting to the finals of each.

YANKS beat ENGLAND!

8. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lol, using betting odds and Fifa rankings to see who will win? A good start would be to start by looking at the players on the pitch.

I would say 3-0 to England if we play ok. Possibly 3-1 if we relax a bit towards the end and get sloppy. If Rooney is in a rampant mood, then possibly a few more. England have soundly beaten many teams that USA lost to, such as Slovakia who were beaten 4-0.

The real facts are that England have just come off from a qualifying campaign in which they averaged over 3 goals a game, scoring 4 and 5 against a Croatia team who are much better than the USA, whilst the USA will be fielding a CB with 0 mins playing time this season, a striker with 1 PL goal, and who knows about the 2nd striker..

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, but all those things are already put into consideration in the betting line/odds. The betting line is usually a reasonable method for comparing teams. If it wasn't, we'd all be sitting on a yacht right now somewhere in the Mediterranean getting served cocktails by models in bikinis. ;)

10. DMan16

DMan16 New Member

May 2, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I say USA will win 3 to 1

11. PhishRidge

PhishRidge Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you probably are wondering why Canadian football is so bad....

12. RJpooch

RJpooch Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, let's take a look:
    Rooney (if his ankles hold out) is up front alone. Who's the second striker Defoe? Crouch?
    Midfield is touchy at best, you had better hope Lampard can do it alone because Gerrard is plying for shit currently.
    Rio Ferdinand will be lucky to make the trip, he's started only 11 matches this year. Even if he's fit for group play, there's no way he makes it through the later rounds without injury. And Terry? He's all but lost his step completely, one of his worst seasons.
    Who in the hell do you think you have in goal? They're all garbage.

And those, sir, are the facts.

13. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    No they're not....they're your opinions......"midfield is touchy at best".....give me a fcukin' break.

14. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    haha..deluded sock

15. RJpooch

RJpooch Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm to think Gerrard has had a good season?

Milner and Lampard I'll give you, but who else are you thinking about?

16. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Anyone England puts out there would stroll into the USA's starting line-up....

17. RJpooch

RJpooch Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's the attitude that just may get you beat.

I'm not delusional, matching up against England is going to be a huge challenge for the U.S. team — winning, now that's been unheard of. . . until now.
    I have faith in my team, as you do yours. I expect my team to come away with a win, because I will not go into the World Cup with the attitude of "if we get out of group play it's good enough." The only way I can see to change the perception of U.S. football is to win — against teams like England. Beating England may well do for the USMNT what beating Spain should have.

18. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

....Capello hasn't called me in....and anyway I'm cap tied.....there is NO WAY England will underestimate the USA......Portugal did in 2002 (but not Poland and Germany) and the Czechs sure didn't in 2006.

19. jcp97 redded

jcp97 redded Red Card

Apr 24, 2010
    Englands Gareth barry out for 4 weeks.

Gareth Barry is going to miss the World Cup, I think this could be englands worst Injury news.

Think about it. Since capello placed GB in the midfield, he has managed to do something no other England Manager to date had worked out; how to get Lampard and Gerrard working efficiently in the same Team.

Now Rooney may be the best player even if he hasn't scored any goals for some time now, but in terms of contribution to the Team, Gareth Barry has made Capello's England work, and i say this is the biggest blow to their team. with barry gone, the midfield will not work as well. a big boost for the US.

Meanwhile, Davis and Gooch are training and getting healthy, we will have the best squad we've ever had, and we have experience of playing in south africa, and we will be confident in pickin up where we left off last time out. at rustenburg, we beat egypt there 3-0. we will go into the england game with the winning mentality and come out on top. they have barry injured, and never played in south africa.

20. RJpooch

RJpooch Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True enough, I hope that both sides are well prepared and fit. If they are, this could be one one of the most exciting matches in the World Cup (at least for me)

As for the Czechs. . . they've got 18 days until our retribution.

The Yanks Are Coming!

21. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

He's out 3-4 weeks.. that would mean that he should be fit a week before the US game.

22. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    If Ferguson was his manager that'd mean he'd be playing sunday....

23. lordantwarrior

Jun 21, 2009
    Pontefract, England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Get it right. Those, sir are your

Opinions.

What Robthefool stated are the facts, this you cannot dispute.

24. lordantwarrior

Jun 21, 2009
    Pontefract, England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You're still here? I thought you would have had your second yellow card by now...

:rolleyes:

25. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Retribution..?? in a friendly..?? after a 3-0 shellacking in the world cup...??