How long until USL is D2 / Who will be D3?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by Matthew Johnson, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Player wage increase isn't required though, right, just likely to happen? And what is required that would increase travel costs? Is there a # of technical staff required on the travel party? I think I remember some additional staffing just don't know to what degree.

Thanks!

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would be hard pressed not to see player wages rise in a competition of more or less equals (at least in nomenclature) unless you are going to ( a ) collude or ( b ) convince yourself you don't need good players to have a league. Somewhere between have to and need to.

Travel costs vary by proximity to other destinations, the accessibility of those destinations, which teams go up to D2 (assuming not all do). Arizona United would probably not have a bus trip to Carson, but a plane trip to other places. Certainly more personnel and likely an upgrade in accommodations, especially if a union is successfully established.

Also, D2 standard is that the various required front office positions be held by full-time people during the season, while the "full-time" caveat is not specifically spelled out for D3. (I am certain there are full-time positions in D3, I had one or two, but I am also certain both the requirements and the market will insist on bigger and more experienced front office staffs to generate the revenue and professionalism necessary for D2 vs. D3.)

Blando13 repped this.
  3. Matthew Johnson

Sep 6, 2013
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So, back to the original question. After today's revelations will it be '17 or '18?

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USL applied for '17, did they not?

Things have to play out a bit more before we have a better idea what things will look like in '17 or '18, right?

FootySkeptic repped this.
  5. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are the SF Deltas supposed to start next year? If so that will suddenly make an interesting regional competition out here in NorCal. SF, Sacramento, and Reno, should make for great traveling support/atmospheres and elevate the sport.

Marko72 repped this.
  6. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deltas are slated to join NASL next season, not USL... Unless NASL goes under completely this offseason and the Deltas switch leagues, there won't be any rivalry involving them..

7. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I was alluding to, they would be in the same league, be it USL or whatever they c all a merged D2 league.

8. Matthew Johnson

Sep 6, 2013
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Do you think they will get it in '17? Will it be outright or as part of a forced 'merger' USSF Division 2 league? Or a peaceful merger?

9. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So.. how 'bout them Rowdies and Fury?

10. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    What is minor league soccer?

11. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey now, we're not supposed to say "minor leagues." It's "lower divisions"!

12. Matthew Johnson

Sep 6, 2013
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    At this point you have to wonder if the NASL is in a death spiral.

The less teams, the higher travel costs.
    The higher the travel costs, the more likely a struggling team can't keep up.
    Teams that can't keep up either go out or are supported by the league, meaning costs go up for everyone else.
    In this situation, who wants to invest, so fewer new teams...

Does the NASL have some Hunts, Anchutzs and Krafts willing (and able) to double down to break the league of the spiral?

13. ComeOnYouSpurs198

Jan 1, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    That person was probably Bill Edwards and he just took his Rowdies elsewhere.

14. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In fairness, Edwards tried to be the AEG of NASL and take over Ft. Lauderdale, but because of USSF's one owner per team per league rule, he wasn't able to.. I really hope he isn't blaming NASL for that...

The One X repped this.
  15. Matthew Johnson

Sep 6, 2013
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    He doesn't have to blame the NASL in order for it to cause him to leave the NASL.

If he believed that that kind of investment was needed to save the league and the USSF won't allow that kind of investment, then he could have concluded the league can't be saved.

brentgoulet repped this.
  16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know.

Supposedly USSF tabled the application for now. Whether they pick it back up at their AGM later this year, we'll see. I don't know that they necessarily have to act on it for 2017.

Sports mergers are rarely peaceful, as history has shown. While this skirmish has been far less bloody than past ones, it has been chaotic.

USSF has - as most of you know - forced the issue before with a D2 league of its own making, but they made it pretty clear at the time this was not a strategy they wanted to continue long-term or repeat.

I'm not sure "death spiral" is a truly reasonable descriptor for the NASL. It certainly doesn't bode well, but it seems too early to pronounce them just yet.

The regular season ends this weekend. If Rayo OKC makes the playoffs, that prolongs their existence for another week. If they don't, what happens with them and Fort Lauderdale will be telling. If they announce the closing up shop of both of those clubs, coming hard upon the defections of Tampa Bay and Ottawa and the departure of Minnesota, those would be a lot of body blows to absorb in a short period of time.

They claim to be having substantive expansion talks with several groups (leagues always seem to be having substantive expansion talks with several groups), but you'd have to wonder how this turmoil plays with those groups. You'd have to really be trusting - or know a distressed asset when you see one - to jump on board. And the start of the 2017 season is less than six months away. It's tough to start from scratch and be successful in that short amount of time.

Now if they rip the bandage off all at once right after the final, announce that Rayo and Fort Lauderdale are done and don't lose anybody else, but announce a couple of teams for 2018, okay, that's something. But if the uncertainty lingers into the winter, that's a different story.

Meanwhile, USL is enjoying a renaissance and if they only lose Harrisburg (while gaining Tampa Bay, Ottawa and Reno) - though to get to 30, someone else has to go, right? - they're definitely pulling ahead in the horse race. They still have some trouble spots, to be sure, but nothing like what the NASL is going through at the moment.

17. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Wilmington was already announced, no? I thought Harrisburg is simply what everyone is inferring based on the 30 team comment.

kenntomasch repped this.
  18. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With D2 requirements for market population size, I'm very thankful for the number of bigger markets in the league.

We will be the smallest market in the league (gotta play into that "Biggest Little City" wheelhouse, right?) so thank you to the "actual city" sized markets!

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wilmington was announced as dropping to the PDL, but if their USL rights move to Baltimore, that's still one more club than 30. Maybe they won't do that for 2017 and have Baltimore come in with Nashville to make 32 (pending any other losses) in 2018.

20. Matthew Johnson

Sep 6, 2013
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From that:

Well, no. If you consider time beginning in 1967, sure.

I wish we could get past this.

I mean, seriously. Capitalization, players, stadiums, coaches, fan support....all are lesser in the NASL than in MLS and (in most places) are lesser in USL than in the NASL, though that gap has narrowed.

The leagues do fit into strata, and they know it. Else USL would not be applying for D2 status and the NASL would not have been saber-rattling about D1 status.

FootySkeptic and brentgoulet repped this.
  22. Matthew Johnson

Sep 6, 2013
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If this isn't just talk, then we really need to start worrying about a D3 league, b/c the USL seems to be full steam ahead on D2:

New clubs in USL:
    Edwards expects additional expansion in future years though the bar will be higher: all teams must have soccer-specific stadiums with a capacity of 8,000-10,000, which may move the timeline when clubs join the league back a few years.

Existing MLS2 teams playing in front of triple digits:
    The big area clubs must work on is getting their stadium capacities up to 5,000. "As a league," Edwards said, "we're giving them a deadline of next season." That means clubs must present business plans detailing contractors and vendors, seat plans, timelines and costs.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/71136/usl-president-jake-edwards-on-division-ii-expansi.html

That's rad if true. I'm a big infrastructure guy (an org I cofounded got a $54B transit package on the ballot, which passed on Tuesday, wish I could be more excited, ******** you Trump). No matter what happens to these teams the soccer infrastructure will be there.

Yoshou and brentgoulet repped this.
  23. Matthew Johnson

Sep 6, 2013
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    [​IMG]

So... yeah. Should this thread be renamed 'Will the US have a D3 next year?'

FootySkeptic and Zoidberg repped this.
  24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe not next year, but eventually.

25. Matthew Johnson

Sep 6, 2013
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Rumor is that the NPSL is looking at D3.

Also rumors that the PDL is paying teams to join from the NPSL. And that the PDL is raising standards (making a better home for the USL teams that can't move to D2?).

Soccer Wars never end, they just move further down the pyramid. LOL