How many Americans actually know Brasilians speak Portuguese?

Discussion in 'Brazil NSR' started by R9magia, May 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R9magia

R9magia New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Today I was reading the New York Post and I came to a section where they were talking about the World Cup and the Latin players that would shine. They referred to Ronaldinho as "El Jefe" and said Robinho has made "La Pedalada" his patented move. I also got a kick at them saying that Ronaldo is often compared to Derek Jeter.

This isn't the only reason I ask, I've seen/heard/read a couple of things that make me truly wonder, how many Americans in general (that don't watch football) actually know that Brasilians speak Portuguese?

2. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Calexico77

3. ELADO

ELADO New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    washington dc usa
    interesting! most americans believe spanish is the spoken language in brasil. the comparism between ronaldo and derek jetter is only more on their similar racial make up plus both are the backbones on their teams without jeter the yankees aint all that same with ronaldo and the selecao to a lesser extent!

4. chivisima

chivisima BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 24, 2006
    Tarzana, Ca
    trust me, I work at an interpretation company, and I get calls from atourneys
    asking me either for brazilian, or they say "I don't know, they are from Brazil".
    same thing with doctors, etc.

5. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    NY Post...why do you bother reading that trash when you have the entire Internet available :)

Im actually surprised at how many actually DO KNOW Brazilians speak Portuguese. Alot people I encounter seem to know, but I wouldnt be surprised if the vast majority dont know.

Comparing soccer stars to Baseball stars make me feel ill...

6. fnsandpwr

fnsandpwr New Member

Jul 20, 2005
    Houston
    you don't...

7. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    The same thing here in Canada. When I went to Brazil in 2003 & 2005, people always asked me here: "How's your Spanish?" And even when I tell them, no it's not Spanish there, it's Portugese, they always say: "So what's the difference, the same thing?"

I find it extremely tiring to repeatedly have to correct peoples' misconceptions of Brazil as a nation.

Can you believe there are actually people here that have sworn off ever visiting there solely on the basis of watching Cidade de Deus?

8. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Imagine not coming to America because of say watching Godfather or Sopranos or some other wacked out movie...

9. R9magia

R9magia New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Do you have any idea why that is? Is it as simple as blatant ignorance? I find this astonishing given the fact that Brasil is such a massive country. I'm pretty sure it's the same size as the US if you exclude Alaska and Hawaii.

Is it just the education system that is in a way a failure? I've seen people who graduated from big time college's making the mistake.

Recently young American adults between the ages of 18 and 24 took part in a
    survey. They were asked geographical questions about the modern world

Look at some of these results:

Only 37% of young Americans can find Iraq on a map - though U.S. troops have been there since 2003.

20% of young Americans think Sudan is in Asia. (It's the largest country in Africa.)

Half of young Americans can't find New York on a map.

The majority of the American young adults overestimate the total size of the US population and fail to understand how much larger the population of China is.

Three-quarters believe English is the most common spoken native language in the world

There is a lot more, here is the article:http://english.pravda.ru/world/americas/04-05-2006/79855-Americans-0

Why do all of you think that is? It's easy to see how some American's don't know Brazilians speak Portuguese when they don't know basic things about their own country like how to locate New York on the map.

10. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That is probably because you live in New Jersey which has a large Brasilian population. In other areas, people always ask you if you speak Spanish or not. It is quite annoying.

11. johnboys

johnboys Member

Jul 15, 2001
    N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey guys i find this topic funny,,,this has annoyed me my whole life im 37 born in the usa/portuguese parents,,all of my life id say 95% of the people i run in to 1)Either had no idea where portugal was or when id say portugal they would ask me is that near puerto rico or in south america,,,,lol 2) then id say i speak portuguese,,then they would start trying to talk to me in spaninish, which granted id tell thjem that they are similiar but at the same time different,,,,geez i cant even walk in the mall any more without people asking me for help in spanish lol,,,anyhow my point is tthat in general people are dumb,,,but when news reporters dont realize there is a difference from portuguese to spanish then there is a problem in this country

12. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Portuguese is spoken in Brasil?

13. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    whats weird is that America is the most International of all countries, meaning its mix of people...you would think it would be the savvyest also...and even with this huge mix of foreigners soccer is still not generally loved. weird.

14. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    But it is loved by the immigrants... second and third generation Americans tend to prefer to watch gridiron or one of the other "mainstream" sports... partly to fit in.

It may be changing somewhat now.

15. Douai

Douai New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    États-Unis
    Actually several Americans know they speak Portuguese in Brazil.A person believing that they speak Spanish in Brazil is almost always corrected in the U.S.

16. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa
    i knew. i have known since i was probably 10. and i can point to brasil on a map. see, not all americans are dumb

17. Dadinho

Dadinho Member

Feb 19, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, we Americans are that stupid in terms of world geography etc. If you doubt me, come to the tourist port in Salvador when there is an American boat.

The most typical quote is, "Man, Spanish is impossible to understand."

My favorite, however, is the following, "Honey, do you think they accept 'real money' here." Real money wasn´t the real, of course, but dollars. Because as we all know if it isn´t a dollar it is play money!

There are many more quotes, but I think these two personify the typical American.

18. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Xenophobia, fear, and ignorance of outsiders is a common trait in just about all human societies.

However, I do find it amusing sometimes.

I have one friend, a high school graduate no less, who didn't know where Canada was. He didn't even know it was in North America.

My mother-in-law: "So.... they say Puerto Rico is an island...."

And I always love how Sweden and Australia are in the Alps. (Confused with Switzerland and Austria for those who still think so.)

19. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    Eu no se que idioma falan en Brasil.
    Pero Brasil tem unas garotas deliciosas como Venezuela

20. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I have come across a good amount of Central Americans that truly believe that Spanish is spoken in Brasil. I remember one girl actually attempting to get into an argument with me over it.

21. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    and those who believe Brazil is an island... hehhehe

22. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    At least you exist. Before the World Cup there were some co-worker who didn't even know Portugal was a country, and then guesed that it was in the Carribean....

23. LutaLivre

LutaLivre New Member

Jul 28, 2006
    It's even worse when you tell people your from the Azorian Islands.... Just about everyone I know has no idea where or even know what the azorian islands are! Let alone know where to find them on the globe.

24. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ah...The life of being a Portuguese - Speaker.:)

25. rey arturo

rey arturo New Member

Jul 1, 2006

There is a social phenomenon known as "functional illiteracy", which I have observed widely in the US; also, there is what is known as "professional blindness" where university educated professionals know little outside their field of expertise, which may be the opposite of the so-called "Reinassance Man".