How highly do you rank Luis Suarez in all time ranking?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Ozora, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Prime Cr7 is faster, even now he is still faster than Suarez. Dribbling is something people are very misunderstood. Cr7 is a type that kich the ball and run, not keep the ball and run. Using this method Overmars is a great kick and run type as well. Suarez is not an outstanding one but in penalty area he is dangerous when he has the ball.
    Passing is Suarez. But you are right that playing for Barcelona give him advantages.
    And Suarez has better shot accuracy, shot technique

ko242 repped this.
  2. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Marca rates Suarez as the best barca player-10 point
    Messi is the second with 9 point
    Iniesta has 8, Neymar has 6.5

3. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    what is this based off of? this season? or the last 2 years?

based on this season, i would put Messi as the top player on the team by a distance between suarez and neymar. when you consider the goal tally that messi and suarez have for the league which is currently equal and messi has many more goals in the CL, and then you also consider the ridiculous amount of chances that Messi creates as a playmaker with his dribbling and passing abilities from many areas of the pitch then i would put Messi 3 points above Suarez (maybe a bit of an exaggeration). Im not saying my evaluation is 100% correct but thats how i see things from the criteria that i use.

in addition, i also think that there is a good case that Iniesta has been the 2nd best player on the team especially when you consider the importance of his presence in the midfield with xavi gone. if you look closely at the difference between barcelona this season with and without iniesta you can clearly recognize his importance.

and i think that's a big problem. I mean, how can you honestly evaluate the importance of players like iniesta and modric on their respective teams? In the same token, for the last 3 or so years, i dont think that there is a single player more critical to real madrid than luka modric.

For me, i would put
    1) Messi
    2)Iniesta
    3)Suarez

4. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Suarez has 42 goals and 24 assits in 2016 (league+ucl)
    Messi has 45 goals and 21 assits in 2016
    The two are the leader

ko242 repped this.
  5. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    i put Messi above Suarez but not Iniesta.
    Bale for madrid

6. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Has Bale's performances been even better than Modric? Every time I've seen Madrid, Modric stands out to me.

ko242 repped this.
  7. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Can you please give me some of what your smoking?(really)
    None of the above even makes the slightest bit of sense

Peak c.ronaldo is a FAR superior dribbler
    Goalscorer
    (Including heading, fk ability,long range strikes, solo goals, poaching/positioning ECT...)
    Passing
    (In Crossing ability by a country Mile you could also add to that long ball and through ball passes
    This is before we even get to backheel passes a category where he is goat alongside Francisco totti

There is no comparison to be made between the 2 players whatsoever (prime vs prime)
    Prior to 2013 Luis Suarez wasn't even his own NT's best striker

13/14 was the season where Suarez entered the Best striker in the world category.
    prior to his" breakthrough season"aged 27 years old he was barely top 20 player in the world material
    But credit where it's due since 2015 he has looked like the best number 9 in world and a indisputable top 5 player in the world football
    Another season like the last and it wouldn't be a stretch to call him the best ST of his generation even above a legendary striker like zlatan Ibrahimovic

Comparisons between Ronaldo and Suarez are futile
    One is a all time legend of the game and the other is one of the best over a 2-3 year period

8. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Not to annoy you Carlito (as I still need to answer you about Van Basten sometime too don't I) but on the wide subject of forgetting past greats or being unaware (how many know Zico did a scorpion kick in 1990? Gary Neville didn't seem to for example) - look up the backheel pass abilities of Socrates, Michael Laudrup and Dragan Stojkovic for example.

9. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #409 carlito86, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    For sure i was aware of the the zico scorpion kick you refer to( not from watching the actual match he scored it in but from a zico goal compilation that has been circulating the net for a few years)

Now Regarding previous greats who perfected what you could call the art of backheel passes your argument here seems to be similar to the one you made about CR7s dribbling ability
    (Ie Comparing rumminge and van basten to Ronaldo as a dribbler based on a few instances where they were able to perform dribbles that c.Ronaldo was routinely doing in his peak period)

I was aware of ML's backpasses and for sure he was extremely good and effective with it but Ronaldo in only this category of passes is in a different class
    He has done it way to many times scoring around 6 type goals, many more assists and a few pre assists
    (Maybe when I'm bothered I could make a comp which includes most of his backheel passes)
    This isn't to say that he doesn't have a shit load of failed attempts like just who doesn't?
    (For example we could dwell on the amount of failed dribbling attempts Messi had during his supposed dribbling prime( 2011/12)
    Or even the amount of failed Fk attempts david Beckham would have in a single match often needing several chances to hit the target

10. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    The thing is you have probably seen most of Ronaldo's backheel passes, and all of the assists though. While it's possible that a Youtube video can make Stojkovic say seem even better at them than he was, but also you won't have seen anywhere near the percentage of his backheels compared to Ronaldo's. Same goes for Gianni Rivera for example. Socrates was said to play better backwards than forwards too lol! Paulo Roberto Falcao has a really great heel assist in 1981 (I can find it in a bit, but you may have seen it I dunno). Zola in the FA Cup Final comes to mind, or Cruyff vs Belgium in 1976. George Best scored with a similar goal to the one Ronaldo scored against Villa I think for example too, but we can't see how many times he successfully used the heel pass.

carlito86 repped this.
  11. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

There's that Falcao one (not so much to argue with Carlito, but just for everyones viewing - a great assist I think to be fair).

And examples of Platini's heel use (right at the end vs USSR for a nice assist).

And then the Zola one for the second goal in that FA Cup Final.

In terms of heel goals, I'll be fair and mention Ibrahimovic so that I'm not being too retro! Di Stefano scored one ages ago from the edge of the box too, and in general might be another contender for heel use I think. As nice as the inside/outside heel goals can be, maybe it's hard to top the scorpion ones though, or Cruyff's acrobatic Phantom Goal.

carlito86 repped this.
  12. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This once again leads to my earlier point that I'm sure there are a multitude of players who have performed backheel passes during their careers but I will stick to my guns and say from the available footage i have seen c.Ronaldo and totti seem to be the 2 most effective backheel passers

Cruyyfs phantom goal is surely one of the best goals ever scored in top flight European football history (the angle was even more impossible then mvb vs the Soviets)
    C.Ronaldo has slightly less impressive strikes but way More over the course of his career

Every single one of his backheel goals was a legitimate goal of the season contender
    Vs Aston villa 2007/08
    Vs Rayo vallencano and Malaga 2011/12(2 in one club season)
    Vs Valencia 13/14 which in fact won la Liga goal of the season

His assist vs Aston Villa was clearly legendary (IMO one of the Best ever in PL history)
    Much is made of him apparently not meaning to make the assist but you know as they say people make their own luck

Your comment about Socrates playing better backwards can also be applied to Ronaldo especially in his younger days
    I always thought he looked More comfortable pulling of extravagant passes then simple passes and i don't necessarily mean that as a compliment
    (Alot of the time the simple yet effective pass can be better than the more stylish one which 6-7 times out of 10 fails)

13. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    As an aside then mate (and I know it's getting away from Suarez topic - sorry; and I now seem like I am deliberately mentioning favourites having picked out M.Laudrup already lol) you might like the Savicevic assist to Donadoni in the same Parma game in which he makes his assist to Baggio you already saw - it is a bit similar to C.Ronaldo vs Villa.

(Maybe the link between Savicevic and Suarez is that apart from Pele, in their own ways maybe they can be considered top for playing balls against opponents legs?!).

So as not to be too retro biased, I'll mention Jay Rodriguez of Southampton played a pass like Totti's backheel vs France in Euro 2000 I noticed recently! Also some Championship player I forget played a Stojkovic-esque backheel pass with a lay back to a team-mate (think it did end as an assist).

As with the Zico example though, maybe some younger fans might think Dele Alli even created the scoop pass when he assisted Kane at the weekend, wheras in truth it had been 'invented' long before Michael Laudrup even first used it.

I think I agree about the Cruyff goal yeah, although probably vote the MvB one ahead due to the perfect connection and placement.

14. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    No player has been directly
    involved in more #LaLiga goals
    (20) this season than
    Barcelona's Luis Suarez. 15 goals
    5 assists

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    dribbling. Yeah. But kick and run, not keep and run. That's why he has always been ugly when dribbling.
    Shooting? Never
    free kick. More goals but about 1 goal/100 attempts,best ever at hitting wall
    passing. No. And comparing to Totti? Your beloved could not even tie Totti's shoe.
    Yes your beloved is all time legend, is ranked higher overall but time will tell

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The only reason its even close is because the players around him at the top of the scoring rankings take penalties. Without PKs:
    Messi 13 goals, 3 assists
    Iago 9 goals, 3 assists
    CR7 8 goals, 2 assists (50% of Suarez' involvement)

17. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #417 carlito86, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    Non penalty goals since 2014/15

(La Liga only)
    Lionel Messi
    74 goals in 87 games
    Ratio:0.85

Cristiano Ronaldo
    75 goals in 85 games
    Ratio:0.88

Luis Suarez
    66 goals in 80 games
    Ratio:0.83

Oops....
    http://messivsronaldo.net/msn-vs-bbc/
    http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/luis.../44352/plus/0?saison_id=ges&wettbewerb_id=ES1

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    So you choose the one time frame where Cr7 has more goals? A tad desperate...

We were talking about this season in case that wasn't obvious..

19. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It wasn't as if I picked a random time frame.
    Suarez joined Barcelona in 2014/15 and since then Ronaldo has More "open play goals" then both he and Lionel Messi in la liga (the next 2 best goalscorers in Europe)

This open play goal thing is really stupid anyways I've been saying this for donkey years..A goal is a goal and should be credited as such whether it came from 40 yards or 6

We could also compare their goal tallies in the champions league if that would make you feel any better?

(Champions league only)
    C.Ronaldo 2015/16
    16 goals in 12 CL matches

Suarez (since he's been at Barcelona)
    17 goals in 24 CL matches
    :laugh:
    http://messivsronaldo.net/msn-vs-bbc/

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I miss him at Liverpool

21. LegendarySunrise

Jan 26, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #421 LegendarySunrise, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    Suarez is probably the best definition of a striker in the current generation. For me, He and Lewandowski are currently the two best strikers in the world. Considering his incredible impact and his achievement in both Liverpool and Barcelona and his performance in both the regular and big games, I have no problem rating him at the level of Sheva and Henry, which is above the likes of Eto'o, Drogba, Torres. In Barcelona, he proved that his big game performance and scoring ability in crucial moments puts him way above Ibra. And in Liverpool, his 13-14 season performance was certainly one of the most memorable ones I have ever seen from a striker.

P.S I thought he was good at 2010WC, but he was clearly overshadowed by Forlan in that tournament. His performance in 13/14 Liverpool and later in Barcelona significantly changed my impression of him, I certainly couldn't imagine he was "this" good back a few years ago.

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    ^THIS

Only Suarez and Lewandowski at that top level.

Ibra used to be but still pretty high, Benzema, Higuain (underrated though he has a great scoring rate), Aguero,

what do you guys think of Cavani? Is he a world class striker? Like top 10

23. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    suarez is a whole cut above lewandowski IMO
    El pistolero is the best number 9 since th14,the guy is just a total beast

Suarez has a season where he was arguably the best league performer in Europe 2013/14
    A season where he outscored by a clear margin 2 goat level attackers playing in the same league,in addition to having the most league assists 2015/16

And a Best player award in the copa America

I think now that he is approaching 30years old with presumably most of his career already played out that he could make top 20 CF in the history of the game

The only names i would put clearly ahead are
    Pele
    Puskas
    Eusebio
    R9(96-98)
    Gerd Muller (in goalscoring not technical ability)
    Marco van basten

Currently he is in the same category as Oleg blokhin, KHR,Henry and probably even romario
    Can anybody really say that on his day l.Suarez posed less of an attacking threat than any of this names?

24. LegendarySunrise

Jan 26, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I wouldn't say Suarez is a whole cut above Lewandowski as both players were used for quite different purposes, but in terms of goal scoring and direct goal threat, I don't disagree that Suarez is the best.

At Bayern, Lewandowski has to constantly drop back and forth between the midfield and attacking zone during the build-up phase because with the aging of Ribery and Robben, Lewandowski has to play a greater role in holding the ball up front and link up the striker with midfield his importance to Bayern can't be emphasized enough: his ability of holding the ball in the center create time and space for midfielders like Thiago and Vidal to push forward and his ability of holding on the side create width during attack for wingers like Costa and sidebacks like Alaba.

On the other hand, at Barcelona, Suarez is closer to the goal and Messi usually is the one who plays the crucial role of linking up the midfield with the strikers.

poetgooner and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree that Lewandowski and Suarez are roughly equal. Obviously Suarez grabs a lot more headlines, but anyone who's watched Lewandowski in the 2010s know what a beast he is as well. The guy is basically combining Drogba-esque level of targetman play, with a very consistent level of scoring.