How long would it take for MLS top clubs to be on par with Liga MX top clubs under 33% salary cap?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by vevo5, Aug 15, 2014.

?

How long would it take for MLS top clubs to be on par with Liga MX top clubs under 33% salary cap?

1. 2 years or less

8.0%
  2. 3 years

8.0%
  3. 4 years

8.0%
  4. 5 years

8.0%
  5. 6 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 7 years or more

68.0%
  1. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so can you tell us why it would fail, ceezmad?

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'Merica.

3. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought so. You don't have an answer why it would fail.

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude people explain it to you every time you open a new thread in the MLS forums or in your vevo5 catch all thread.

If you can't get it after all that there is nothing I can say to get it in your head. You have your gospel and no reason can break your blind faith.

5. Liverpool Football C

Jul 30, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    What a rubbish thread. Is this the kind of muck that moderators of this subforum allow? Senseless and pointless fantasising? This thread is the equivalent of asking if your aunt would be your uncle if she had balls. Exact same thing.

The original poster must not understand the principle of a salary cap, and that it is there for LEAGUE SURVIVAL. A handicapped bloke doesn't ask people if he would defeat Floyd Mayweather if he got rid of his wheelchair. If he chucks his chair, then he'll be stuck on the ground, unable to even enter get to the ring.

If this league which posters here have called mickey mouse (and I agree with them) uses a 33% salary cap, it would eventually go under, so the point is moot. And they would still lose every year anyway, you septics simply don't get football, you will never succeed.

The OP should be embarrassed by his posts. Mexico is not thanking its lucky stars that this mickey mouse league has a cap, they don't care, last I checked they were battling teams like Chelsea at the WCC. Much more important priorities.

Vevo is thanking his lucky stars that Mexicans haven't taken his country yet, because last I checked, they are doing so. Oh wait, it isn't his country to begin with.

The OP says the cap is there for the sake of parity, It's there for the sake of SURVIVAL. Parity is necessary for the league not to relive the failures of the past. Are you really that dense, OP?

"Basically, MLS will focus on GROWTH GROWTH GROWTH instead of PARITY PARITY PARITY.

This will allow MLS to close the gap with Liga MX. Closing the gap with the Premier League is a pipe dream. It's like saying Liga MX can be as good as La Liga by focusing on GROWTH GROWTH GROWTH. Not going to happen."

IT CANNOT GROW WITHOUT PARITY, you nonce. What is your IQ? Unreal.

More nonsense.

1. Money doesn't guarantee success. Look at all the clubs with high payrolls that falter.

2.South Americans play many other sports other than football, you clod. There is a lot of competition. Have you ever even been there?

3. A watered down 28 team league means nothing. The FA has 100s of teams, that won't guarantee us a CL title. Get your head out of your arse. And it probably will never reach 28 teams anyway. Your rubbish league is at its ceiling, everyone I know laughs at it.

And this Soundersfan child said ignorance as well. He thinks his teams can compete when actual facts prove the opposite! My word, these septic tanks fulfill their stereotype 100%. Low IQs all abound. Pitiful.

6. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Money doesn't guarantee success, but it sure helps. We are not talking about clubs we are talking about the league. Of course there are cases were bad management causes a successful clubs to falter. But the successful leagues are the ones with money.

2. Of course they do... but everybody knows soccer is king. Just like Football is king in the USA.

3. Here is a little history for you.
    2004 - 10 Teams
    2014 - 19 Teams
    2017 - 22 Teams
    It does not take a lot of thought to see the growth pattern and to see were the league is headed.
    A 28 league team means everything in the US. 30 teams is the benchmark for a meaningful league in the states.

7. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    /thread

Tejano repped this.
  8. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is PARITY required for MLS to grow?

Why can't MLS grow using MLB / EPL / Bundesliga model but with a revenue salary cap that prevent teams from overspending?

It will have the best of both worlds

1) Revenue salary cap to prevent overspending. Provide cost certainty for all teams
    2) Allow clubs to build upon their off field success and grow. Higher revenue = better talents.

9. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NEW MLS CBA

$4.2 million salary cap by 2019.

Mediocrity, here we comes.

10. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the Forbes MLS revenue 3 years ago (2012) and what the salary cap would look like at 30%.

Now 3 years later, the revenue figures will be higher which mean higher salary cap.

Seattle Sounders 48.0 mil revenue = $14.4 mil salary cap
    LA Galaxy 44.0 mil revenue = $13.2 mil
    Portland Timbers 39.1 mil revenue = $11.7 mil
    Houston Dynamo 32.6 mil revenue = $9.78 mil
    Toronto FC 30.9 mil revenue = $9.27 mil
    New York Red Bulls $28.1 mil = $8.43 mil
    Sporting Kansas City $27.7 mil = $8.31 mil
    Montreal Impact 26.2 mil = $7.86 mil
    Chicago Fire $24.5mil = $7.35 mil
    FC Dallas $24.2 mil = $7.26 mil
    Vancouver Whitecaps $23.0 mil = $6.9 mil
    Real Salt Lake $23.0 mil = $6.9 mil
    Philadelphia Union $21.4 mil = $6.42 mil
    Columbus Crew $18.6 mil = $5.58 mil
    Colorado Rapids $18.1 mil = $5.43 mil
    DC United $17.7 mil =$5.31 mil
    New England Revolution $17.1 mil = $5.13 mil
    San Jose Earthquakes $15.0 mil = $4.5 mil salary cap

11. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #37 vevo5, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    I enjoy reading it and having a good laugh. Good job at trolling though. There is a rivalry forum for that kind of crap.

jond wrote this about MLS holding back clubs who have the most potential in order for clubs with the least potential to catch up. Forced parity / mediocrity if you will.

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads...clubs-in-5-years.2018777/page-3#post-32080654

I don't care about teams who aren't willing to spend and invest, every single league has them, the haves and the have nots. The league's problem is holding back those who are willing to spend and invest by catering to the lowest common denominator. Fans in the markets of the lowest common denominators likely don't mind, but they're a tiny fraction of potential fans who do mind and care about handicapping the quality of the league and those who are more serious about putting out a good product.

An issue with that though is more investment, more DPs and more foreign talent has led to a larger ROI for MLS owners, higher franchise valuations, more sponsors, higher attendance and better tv deals. So owners are handicapping themselves by not offering more. And that doesn't just mean to raise the cap but there were other mechanisms they could have altered, such as if Yedlin wanted to stay in Sea, how would Sea have kept him with three DP's while paying him what Roma/Spurs offered? What about when it's Zardes' turn, he's offered 600K/Y and LAG want to keep him? Their DP slots will be full. What about when more of this FCD talent matures? How will they keep them?

At the least MLS could have altered its system so teams aren't penalized for developing talent and have the ability to keep that talent. It's one thing to say we're not going to double Chad Barret's salary. It's another to not give teams the ability to keep American talent they develop without being penalized for it.

Well that's an example of the fractured fan landscape MLS deals with. Some local diehard fans prefer holding back the big teams so their local team has more success, or at least the chance of more success. I can understand it on a local level, but nationally and when it comes to the league's ceiling, it limits growth and potential.

As a local Minn fan you'd likely support parity(mediocrity) as it gives a market with lower potential a higher chance at success. But me as a neutral, I think there's nothing worse for MLS' growth than tying what a Sea or TFC can do to a market like Minn, at least to the extent we see, with all due respect. TV ratings back up that more agree than disagree.

Still, parity in and of itself isn't as much of an issue as is the mediocrity. The NBA right now has a fair amount of parity, there's probably 8-10 teams who could win a ring this year, but difference is it's the top league in the world, nothing mediocre about it. When MLS has such a low level of play it's really forced mediocrity, killing potential outside the gameday experience. So it would be good for you on a warm Sat afternoon while sipping a beer in stadium, but does little outside the 15-20K sharing that experience with you which again, is a tiny fraction of the soccer watching pie across this vast nation.

And trust me, I understand both sides of the argument. I sincerely hope you or Jasonma or others in smaller markets enjoy your team and I personally am holding out hope Sac Rep gets a team soon, another smaller market. But from an ownership and league wide perspective, I steadfastly stand by my opinion that line of thinking severely lowers the league's ceiling and incredibly slows the period in which it can push its ceiling higher.

It's odd as I've been labelled anti-MLS at times but think I have more confidence in MLS and this vast market than many. It's why I have a considerable problem with the constant mediocrity and intent on keep it mediocre.

12. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jond wrote this and he is spot on: TFC is probably the worst soccer club in the world with $18 million salary a year. Quality will suffer if you spend 90% of $18 million on 3 DP players and 10% on the other 25 players. A smart club would spend $18 million evenly throughout its roster.

Club America has a similar payroll to TFC. Who's better? Who's more efficient? Who's more balanced? It's night and day. MLS' salary structure while it helped the league progress is now its Achilles heal. I wish we didn't have to stomach examples like this but here we with an unfortunate yet good one.

It should piss people off to hear Dunseth go one about how great Club America is, how potent they are, how much quality they have when LAG, Sea and TFC at a minimum could surpass them under a different structure.

13. MK3owner

MK3owner Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Kissimmee FL.
    Club:
    Deportivo Toluca FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    And how do you know Americas payroll? Last time I checked the FMF didn't release that information. As for my second point, like people have already mentioned money =/= quality. There are currently 7 teams ahead of Club America, with only Tigres and Chivas maybe rivaling America on payroll. As I type this , Atlas sits at the top of the league, whom I wager has a significantly lower payroll than America. My point is that no matter what the salary cap is in the MLS, it's impossible to know when or if ever any MLS team will be On par with liga MX.

AMLO2018 and It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  14. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As I pointed out elsewhere, TFC pays those salaries to their DPs on the premise that the financial returns for having them will cover the outlay.

It's not like they could just offload Bradley, Giovinco and Altidore and then spread that $18m across the rest of their roster. If they offload those players, the $18m is no longer there.

As for your (now ancient) OP, the efficacy of a 33.3% of revenue cap is unfathomable when you don't weigh that number against expenditure.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  15. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well said.

16. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #42 vevo5, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    If MLS change the rule to 33.3% of revenue = salary cap, Toronto FC salary cap would be about $13 million. Not enough to pay for the 3 DPs.

There is an easy short term fix until their contract end: MLS can do a DP exception. Each DP that cost more than $3 million will now be counted as $3 million on the salary cap. This short-term adjustment is needed to move from the current parity/DP structure to a 33.3% of revenue = salary cap structure.

This will be for all teams that have DPs costing more than $3 million a year. Once their contract ends, the DP $3 million exception end.

It will only apply to 11 players:

2014 Kaká BRA Orlando City $7,167,500
    2013 Clint Dempsey USA Seattle Sounders FC $6,695,189
    2014 Michael Bradley USA Toronto FC $6,500,000
    2011 Robbie Keane IRL LA Galaxy $4,333,333
    2014 Jermaine Jones USA New England Revolution $3,252,500

+ Villa, Gerrard, Lampard, Altidore, Giovinco, Pirlo

After these contract ends, if a club has $20 million salary cap, if it want to use $7 million on 1 player, it can. But a smarter club would use that $20 million more wisely.

It's without a doubt that MLS is overpaying for USMNT players like Altidore, Bradley, Dempsey. Under a strict salary cap (% of revenue), MLS clubs will be spending much more prudently.

17. HankyPanky

HankyPanky Red Card

Aug 28, 2014
    Remove the salary cap and allow unlimited expenditure that fits accordingly to the revenue made by a club. Increase DP's and the MLS would be the next EPL.

We are attracting older players right now, if there is no strict limit on spending, imagine the possible signings. Could get the Pogbas, Vidals and Alexis of the world. Of course, revenue has to increase first which means tv deals and advertisement would have to be strongly emphasized on.

18. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    As in gets embarrassed in the champions league? Thats already happening breh!;)

AMLO2018 and MK3owner repped this.
  19. HankyPanky

HankyPanky Red Card

Aug 28, 2014
    We are the richest nation in sports. It is not far fetch to believe that we could be the next EPL if we did the things I have mentioned in my previous post. The mere fact that these star players, although past their prime, would want to play here says a lot. Money talks and we paid Pirlos, Becks and the Gerrards of the world to come here. If we threw $25 - $30 million to the Messis and CR's of the world they will be on the next flight here.

Raising the salary won't mean we will overpay for scrubs it means we would be buying world class players. Just look at the EPL, over half actually 60% are foreign players.

Look at the Gold Cup, we hold it almost every damn year. Mexico and Canada can't even do that and Mexico is supposedly a soccer country.

20. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Qatar can you buy a player on his way to retiring also that doesn't mean anything. If the mls paid enough they can attract an Ibrah type player but to attract a Messi and Ronaldo the domestic talent needs to improve a lot. It's very far fetched the Mls will be the next epl without being able to compete in the champions league

21. HankyPanky

HankyPanky Red Card

Aug 28, 2014
    You are basically saying what I am saying except your end argument is all wrong. You said our domestic talent needs to improve, which I agree, but it will not stop top players from joining. Look at the EPL, they have 40% of domestic players playing and 60% foreigners, those figures have risen in the past couple of years, I am a paraphrasing old stuff. Obviously, they are coming over because of the level of play from the foreigners than the domestic players.

If MLS can get top level talent with that ratio of 60/40, there is no reason to think they won't be the next EPL.

I'm sorry but top level guys are not going to Untied and Chelsea to play with Rooney and Terry. They are going there because of money and prestige. The MLS can offer that money and the prestige will come.

22. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    They are also picking clubs that regularly make the champions league not just the paycheck. There are now lots of clubs outside of Europe offering big money they still don't get the top guys because they can't offer a ticket to the highest level competition

23. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Becks sucked as soon as he left Manu, lulz

who you tryin to kid

24. oliveandblue

oliveandblue Member

Jul 7, 2015
    United States
    Club:
    DC United
    Why would we want to be the next Premiership? That league is a noncompetitive mess with out-of-control transfer fees, no fan input, and sanitized atmospheres. I don't want the MLS to turn into that disaster of a league.

The Premiership has gotten to the point where it is now damaging the development of the English national team.

Chicago76 repped this.