How long until a Gold Cup is played entirely outside of USA?

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by MRschizoid21, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Thats not our market. Only the Euro draws that kind of interest. What we want is people in this region to tune in. Promoting this through advertising and well thought out campaigns are key.

2. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

I think you're being unrealistic. Sure, there may be a small group of Haitian ex-pats (to use one example) that live in Puebla let's say, and I am sure they would go to the game just like if it were a WCQ match. But if you think citizens of many rather poor countries would be able to travel (*fly*) from their countries to Mexico (for the sake of the argument), then you really are overestimating the region's economics.

3. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

?? Which is why I said not many/ a handful. Something like 50 or less maybe? I didn't say there would be a decent amount of fans from the island nations.

MetroChile repped this.
  4. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But generally speaking most CONCACAF fans do as is. My point is just from a respectability stand point. I wouldn't have an issue with changes but that's not the major problem

5. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

That makes more sense but 50 < what a Haiti game would attract in Florida, let's say.

6. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    What bothers me most is that they don't do a draw, this takes away excitement to the tournament.

7. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Well this has definitely turned into a circular argument tread. I'll just say that it is sad that people believe that the current format is the best our confederation can hope for.

8. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    LOL this is ridiculous, how many do you think do it now? :confused:

9. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

None, that's my point because the field is a joke. Your format changes wont change that

10. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Yeah, the two horse race is totally unrelated to the choice of host and qualification format :ROFLMAO:

11. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dude, have you not been paying attention to what I've said. My point is that those impacts would be minimal

12. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Are you high?

13. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Honestly this has gone nowhere. I don't think your suggestions would do very much for the respectability of the tourney. You disagree, I guess let's just leave it there

14. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    There in lies the problem, in order to improve respectability you have to make this a real tournament that is rotated and means something. At first it will be extremely hard and might even fail, but over the long run the changes will help improve these other countries' infrastructure and their overall product on the field. There is no quick fix, and the current GC is doing nothing to help that. These changes are at least an attempt to do something. Go look at the old Concacaf Championship, the teams back then were way more competitive and many nations won it. Competition will bring interest, or would you rather keep this money grab excuse for a tournament?

What are the major problems then? I haven't see you suggest any solutions or state what the real problems are.

15. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Also, please explain why you dont think the 'two horse race', which in your opinion is the biggest problem with GC today, would not likely change with host rotation?

Pretty please with a cherry on top?

16. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    True. I would think that the Central American turnout would be really good though, and if they invited someone like Colombia they would hopefully bring some fans as well.

LGRod repped this.
  17. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My problem is the quality teams not the structure of the tourney

18. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That true, that could help a little. I didn't think of that, but the with gap between the US & Mexico and the rest of CONCACAF I still doubt that would change very much. Also one thing we haven't even touched on yet is which country has the ability to host a quality Confederation Championship.

I also don't know why you're getting so sour over this

19. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    In reality, it would help a ton, just look at WCQ games. Mexico struggles in Honduras, and the US record in Costa Rica is depressing, to put it mildly.

20. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

And again, the only way to improve the quality if teams is to help the other countries in terms of infrastructure and facilities. Hosting a tournament like this could do that. These teams in WCQ are plenty commutative, how many games has the US won in central america?

Since you brought up the point, how would you solve the problem? How would you improve the quality?

I ask again. "Competition will bring interest, or would you rather keep this money grab excuse for a tournament? "

LGRod repped this.
  21. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well part of the reason for road struggles is poor conditions in some countries. I would hate to see piss poor stadiums with crappy fields hosting our top tourney. Anyway the US is about to play and I'm about to get kinda drunk so maybe I'll continue this conversation with you tomorrow

22. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    right :rolleyes: because both teams don't deal with pitch conditions. This is just an excuse. They beat you because in their backyard they play harder, their fans are behind them, and they play better at home.

23. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well if you really want to talk about improving infrastructure in CONCACAF as a whole we should look the cash grab which actually brings Federations money (though I do admit a good chunk of that goes to a few bank accounts first). Look at the OFC Nations Cup, it rotates hosts and the quality doesn't improve. I do agree that moving it to Central America could make it harder for the US and Mexico but that still doesn't really improve the quality of the teams participating. Yes it would be good to see US or Mexico lose and that would help the tourney, but as long as your tourney hosts matches like Canada-Martinique, Belize-Cuba and El Salvador-Trinidad, it's not going to be an A List tourney on the World Stage.

24. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not making any excuse, they did play better. But you can't deny that some fields are shitty and I wouldn't want to see them in a major tournament.

25. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

If you guys want for your tourney to be taken seriously, then inviting non-CONCACAF teams is probably a no-go, imo.