How Good can this Italy be?

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by jerrito, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Parcae

Parcae Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Florenzi had another good match yesterday. Destro in my opinion had a bad one - it's more important in the long run to put away the easy chances he missed than it is to score the occasional wondergoal. That said, he does keep scoring ...

De Sciglio looked genuinely effective on the left for the first time that I've seen him. He was admittedly playing against mediocre opposition, but it gives me hope that he can adapt to that position.

Bonaventura also had a good match - it wasn't his fault that his side couldn't finish.

Darmian has been having a bad year so far. His side lost all their good players, though, which makes it difficult to judge him.

Bernardeschi stepped on the field as a late substitute and immediately picked up an assist.

Ogbonna continues to impress me. Chiellini continues to fill me with loathing.

Another nothing match for Zaza. I guess the real test will be when Berardi comes back.

I'm off to see if Gabbiadini is all he's cracked up to be.

2. Parcae

Parcae Member

Nov 3, 2013
    And Gabbi scores an absolutely beautiful goal to make it 0-1. I see what you guys were talking about.

3. JCNapoli17

JCNapoli17 Member+

Aug 23, 2012
    Winning
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Scorp redded repped this.
  4. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    lets see how he does by mid season if he is still putting them away like this then I say give him a chance.

5. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The EPL plays really freaking open or QPR just really sucks at closing down space.

6. JCNapoli17

JCNapoli17 Member+

Aug 23, 2012
    Winning
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Pelle has scored in most games I've seen him play in, think I'd rather see him get a chance then flavor of the month young strikers who are on relegation threatened teams.

Calcio Pauly and Parcae repped this.
  7. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think our top direct strikers are currently:

Zaza
    Immobile
    Pelle

With Gabbiadini and Berardi able to fill in or take more of a RW position.

On the LW/secondary striker side of things, to me, its between Insigne and El Sharaway - both have the creative flair needed but I'd only bring one moving forward.

After watching Totti's first half, I'd even consider him still - his touch is still elite and runs well. Obviously you don't build a program around him, but man is he class.

*What a flawless first half for Verratti today. A goal too, which was wonderful to see. He is a class act and World Class in every sense.

Scorp redded and jerrito repped this.
  8. Parcae

Parcae Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Florenzi is playing as a wingback today, and doing it well. Might be worth slotting him in as a left back for the NT.

I would start Pelle over Immobile right now. He has been both prolific and consistent for a long period - he's not a flash in the pan, although he is 29 and might start to lose form in the future. Immobile, on the other hand, has struggled to shine at a higher level than Torino.

Zaza I don't know about. He's been shit for a few matches, but he's on a shit team, so who knows.

jerrito repped this.
  9. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #109 Nek Sanalet, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    Mattia Destro has to be part of the conversation when it comes to direct strikers. He should be grouped with those three other guys at minimum. El Shaaraway has to get on the pitch and play consistently before even thinking about the national team. Milan should be his only concern for the immediate future. Conte won't take Insigne or Berardi any time soon for a multitude of reasons. Gabbiadini is a no-brainer at this point.

Zaza looked good for Conte, but I have my doubts about him also. His team is bad, but without Berardi they look even worse. He only had 9 goals last year, and while he played well against Holland and Norway, he did blow a plethora of chances. Unlike Immobile he has not had a prolonged prolific period of goal scoring. Talented yes, but still largely unproven even in Serie A.

Immobile has not looked like a superstar, but you are exaggerating his struggles to some extent. He scored in his first Champions League game, and has one goal in three starts for Dortmund. He was rested one game and came off the bench late for the other two. Plus he scored against Holland for Italy as well. 3 goals in 6 starts this season is not terrible. Lets give the guy more time….

Regardless, I'm all for giving Pelle some playing time.

jerrito repped this.
  10. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Ever consider that maybe he's another late bloomer like Lucas Tony? If he's in form, give him a go!

11. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    like i said to early to tell which is why i said lets see whats going on mid season

12. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I'm not talking about mid season. The next round of internationals are 10 days away. The objective is to try in form players, and with him being in form now it's a good time to give him a shot.

jerrito repped this.
  13. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    When did one season become prolonged and prolific?

14. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pelle! what a goal

15. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    The play of Verratti, Gabbiadini, Okaka, and Pelle are obviously all good signs for us. Although I still think we should be erring on the side of younger players than Pelle.

However, the best news for me coming out of Serie A is the emergence of Romagnoli. Unlike some Italian managers, Sinisa is willing to give a 19 year old talent a shot. None of this "I don't want to burn them out early" crap.

Romagnoli has responded with a goal and assist against Chievo, and a fantastic performance in the Genoa-Samp derby. Sinisa compares him to Nesta. A big missing piece for Conte is a world class CB. Fingers crossed on this one.

jerrito and whill4 repped this.
  16. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea italy needs to get back in the defense business and produce more CBs

17. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #117 Nek Sanalet, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    3 minutes in and Immobile scores his second goal in two Champions League starts. Not a huge sample size, but I don't see any evidence of him struggling to shine outside of Torino at this point.

I see that spineless weasel Prandelli is up to his old tricks of being embarrassed on a international stage.

FORZA NAPOLI <3 and Scorp redded repped this.
  18. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  19. muptonfish

muptonfish Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Italy has a talent problem right now. We have 0 world class players in their prime right now. We have a bunch of decent complimentary players right now. These players are great to fill out a squad/line up with when you have a few world class players to lift them. Unfortunately they look very average at the International level at the moment.