How highly do you rank Luis Suarez in all time ranking?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Ozora, Apr 23, 2016.

1. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Tough tough one. I can't separate the two really. Different style players, but of pretty much equal quality.

Edhardy and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    wait this thread is still alive?
    and talking about suarez, he is on same breath with romario and ronaldo. i rate two brazilians higher though

3. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    suarez has scored more goals than any laliga player this year. 9 goals in 8 match.
    cant stop scoring

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It's crazy considering there was ton of talk of a scoring drought a few months ago. And some folks were slating him.

Seriously he's the best striker of this decade. Lewandowski is my number 2, but Suarez has done this goal-scoring feats in 3 different leagues.

I'm sure he's near AMAZING status despite only 3.5 years in Liverpool and Ajax

Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  5. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    Amazing player. He should come to Juve and conquer Serie A next.

Also quick question. How would you compare peak Atleti Falcao to Suarez and Lewandowski?

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I doubt he'd move from Barca, but I would be curious to see how he'd do in Italy for sure.
    Falcao was a MONSTER at Atletico and in the Europa League, but I rank his performances as weaker due to (bias maybe) Liverpool being a bigger club where Suarez dominated the EPL. And he's done the same in La Liga, which I didn't think would be possible since he plays next to Messi. 3 leagues of goal scoring dominance.

Lewandowski is a true rarity. Moved to Dortmund as an almost unknown and became a star. He's continued that for Munich. He's scored like 25 goals a season for the past 7 years. Unbelievable. I'd love to see him move to a La Liga, but maybe best to consolidate his LEGEND status in the Bundesliga.

Not to mention both are consistent with their national teams as well. Truly, those 2 are the best strikers of the 2010's. Maybe Zlatan would be no.3

7. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Not really in my opinion. Suarez is, hands down, better player than Lewa when both at their top.
    Unlike Lewa, Luis, at times, is an incredible assistant and i don't mean just stat padding type of assistant. His passing game is a whole level above Lewandowski's, if not two. Even if we compare them just in front of goal, in terms of killer instinct, i don't see how can Lewa match Suarez's instinct. Some type of solo goals Suarez has scored over the years are truely incredible and unmatched by Lewa.
    Along side all of that, work rate Suarez's put in every game is something Lewa can't brag about.

Having that said, Suarez is probably the best striker since R9.

8. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid

From a technical standpoint this 2010/11 performance looks to be the greatest In suarezs career
    He completed 8- 9 panna in a single match against Dynamo Kiev in the champions league,scored a goal,had a wide assist and was more involved in build up play than you would normally associate with a striker

I think in Liverpool and Barcelona he had more multi goal performances but I did think I remember seeing him this mobile and energetic (and of course VERY technical)

9. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    LMFAO
    What the hell is a “stat padding assister”
    Lacking vision and assisting 5-0 and 6-0 goals are to completely unrelated concepts
    I agree that lewandowski lacks suarezs all round game
    To me comparing lewandowski to Suarez is like comparing shevchenco to Thierry Henry

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    for someone who doesn't understand the Shevchenko/Henry reference, what do you mean? That 1 contributes far more than the other or that 1 is a better striker?

11. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #486 carlito86, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Precisely
    Shechenco has comparable goal stats to prime Henry but when one delves deeper they really weren’t that close if I’m being honest

Prime Henry did shevas job and was a WF at the same time(he almost always started wide not centrally)
    We can argue about who was a better finisher,who scored more important goals but not in terms of who contributed more to the team which is by far the most important metric you can use to judge a player by

Like Henry Suarez was a wide striker in his pfa season (arguably his career best)
    When he became a poacher in Barcelona he was still more team oriented,with more vision,skill than lewandowski ever dreamt of being
    Apples and pears

12. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    While I wouldn't argue that Lewandowski was the better technician, I think you're underrating his value here.

Lewandowski combines the scoring prowess of a goal poacher with the hold up ability of a target man. That is a very unique combination, and one of very high value. We see Chelsea throw money at Morata, and they didn't get that type of player. They had to buy Giroud, so that he can provide that targetman service for the likes of Hazard, Pedro, and Willian, but giving up the goals that a world-class goalscorer could score for a team like Chelsea. We see Man Utd throw money at Lukaku, and they didn't get that type of player. Lukaku hold-up play is absolute garbage. Lewandowski is who Madrid fans wish Benzema was.

Their value is, in a world where almost all the best players are inside forwards, they make the best players in the team better. There is a reason Giroud starts games for both Chelsea and France despite scoring very few goals, or Drogba back in the Mourinho days. Now imagine them but with the a scoring rate that's competitive with the best no.9s in the world.

Except for Ibrahimovic, and Drogba for a couple seasons, I can't recall another striker of such type in the 21st century. And I'm not sure Ibra had the team-orientated mentality demanded by the role, and Drogba was of course, never a truly consistent scorer. That's how rare they are.

Lewandowsnki, has also proven himself in big games. Since his move to Bayern, he has scored consistently against Dortmund, including 2 goals in their latest game. Remember the 4 goals he scored against Madrid? His team has almost always done well in the UCL, and he has a pretty good scoring record in that tournament. Mentality is not a problem for this guy.

13. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    LouisianaViking07/09 and carlito86 repped this.
  14. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #489 carlito86, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    LOL(the meme)
    In all fairness I think his reoccurring injuries have a lot to with that
    His gpg ratio is pretty high after all
    About 14/15 i think he was on course for a legendary season by a striker
    Just look at the level teams he was destroying in the league and champions league
    Injuries again prevented him from any long term consistency

15. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    For me, the real next elite striker is Harry Kane. He has a chance of becoming both the new EPL and England record goalscorer. If his holdup play improves and his goalscoring remains at this rate (much will depend on his luck with injury) he has the potential to be the world's best no. 9

16. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #491 PuckVanHeel, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    Yes I agree. He has not the finesse, creativity, imiganation or surprise element of an Ibrahimovic or RVP but everything else is top notch and without individual weakness (Ibra in turn has weaknesses in his individual resume and teamwork). Also think Kane is technically more reliable/consistent than the gritty Suarez.

17. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, he an seem clumsy at times, but I've also seen him do some nice combination plays. It's obviously not instinctual though. The combos he make with the likes of Dele Alli and Eriksen are well-rehearsed moves from the training ground.

In terms of scoring goals, he's pretty much the complete package already. As one can see here:

He can finish pretty much any type of chance, even the difficult ones. The man has consistently shown top level movement, anticipation, and finishing ability.

18. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    He could have done with a bit of that finesse in this game to lob the ball over the Croatia defender skilfully, with the goalie out of the equation! Although everyone does miss chances and it's also possible to try that sort of finish and get it wrong even for players who would be very good at it. In general he probably gets about the most out of his capabilities, or close to it.

19. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I might be inclined to agree with what Jamie Redknapp is saying though - that taking a touch might have been the best option this time - I don't really think a lob attempt was necessary because he had the whole goal to aim at, so I'd think working the ball into position to slot into a corner might have been best option.

Still, anyone can decide what someone should have done, when watching on TV! And like I say all players miss chances.

20. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Can I ask which goals you like most?

21. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    That was a typical Kane goal! But yes, maybe that Suarez and Lewandowski have more goals from difficult angles and volleys, with Ibrahimovic etc. more finesse type of things.

22. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Slightly a 'Lineker-esque' goal too even maybe?!

23. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I can't remember. Would have to go back and watch it again.

When I watched it last time, what struck me wasn't any goal in particular but the type of goals Kane was scoring.

While he had some highlight-reel goals (especially the thumping longshots) many of his goals were illustrative of either:
    1. His skill to find space in the box
    2. His skill to attack the ball
    3. His ability to get shots off (he's not clumsy at all when he needs to make half a yard for himself to take a shot)
    4. And of course, his finishing ability, which were generally very well placed shots

Watching Kane feels like the opposite of watching RvP, where every goal feels like a goal of the week contender, although I have to say RvP later in his career had some of the best movement of any striker at the time.

It's no surprise Kane is a consistent goal-scorer. He consistently get into goal-scoring positions, which allow him to take a number of good shots each game, which is the number one predictor of goals scored.

24. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I dont remember what i was thinking exactly, but i must have meant something along the lines that his (Suarez's) high assist tally is, for the most part, product of his creativity and ingeniuty (which he undeniably posseses) rather than just being a part of attacks of high scoring teams, luck or a regular dead ball taker.

It's not like apples and pears, it's like apples and even bigger apples. They have somewhat different playing styles, but you cant deny his superiority because of that. Both players are primarly used as goalscorers therefore they are comparable.

With "it's like Shevchenko - Henry" mentality we would end up not comparing anyone because every player is unique in some way

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how would you say Kane compares to Wayne Rooney at his peak? There aren't all that many English world-class strikers over the past 20 years or so right? Just Shearer, Rooney and Kane.