How many Americans actually know Brasilians speak Portuguese?

Discussion in 'Brazil NSR' started by R9magia, May 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Like I said it before, in my state people don't care for portugal or portuguese people at all. Is just a fact, doesn't mean people here hate portugal, we also don't care for Namibia, Belgium or Nepal, and that doesn't mean we hate them.

2. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    And yet you make all those judgements about my country without being here...:rolleyes: the funniest thing is that what you're saying aren't even stereotypes but just you assuming that anything related to Portugal sucks with NO basis to support it.
    Imagine how would the world be if people took things for certain without experiencing them?
    Hell, if I were to judge Brazil from what I hear on TV and prostitution/traffic of drugs here, I would take every brazilian woman as easy or men as troublemakers. But i'm not ignorant to do so. I have a half brazilian friend which family came here to visit him and they were quite nice. But I don't take that into account either cus a completely different thing is to be involved in brazilian costumes, society and environment. To be in their country.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure for you to hate Portugal this much means that you experienced some sort of traumatic experience. Or that you're simply suffering from a huge case of inferiority complex due to the colonization period.

P.S.: Getting a neg rep from an ignorant troll like you is good. That way I can stick this thread in my memory to remember of coward people that are simply too stubborn to confess they're xenophobic/racist. And you're definitely the best example of it.

3. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I haven't been to Sudan and I know for sure I don't want to go there. I've been to Angola for one entire year and that is enough for me to know that I don't want to go near any portuguese anything.

I know what you're saying, but I give you that, the parts of Brasil were the portuguese alone touched really suck (north, northeast and RJ/SP) I grant you that. You must see the south that I recommend.

Dude, I hate portugal, I hate the people that occupied Palestine, I hate the african warlords, I hate the colombian guerrilas and a lot of other people and yet I have no "traumatic experiences or inferiority complex towards any of them. Whatever happened to good old simple hate??? I'm just being honest.

stubborn to do what? I never denied portuguese people are, well you know what...

4. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The Montreal Canadians are going to win the Stanley Cup.

5. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    OK . You hate Portugal and anything Portuguese. At least that's clear.

6. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Not sure I would go along with your conclusion of unconsciously stepping into some other dialect to conform with a speaker of that dialect in a conversation still, but I most definitely can say that "public speaking" as in a presentation , alters my speech pattern as I get the "nervous stage fright syndrome " :)

7. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Never denied it. I can stand a nation that rottens anything they get involved with.

Brasil, Angola, Timor, Mocambique all crappy countries thanks to whom?

8. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I don't know, why don't you tell us.

9. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think I can answer this one.

10. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You're not serious, surely?

If the cards fell the way you explained it then countries like the USA, Australia etc would be the most horrid countries in the universe, thanks to England (and many others) and clearly they're not. Wouldn't it be a better idea to analyse the political situation in ALL of these countries you speak of before making an assessment?

11. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Would be better for you to stay away from the conversation since you obviously don't know the rotten portuguese.

12. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    You just don't know how to answer with constructive and plausible arguments. Apparently you associate the crappy quality of life in the portuguese ex-colonies because we're the ones to blame. Obviously that can only be pure ignorance otherwise you would compare the infra-structures before we left and after. The contrast is immense because these countries afterwards involved in internal conflicts for many years. Like the australian user said and very well, politics matter. You can argue that we should of stayed but you're probably too dumb to understand that they wanted us the ******** out of there. So no prior administrarion was possible and the UN didn't gave a damn, which btw, in that case was their duty to establish a peaceful dialogue. Comparing that region of Africa that we colonized to Australia and New Zealand is certainly of a mad man. Study history, natural resources and sociologic phenomenons in all those countries and then you'll see why things turned out this way.
    Also, you can't blame us for almost 200 years of head of the state incompetence in Brazil. You can't forget what was happening in Portugal before your independence.
    Macao is a good example of a place that well administrated by the portuguese...certian regions of India which you forget to name...
    East-Timor was probably the most neglected region though...probably due to its lack of potential.

But go on in trashing historical events that you don't know about, wether portuguese or any other. I haven't read a plausible sentence from you explaining why you hate us. But be xenophobic all you want...

13. Galaico

Galaico New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Porto
    It´s funny to see brazilians that hate Portugal when most of them have portuguese blood, speak portuguese and their cultural base is mostly portuguese.

14. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You're right, C_G, I don't. But I also don't know how that changes what I said.

15. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

ahahaha

You portuguese have rotten fingers, everything you touch just goes into total putrification. I don't need a personal reason to hate scum like your kind. I hate the nazis and I'm not a jew. I hate the israelis and I'm not palestinian... I can give you several other examples.

16. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    In case you don't know we do have millions and millions of people of japanese,german,italian,native,african,lebanese and polish descent in Brasil. Most brasilians have portuguese blood or their cultural base is mostly portuguese? Certainly not in my neck of the woods.

THANK GOD!

17. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Pal,

I have lived in the USA and I've visited Australia. Go to Brasil first then we can talk since I know both sides and you obviously don't know anything about the portuguese.

18. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    And neither do you, except that you hate anything Portuguese, and yes it's capitalized because we're using English here, ignorant fool.

19. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I wish I could close this thread.

20. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Pardon me, pal

I've been to Brasil and I know what you're trying to say, but it doesn't change what I said.

21. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Addressing the question posed by the thread, I personally have on a number of occasions had to correct people of adult age that thought Brazil was a Spanish speaking country.

22. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think many people have.

23. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You portuguese are soo needy of Brasilian attention I almost feel sorry for you guys. Living on the shade of Brasil's popularity since portugal is an insignificant country that nobody cares for. It they wouldn't call the language spoken in Brasil "portuguese", the word would be dead. You would say "portuguese" to someone and they would ask "what's that?

24. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well, maybe you don't know our country is big as a continent and has almost 200 million people and many of us not only don't have portuguese blood like we consider them as foreign as a pakistani. I'm sick of people that go to Rio or Sao Paulo and think they know about Brasil.

25. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005