How long until a Gold Cup is played entirely outside of USA?

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by MRschizoid21, Jun 6, 2011.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    No one said Panama and Cuba would bring in sizable numbers. I said MLS stadiums can be packed with various Central American fans that I specifically mentioned. And Knockout stages can also be packed.

Double headers would be used no matter where the tournament is located.

2. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #202 Sebsasour, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    The 2011 Gold Cup averaged 45K per match (I know that's a bit inflated, but still). How many World Cup Qualifiers played outside the US or Mexico drew 45,000? I'll give you a hint, it's less than 1 and rhymes with hero. And it's not like every game would be a home game for the Central American host team too.

Just look at the attendance numbers for the last Copa Centroamericana. It drew less than 49,000 across 14 matches. A Mexico game alone will beat that. It's no wonder they moved that tourney to the US

blacksun repped this.
  3. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Huh?

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Indeed.

The Central American Federations all know the big money is in the USA. So much so that they are willing to play their tournament in the USA from now on.

If they have an attitude like that for the Central American tournament they will have the same attitude when it comes to the Gold Cup.

5. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Again the TV contracts from the US will be there so long as the USA plays and the gold cup has the added benefit of having other teams that ex-pats are interested in as well that's really the only driving force behind them. Are you really going to argue that Univision won't pay for the gold cup with Mexico in it because there's an empty stadium? It's why they pay up for World Cup qualifiers it doesn't matter that the stadium is empty or not or that they can't keep production in house. Same is true for Mexican tv contracts they will pay well regardless of how empty the stadium is so long as they get the rights to the game. El Salvadors FA pretty much financed its u20 and u17 just off one wcq game they hosted against Mexico.

As some of the pictures posted on this thread show there are Goldcup games happening now that are in empty stadiums so that wont keep television away.

Central American FA's are making a huge mistake if they move the uncaf to the USA permanently. They are completely missing the boat on how lucrative TV rights can be but that is mostly due to corruption and ineptitude. So they don't see the benefit of hosting a tournament like this but that doesn't mean they're not making a mistake long-term. They could've hosted the next uncaf in Nicaragua and had packed stadiums and negotiated a TV contract directly instead of selling it to a third-party that bribes their presidents upfront but doesn't necessarily give them the best TV deal

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am saying The Television Networks like things the way they are. There is no evidence that they would make more money in the future if it is hosted outside of the USA. And they love the fact it is here in the USA.

7. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance is actually a selling point to TV networks. They'd rather broadcast from 100,000 seat packed stadium than a 10,000 seater that can't sell half it's tickets

8. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    #208 slaminsams, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    I'm sure they do like it the way it is but that doesn't mean they wouldn't pay because the stadiums aren't full. I will ask again do you really believe Univision will not pay as much as it currently is to broadcast Mexico at the Goldcup just because the stadium isn't as full? If you bring in more money from Canada as well as from Europe, and Asia there is no reason you wouldn't make more money in the future and that is not based on hosting outside of USA I just bring that up to show that the reduction in ticket sales does not mean it shouldn't be hosted elsewhere or that it can't be profitable

9. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The real shame is that instead of making this tournament about raising prestige, the level of football, about improving the confederation, improving the infrastructure by letting countries host and providing fans with a continental tournament we all want to see it's all about $$$.

I understand every Confederation wants to make money, but there has to be a balance where you give something back.

LGRod and sidspaceman repped this.
  10. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Costa Rican fans have a bad rep due to past bad behavior. Like, throwing batteries and bags of urine kind of bad. Now, I don't keep up on these things, so it could be that Costa Rica got a handle on that problem a long time ago. I hope so.

As for hosting, an idea for a compromise: We all know the reason why this tournament is held every two years instead of four is $$$$. So, why not alternate. We'll let the Gold Cup that qualifies a team for the Confed Cup rotate hosts, and the stupid one in between that's nothing but a money grab for the confederation can be held permanently in the US, since selling tickets is what we do best.

------RM

11. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Seriously? First time I'm hearing about this "bad rep" we have. How embarrasing.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #212 HomietheClown, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    There is no indication that having the tournament outside of the USA in empty stadiums would bring in bigger Television contracts from Canada, Europe or Asia.
    If Univision and Fox see that ratings go down in any way shape or form they may not want to spend as much money on the rights.

And as I said people do not like watching empty stadiums on tv.

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    None of the Federations want to host this tournament. They all agree to have it in the USA. Maybe in the future that can change and the balance you refer to can be a focus but no one is going to want to fix something that is not broken financially.

14. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    #214 slaminsams, Jul 30, 2014
    The reason I say tv contracts could be bigger from Canada is because Canada hosting the gold cup could help the sport grow interest in the men's national team as we have seen for the women's team in Canada. Given how much of an afterthought the TV deals for concacaf events are currently in Canada there's really no place for them to go but up. The interest in soccer in Canada continues to grow so there is reason to believe that the tv deals will get bigger as interest continues to grow there.

As far as Europe and Asia they like a lot of other countries have new television channels devoted to sports like beIn that have been paying a lot more for tournaments like the gold cup. They have been going up in recent years and as more countries in those continents join the 24 hour sports channels TV rights deals that money will continue to increase for international soccer tournaments like the gold cup. Even ccl TV rights have gone up decent amount the last few years. The future revenue in sports really is in TV rights not ticket sales. Again that is not based on having outside of USA that is just to make up for the lower ticket sales.

There are lots of indications showing that the gold cup even if it were to be moved out of the USA will be more profitable morning forward. Given that international soccer continues to be more profitable now I am not sure why fans like you are so intent arguing for the status quo money grab format

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't see Europe and Asia clamoring for this tournament to be rotated out of the USA. They could care less about the Gold Cup and where it is played to be frank. Canada could have some boost in ratings if they host but then when it is not in Canada the following tournament the apathy might set in again.

I am not arguing for status quo, I am living in reality and see that money is made here in the USA and the Federations all want it here in the USA. No one else wants to host. Period.

16. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    #216 slaminsams, Jul 30, 2014
    When I talk about Europe and Asia I am talking about how much they would pay in TV rights and the increasing revenue they are bringing in for tournaments like the gold cup not that they care where it is hosted. If you think European and Asian TV money isn't adding up and a huge source of revenue for international soccer even for a less prestigious tournament like the gold cup then you aren't living in reality. The reality is the money is in TV not not in the stadium that hosts the event so you could literally have it anywhere and the money will still be there. Now having it in the US maximizes profits but that doesn't mean it can't be profitable if it's played in Costa Rica. Even with just the money from the US and Mexican TV rights the tournament would be profitable. With telemundos sports channel coming TV contracts for international soccer should be going up in this region.

As far as Canada becoming apathetic once they are out so long as TV rights prices and interest go up and it won't matter that they drop off once their team is eliminated.

If federations are willing to host a youth women's soccer tournament then they are definitely willing to host the gold cup. But given how the hosts are determined there is no way they will anytime soon. However several countries would like home-field advantage when a confederations cup ticket is on the line.

PaulieJay repped this.
  17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It means why fix something if it is not broken? It means why go to a Country that has shown no interest in hosting? You say several countries would like a home field advantage but that is not their primary focus. All of the Federations Agree to playing in the USA. If they really wanted the home field they would speak up and say hey let's try going back to the way things were and rotating it (before it was known as the Gold Cup that is exactly how it was and it was not as profitable).

18. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    The gold cup isn't broken in terms of maximizing profits but it is broken in terms of it being a true sports competition and not just a money grab. Of course it doesn't surprise me that I have to point that out.

When it used to rotate in the past Univision sports Fox sports and beIn didn't exist as 24 hour channels and wouldn't bid on TV rights. It is a whole different sporting landscape

Otaku repped this.
  19. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    That's the rub. All the talk about whether more or less money would be made (which, incidentally, only a fraction of it actually makes it to the individual federations, sometimes they won't even break even) is not a valid justification for the monstrosity that a single host is from the point of view of honest and fair competition.

If CONCACAF was in the business of developing the sport in the region (as opposed to squeezing the last possible dollar) they would actively encourage other federations to step up and bid for hosting, hopefully turning the Gold Cup into a respectable tournament.

Otaku repped this.
  20. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @LordRobin

There are no more "stupid ones in between." USA won Gold Cup 2013, which in the previous system wouldn't have helped them reach the Confederations Cup. The new policy is that if one country wins both Gold Cups, they go to the Confederations Cup, so USA goes to the Confederations Cup if they win Gold Cup 2015. If it isn't the USA, the Gold Cup 2015 winner will play a playoff against USA for the Confederations Cup spot. This playoff would be like a UEFA Super Cup or English FA Community Shield in that it is between the winners of two previous competitions, but the CONCACAF one will be meaningful because of the Confederations Cup.

21. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, that's cool. And a really great idea, too, because the major players were often accused of sending a "B" team to the "off" tournament.

And it likely means more competitive matches between the US and Mexico -- cha-ching! Heh. The folks at CONCACAF might not know a lot things, but they do know how to maximize revenue.

------RM

22. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Previously, the Hex year Gold Cup usually saw B, C squads from the 6 countries in the Hex. It's a good change, IMHO.

23. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been to two games in Costa Rica. The Copa Centroamerica Final between Costa Rica and Honduras in the National Stadium - large stadium was about half full. Good game, well behaved fans.
    Second game - top rivals Saprissa at Liga. I expected issues. I sat with Liga fans in a Season ticket holders section. There were numerous Saprissa jerseys in our section. We each cheered for our teams, and there were no repercussions against fans. Lot of jeering after bad fouls, but nothing worse than I've seen here.

24. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    As much as I would love a Gold Cup in Central America, it just wouldn't work at this time. Mexico and Canada both definitely have the ability to host a Gold Cup, I'm just sick and tired of it being hosted in the US.

LGRod, LouisianaViking07/09 and CTS26 repped this.
  25. CTS26

CTS26 Member

LAFC
    United States
    May 26, 2008
    Kannapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trust me many of us in the Concacaf region feel as you do but until the Concacaf officials say other wise there is nothing much we can do but just complain about it in this thread it seems.:thumbsdown::unsure::(

LGRod repped this.