How is everyone after Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Whitecaps10, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The effects of the storm are being felt on Long Island now. How is Charleston dealing with the aftermath of the storm?

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't really effect us much other than the small craft advisory Saturday that spoiled my plans to take the kayak out fishing that morning!

Hold on tight up there! make sure you got the necessitates: water, food, batteries, candles. Get your self a small camping stove, and extra propane tank for the grill warm food (and water) is big on the physiological side of things if power is out more than a day or two.

I bought a power invertor for my car so that kind of turns it into a generator. I run an extension cord into the house to power a few small thing. I've run my TV and cable box to entertain my kids a few years ago when the power was off for storm damage a couple years ago.

A small tool kit with some items like a folding camp saw, hammer and nails, duct tape, good sheets of plastic to do some emergency repairs and a pair of work gloves. and if you can some bigger items like a chain saw and things like a rechargeable drill, circular and reciprocating saw.

Watch out for down power lines and gas leaks.

I spent many years traveling the world and seeing disaster zones first hand. things can go bad very quick and just a little preparation will go along way

Whitecaps10 repped this.
  3. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The storm has been getting worse around the island, but the worst of the storm is going to New Jersey. I am well prepared for the storm. I have non-perishable food ready along with flashlights to get through the storm. The power will likely go down during the evening.

4. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't open your freezer, until you have to and you can use stuff you want to that to eat to help cool your fridge or cooler

Mikey mouse repped this.
  5. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope you make it through okay Whitecap

6. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I made it through the storm ok. It's good to be back on bigsoccer.

7. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems this is as good a place to ask as any, but we've heard of lots of flooding in Charleston with the current low-pressure system hanging out there this past week/end - how are you guys doing?

8. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just the typical flooding we get near the cross town, nothing that doesn't happen every few weeks!

Its what happens when full moon, high tide, rain combine while having a city at sea level with a pump system that is woefully antiquated.

9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was my guess, but Lisa was worried and wanted me to check with y'all :)
    Glad to hear it is nothing to worry too much about :)

Northern Virginia is getting an NASL club so y'all can go back up to that level any time now so I can see you play up the street from me (though I am still not sold on NASL's management, my interest is purely selfish)