How highly do you rank Luis Suarez in all time ranking?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Ozora, Apr 23, 2016.

1. tLB Odiseo

tLB Odiseo Member

Necaxa, Galatasaray, Real Madrid
    Dec 18, 2011
    México
    Club:
    NEC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I understand well the explanation about the forward but in my opinion I consider Luis Suárez as a striker because in the big majority of the games he was the more advanced player and the main player in the goalscoring and I understand when in other ranking list he appeared as forward. The same though I have about Thierry Henry or Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

By the way ... I have some mistakes in my personal lists yet ... I have to rank Luis Suárez in 2013 and 2014.

2. tLB Odiseo

tLB Odiseo Member

Dec 18, 2011
    México
    Club:
    NEC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Radamel Falcao is in the striker category ... He appears there.

About Neymar ... I have followed to him very well from 2011 and yes I agree with you ... in 2012 I ranked higher Radamel Falcao over Neymar easily,

TOP 15 - 2012
    Lionel MESSI
    2. C. RONALDO
    3. Andrea PIRLO
    4. Zlatan IBRAHÍMOVIC
    5. Andres INIESTA
    6. Wayne ROONEY
    7. Radamel FALCAO
    8. Robin VAN PERSIE
    9. Marco REUS
    10. Arturo VIDAL
    11. NEYMAR
    12. Franck RIBERY
    13. Edinson CAVANI
    14. Gareth BALE
    15. Eden HAZARD​

By the way ... I'm noting that I forgot Juan Mata and Santi Cazorla in this year ... they probably deserve a top 10.

3. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    all of them are strikers.

the term you're looking for is centerforward. The guy that spearheads the offense down the middle. Also Suarez did not play as a centerforward until he arrived at barca. And even so, he does not play as a CF like Ibra would. He drops to the wings a whole lot and he comes back to the midfield a whole lot.

Neymar, Suarez and Messi don't stick to one side of the pitch, they are always moving around. They do have their assigned positions but they roam a whole lot.

4. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Can't say you followed Neymar in 2012 and not put him in the top 3. He had a much better season than C.Ronaldo or anybody else in Europe besides Messi.

Plus he was coming into a back to back S. American player of the year, where 2012 he was much better than 2011. Even without winning the Libertadores he still played better than 2011.

Neymar's best season was 2012, to rank him higher any other season than 2012 just shows European bias.

5. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Suarez now is the best,too. Overrall i would rank him as second to Messi.
    Ballon d'or is a joke

6. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Suarez is good at dribbling. Of course this is not his main weapon but on the penalty area,his dribble is extremely dangerous.
    And i've mentioned in the past that he just has many ways to crush his opponents. This is why his threat level is incredible

7. tLB Odiseo

tLB Odiseo Member

Dec 18, 2011
    México
    Club:
    NEC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    In fact I followed Neymar almost match by match and although in 2012 had better numbers, in my opinion showed a higher performance in 2011.

TOP 15 - 2011
    Lionel MESSI
    2. C. RONALDO
    3. XAVI
    4. Andrés INIESTA
    5. Wayne ROONEY
    6. Franck RIBERY
    7. Zlatan IBRAHÍMOVIC
    8. THIAGO SILVA
    9. Manuel NEUER
    10. NEYMAR
    11. Robin VAN PERSIE
    12. Mario GÓMEZ
    13. Radamel FALCAO
    14. Edinson CAVANI
    15. Antonio DI NATALE​

8. tLB Odiseo

tLB Odiseo Member

Dec 18, 2011
    México
    Club:
    NEC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I use 10 categories: goalkeepers , central defenders , lateral defenders , defensive midfielders , central midfielders , offensive midfielders , trequartista/mediapunta , wingers , forwards and strikers.

9. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Then you must not have watched. I don't think there's even an argument for it. Neymar 2012 was simply dazzling. in the brasileirao he pretty much scored every match he played (he played half the number of matches because he was busy with the National Team) and then at the National team level he was also scoring at almost every game. Libertadores he was a gem to watch also.. and that's also the year he got the goal of the year award... because he was playing out of his mind.

The inter goals were also in 2012 if you forgot. 2012 was by far his best year.

10. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    So you pretty much rate defenders as just those guys in the back booting balls forward?

because the difference in defending styles are also important. You can't have 2 David Luiz playing next to each other. That would be a recipe for disaster.

11. tLB Odiseo

tLB Odiseo Member

Dec 18, 2011
    México
    Club:
    NEC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That's what I saw and it's my perception about it and if you don't agree with it it's okay.

unclesox repped this.
  12. tLB Odiseo

tLB Odiseo Member

Dec 18, 2011
    México
    Club:
    NEC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Have not you seen the rankings that are on this forum? Because they are many.

So the categories are general because it is not practical to make a category for each main function. In the central defenders are the stoppers, liberos, advanced liberos and the defenders that were very balanced in both facets.

13. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Yet everyone in this forum goes on and on to make offensive categories. Why? so they can include a more diverse range of offensive players. Didn't you see that I prefaced it with, nobody here will agree with my top 10 or 20 because I put too many defensive players?

Imagine that... a list that has Matthaus but does not have Cruyff... Simple... Matthaus to me is the best player that has ever played his position. So... he is a better and more influential player than Cruyff... oh the heresy...

Beckenbauer in front of Maradona!? no it can't be!! Bobby Moore in the list and Yashin!? no Di Stefano!?

Wait wait... you mean to say that Carlos Alberto Torres is AHEAD of Zidane!? OH GOD WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THIS WORLD!!!

simple... you guys give too much credit for offensive players and forget it is a team sport. Like you said it yourself... not practical to make a category for each main function..

Unless those functions are....

defensive midfielders , central midfielders , offensive midfielders , trequartista/mediapunta , wingers , forwards and strikers.

That's 4 different midfielders (5 cause a lot of midfielders are also wingers) and 3 different forwards

Meanwhile... central defenders and lateral defenders.

14. tLB Odiseo

tLB Odiseo Member

Dec 18, 2011
    México
    Club:
    NEC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The categories help to the people to make rankings or in the comparison of players ... in the lateral defenders are including the full-backs, the wing-backs doesn't matter if they played in a defensive linea of 3, 4 or 5. It is more practical because in the inside of the category there is a comparison between players ... it would be more difficult if I separate them because anyway I would have to campare these players.
    The same happens in each category.

Everyone can make the categories they want.

15. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    you still differentiate Pirlo, Zidane, Maradona, Zico, Matthaus, Rijkaard, Simeone, Xavi etc.

Yes you are absolutely correct.

And Everyone seems to make offensive categories.

16. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Suarez is the one with most assits in la liga, 17 assits. Simply incridible for a striker. And his assits are great passes. The one vs Arsenal to Neymar, Espanoy to Messi latest match... Not just random pass

Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  17. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Would be cool if someone on youtube could make a compilation of his assists. It helps when discussing TH14 for example, for people to see the kind of assists he made so they don't misunderstand that he's some kind of master passer.

ko242 and leadleader repped this.
  18. KennyDalglish

KennyDalglish Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Proven goal-scorer in three leagues. Only problem was he didnt come to EPL or La Liga soon enough - so his career ends up being less fulfilled in comparison to his talent.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.spor...uarez-the-worlds-top-goal-scorer-2016-5715671

But going forward, barring any serious injury- I expect him to be the world's best goal-scorer for the next 5 years. (He probably wont eclipse Messi as the world's best player unless Messi moves to Man City or China - he doesnt have the full arsenal of abilities which Messi possesses but lesser players with lesser abilities have won the award ahead of Messi- the primary problem is that he is in a team where Messi is the star, so I dont know if it will be possible for him to actually win a Ballon D'or)

19. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No way, already 29. Won't be the best by the time he's 34, I'm quite certain.

20. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    he won it in three different clubs. There is no way to not rank him as "best striker ever" tier.
    Barcelona should've bought Suarez instead of Ibrahimovic

21. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I honestly think Suarez is the second best player in the world now. He's behind Messi, and he'd be behind a prime Cristiano Ronaldo. But CR7 is enough past it now that I think Suarez is better. And I just don't see others like Neymar, Bale, Pogba, Griezmann, etc. as being at Suarez's level at the moment.

Of course, the above doesn't answer the question about his all-time level. I think it's a hard question to answer. I think that for the last several years Suarez has been up there with some of the best strikers ever. But, at the moment, he hasn't maintained that level for enough years to necessarily be ranked as highly as his peak level might indicate. But he's only 29, so it's quite plausible that he will keep this level for another 3 or 4 years. If he does, then I think Suarez will have a pretty good case for being one of the greatest strikers in history. After all, in that scenario, he'd have had 7 or 8 years at a really incredible level, a Player of the Tournament award in a Copa America that his team won, and probably many club trophies. It would be hard to argue with that. But, of course, he could equally well have his level fall tomorrow and never get back to this level again, in which case his all-time standing would be a lot different. So it just depends.

giles varley, ko242 and Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  22. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    the only thing prime cr7 is better than Suarez is his number of great years. This makes Cr7 is higher than Suarez. Time will tell how far Suarez can reach.

23. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    He'd probably have to do something extraordinary with Uruguay to win it. Then again... how did Suarez fare in the 2011 Ballon voting? (I honestly don't know.)
    Iniesta and Xavi managed to do something extraordinary in 2010 yet Messi still beat them to the award.

Ozora repped this.
  24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    2011 was still too close to 2010 and the hand-ball incident which directed a lot of hatred towards Suarez. Even though (who are we kidding?) any other player with the opportunity would have done exactly as Suarez did.

unclesox repped this.
  25. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Prime CR7 is a better dribbler, I'd say. And probably a better passer, though playing for Barcelona is clearly having a very positive effect on Suarez's passing abilities and creativity. As a goalscorer though, I'd agree that prime CR7 is not necessarily better than Suarez has been the last several years. They have different goalscoring strengths, but there's not a whole lot between them in that regard. Overall, though, I do think prime CR7 was a better player. Nowadays, though, CR7 is not at all a better dribbler than Suarez and his goalscoring has dipped such that I'd put Suarez ahead in that regard too.

Ozora repped this.