How in the name of the Clint Dempsey and Landon Donvan do you teach kids to play the ball back?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by AtlantaUnited=MLSCHAMPS, Oct 1, 2015.

1. AtlantaUnited=MLSCHAMPS

Sep 10, 2015
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    I am volunteer coaching at a inner city youth soccer club. I am about to tear my hair out trying to get them to value possession and be willing to play the ball back. This is my third season and with three totally different groups of player from different backgrounds. But they have one thing in common it is hardwired into their brain to always push forward. They have this American Football mentality of a goal line puncher running back. Getting them to play the ball back is like giving a cat a bath.

Any advise is welcome?

2. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How old are these kids?

3. AtlantaUnited=MLSCHAMPS

Sep 10, 2015
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    U16

4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh boy. Wow, they should know better.

I'm sorry, I don't have any advice. Maybe try the Coaching forum as well?

Some others here might have some advice.

Soccerglue and mwulf67 repped this.
  5. de Kromme

de Kromme Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Burbville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Start with basic non/omni-directional possession games (simple 3v1, 5v2, 5v2 where one of the 5 is inside the grid, etc.) Once they learn to see soccer as a "360" game, they'll see opportunities (and see the need) to move the ball in all directions and to seek out the free player, wherever that might be (advanced, back, or lateral.) And you can literally do these basic rondos (and might have to) for an entire season or calendar year. Once the ideas are established, then directional possession bridges them back to moving the ball in a specific direction, but with the notion that it doesn't have to be done "all at once".

us#1by2006 repped this.
  6. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Use shadow play and physically show them how you support from the back. Use the negative space where their is less pressure on the dribbler. You can reverse your field easier from there and play into less pressure space.

They and you can't be afraid to back pass to your keeper. The best youth teams do it all the time.

Also if you ever start to play a more complicated game with multiple diagonal runs. The dribbler can not hit the player making the third run. The back pass player can hit that third run.

The back pass player can call for the back pass. Play with them and be the back pass support player for which ever player has the ball. Give the dribbler a chance to be creative before you call for a back pass. Tell the team the back pass player should be scanning the field for attacking options. He has the time because he does not have the ball. When he sees an option that is when you call for the ball. Then you better make sure something good happens when you get the ball.

7. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Play games to an end zone where they have to pass the ball to a teammate in the end zone to score. They will quickly learn that in order to score some times they will have to hold the ball until space frees. They will also learn they need to move to find open space. They will also have to connect a pass in order to score. The problem with keep away games is that they are not goal-directed like a real game. As a result. the skill transfer is less efficient. For a change of pace, use either 4 or 6 small sided goals. This will teach your players to look around and evaluate available space. Passing the ball into a small goal is also very much like looking up and passing to an open teammate.

R. Carrillo repped this.
  8. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
    I would do a small sided game where players are only able to dribble forward and pass backwards.. You can either use end zones or multiple pugg goals. Either way players will learn how to support and drop pass pretty quickly.

9. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You have to be able to see the back support player easily. If he is directly behind the dribble you can't see him. Do walk throughs and what other choices you can do from the back pass.

When they start making multiple diagonal runs. The player with the ball can't hit that third diagonal run. But the guy you gave the back pass can hit that third player.