How low can you go?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by schuer, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting how the story is so one sided, you really see the research the journalist did in writing the article.

These are accusations that are being made, nothing more. The BBC's wording is a little iffy there.

2. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you expected the US Govt to provide comment?

3. CFnwside

CFnwside Member+

Jan 25, 2001
    Humboldt Park
    the fact that they would try to cover it up isn't surprising, but if the bit about the women with their hands tied is true, we're looking at some sick sh!t. of course even if it's all true, the scum will never be held accountable.

4. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Not to pick on you Dante but I'm so tired of people calling journalism one-sided and just dismissing it when the story is about something they don't want to hear. That's not what biased journalism is.

5. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And on the other side of the coin, I'm sick of everyone believing everything the read when they want to believe it.

My argument is that if this story were true the US media would be jumping all over it as well as the media around the world.

So far we've only heard it from the BBC, which got the story from The Guardian. The title of the story was a little iffy as well.

6. Colin Grabow

Colin Grabow New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, DC
    Given the British press's track record in the coverage of the war on terrorism thus far, particularly with regard to allegations of US torture of prisoners at Gitmo, color me skeptical.

7. Raj

Raj New Member

Oct 3, 1999
    East Kilbride, Scotl
    I have to say I don't see what's wrong with this report.
    It lists a series of allegations along with the counter claims that were initially given by the US.
    It can't list current counterpoints as the US embassy refused to comment.

It mentions that this report is preliminary and that the final report may well be different.
    It seems a pretty unbiased report of an allegation to me.

p.s. the initial report is in the Times, not the Guardian. the Times in one of the more pro us papers around and has carried very strong reporting supporting US action in the war on terrorism.

8. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
  9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well isn't that great, just as I made the above post I check out MSNBC and they just posted an article on this topic...

They say that the UN is even downlplaying what was printed in The Times.

11. evilcrossbar

evilcrossbar New Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Well you know that FOX won't ever touch this. :D
    As far as CNN not airing this - well, the international version that I'm getting here overseas does mention this story.

Maybe the US news organizations will cover it when the rescued miners story dies down. Or people stop fawning over the Smart family.

12. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    But from what anle are you looking inot the "women with their hands tied" remark?

Was there something going on that night, more than some "wedding party" or do you think the US troops tied up dead women?

I don't see what you mean "if it's all true" statement. I am wondering what you mean by that and who you think would or should be held accountable. Not a flame, just wanted more into your thinking here.

Dead men tell no tales, but aside from killing everyone, the age old saying...it's not the mistake(crime), but the cover-up.

Regardless, the US has a serious credibility problem especially if you bring old war stories from Nam and have Senators crying about what they did, have Bush waffle on Israel's actions, and our mistrust and our "only when we need something" attitude towards the world court and the UN. Please note that I am not saying our actions are/were valid or justified, simply showing how our word is not gold to most of the world.

Heck, we always vote for and even re-elect people who break promises and lie to us. :)

13. Barnash_haviv

Barnash_haviv New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Israel
  14. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Fair enough (and I'm in agreement about your first part) but you are saying this is a biased journalism and I can't see how it is. The BBC reports there is a UN report that says x and y. They aren't in agreement or disagreement. They are giving you some new information that they know, this isn't commentary. Do you think that the BBC made up this UN report just to turn the screws on their #1 ally? Clearly not. Just because the US media doesn't pick up on something doesn't make it not true. If all you hold true is US based media for your news then you are going to get a skewed view of the world.

15. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    CNN.com

http://srd.yahoo.com/goo/afghanista...LD/asiapcf/central/07/02/afghanistan.bombing/

Pittsburgh TV station (AP story)
    http://srd.yahoo.com/goo/afghanista...rtners/wpxi/news/2002/0701_afghanbombing.html

And Reuters is as much an "American" media company as Fox is, if you want to split hairs.

16. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Or companies stop going bankrupt.

17. Raj

Raj New Member

Oct 3, 1999
    East Kilbride, Scotl