How Good can this Italy be?

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by jerrito, Sep 10, 2014.

1. sempreITALIA

sempreITALIA Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In the short cameos he had while at Milan he was always deployed in front of the defense as a deep lying CM. I think a fair comparison with regard to playing style is who @krado33 compared him to, Xabi Alonso.

jerrito repped this.
  2. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I know he has played as deep lying playmaker and Inzaghi talked about him being his regista when both he and Galliani said he wasn't for sale early this summer :rolleyes: ... so much for that...but Allegri had used him in more advanced positions...as RM in his 433 vs Atalanta (gosl) and Sassuolo (assist). Also when he put him in vs Plezn at 16 years of age as a sub for Robinho. I have the impression he can play both ends.

3. OldLady

OldLady Member+

Sep 8, 2011
    Berlin
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Conte: 'Balotelli and Pelle'
    By Football Italia staff

Antonio Conte assured Mario Balotelli can get back into the Italy squad if he’s “professional,” but is also “watching Graziano Pellè.”

The Azzurri Coach spoke to the Corriere dello Sport and outlined some of his plans.

“I have no prejudice against Mario,” assured the tactician who left Liverpool striker Balotelli out of his debut game against Holland.

“I do not rule anyone out, but I do demand my players act like professionals. If you are not focused, if you wander about thinking only of yourself and basically graze on the pitch, then that’s not good enough for me.

“My choice not to call Balotelli and Cerci was natural in that sense. From here on we’ll see who will play, how they play and what attitudes are like on and off the field.

“With me it’s a constant revolving door policy, so you can come in and you can go out.”

Conte confessed he is keeping an eye on Southampton striker Pellè, who had already impressed at Feyenoord and now has four goals in five games for the Saints.

“On top of scoring 50 goals in 57 games in Holland, Pellè is now also scoring in England. We are watching him, as we are with others.

“I want a squad of 25-30 players based on meritocracy. I am not interested if your name is x or y, as I want 30 people who think ‘we are the Nazionale.’

“If a player is talented, you play him. At Arezzo I used Ranocchia when he was 18, while Pogba came from the Manchester United youth side and at Juve we immediately realised what a player he was.

“Then there is the reality of the market. Immobile went to Borussia Dortmund for €20m, money that the Italian clubs could not afford.

“Verratti was coming from Serie B and went to PSG for €12m. We know Verratti, but we already have De Rossi and Pirlo in that role. Daniele told me he’s available to play inside midfield, but there I see people like Marchisio, Giaccherini, Florenzi, Parolo, Poli, Montolivo or Aquilani.

“The main problem is that if you have quality and do not run, that’s not enough for me. You must also provide intensity. De Rossi, like others, has a positive rage within him.”

Parcae repped this.
  4. Parcae

Parcae Member

Nov 3, 2013
    None of whom are in Verratti's league. And he says that Verratti doesn't run enough and then immediately says he's competing for a spot with Pirlo.

I have a lot of respect for Conte, but this worries me. At least Verratti is a starter on a sufficiently good club team that we can be sure he will continue to develop with or without NT playing time.

Stamos repped this.
  5. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well said

6. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Personally, I would like to see Verratti given a chance and start a few games under Conte. Saying that, Italy can win without him. If Conte doesn't rate Verratti…than so be it. The Azzurri can still hoist trophies in his absence.

7. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Well we'll breeze through qualifying anyway so Conte can't really lose. We'll only find out deep into the tournament when we're trying to beat a Germany or someone similar.

That said, I do think Verratti needs to focus on being a more active/mobile midfielder, which he's capable of... and then I hope Conte takes notice.

8. Parcae

Parcae Member

Nov 3, 2013
    From today's matches:

-Immobile missed most of the match, apparently resting from the CL. He still managed to miss a PK during his few minutes on the pitch.

-Liverpool lost. Balotelli did set up a goal though.

-Rugani scored a goal. Did anybody see that match who can comment on his performance?

-Pelle set up a goal. We really can't claim his performance is due to Eredivisie defending at this point. I think he'll be called up soon.

-SES and Bonaventura both had eminently forgettable games in Milan's defeat to Juve. In fairness, though, by far the biggest gap between the teams was in the midfield and in mentality - Milan spent most of the second half imitating a turtle. We'll see how they develop more in future games. At least they're both playing.

-Regarding SES in particular, my impression was that he absolutely cannot handle being given defensive duties. He might actually fit better into Conte's 3-5-2 than into Milan's current setup.

-Marchisio had a pretty good match for Juve.

-Poli was pretty mediocre and was part of Milan's Incredible Collapsing Midfield (TM).

-Abate lost his man and helped give up a goal. Thank goodness we have enough other options at right back that we hopefully won't be seeing much of him for the NT in future.

-De Sciglio continues to be badly out of place on the left. I really, really don't think he can play there, and I also think that being constantly played out of position has to be hurting his development.

-Chiellini was, as usual, divetastic. I hate that guy.

-Buffon made a really nice save.

-Ogbonna looked pretty good. I wouldn't mind seeing him called up for the NT soon.

Aaaaand I think that's about it. Anyone else have different impressions?

Edit: Also Giaccherini continues to suck

9. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    ^^
    Thanks for the round-ups.
    -I think it might be a tough year for Immobile. Big pricetag, new environment, serious competition for his spot and doesn't really have high end skills. Hope I'm wrong. (Was a good goal mid-week though)

10. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Some on here, or one, might disagree.

Unused sub on the NT so far, but Allegri has used him enough to conclude that he's reliable though probably not as comfortable going disease forward as Asamoah.

11. Parcae

Parcae Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Florenzi was the standout today, picking up a goal and an assist. Destro also scored (on the aforementioned assist.) No one else really impressed. Sassuolo in particular had a nil-nil draw with Sampdoria, during which two favorites on this forum (Zaza and Gabbiadini) both failed to accomplish anything.

12. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Take them off the list...till next week (I guess) :)

13. Parcae

Parcae Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Well, they're both young and have good mentalities. I'm not dismissing them. But more consistency would be nice.

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  14. Calabrese5

Calabrese5 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  15. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think he can kill someone with his eyes.

LGRod, Calcio Pauly and Nek Sanalet repped this.
  16. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #91 Calcio Pauly, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    He said: 'OFI is not Real Madrid, is not Barcelona. It's a small team with many problems. I want my players to play with balls, with heart.'

'I no like the excuse that maybe the players don't play with heart because (the club) no pay salary. F*** off - this no true.'

"But me an my players, no touch...me touch my players, you no touch!"

[​IMG]

"e quello che scrivano sui giornali, sono tutti cazzate...shit...you say it...is shit...malakia...100% malakia!!!

:ROFLMAO:

I love Gattuso

LGRod, jerrito and Il Ciuccio repped this.
  17. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    "I have many monies in the bank" lol

Daei_10, Calcio Pauly and jerrito repped this.
  18. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    he's saying b/c he doesn't run enough and so is primarily a passing midfielder that he is competing with Pirlo.

19. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Does Prandelli post on here?

20. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Montolivo is world class and Verratti would be lucky to become as good as him, remember? ;)

provolone please

Nice mind reading, BTW :laugh:

21. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Only one from me, De Rossi, Pirlo’

Marco Verratti calls Antonio Conte’s training sessions as ‘strange’, and expects only one from himself, Daniele De Rossi and Andrea Pirlo to start for Italy.

The Azzurri have begun under their new CT with two wins from two earlier this month, and the Paris Saint-Germain midfielder has reflected on first impressions.

“His training sessions are strange, there’s loads of tactics, but he is one of the best I’ve ever had,” Verratti has told the Gazzetta dello Sport today.

“In the game against the Netherlands for instance, we tried those goals in 10-v-0 situations in training.”

When asked how he feels in this tactical set-up, Verratti commented that there’s space for only one of the expressive players in his position.

“With Italy I think that only one between me, Andrea Pirlo and Daniele De Rossi can start because none of us can play as attacking midfielder in the way Conte wants.

“It would be like asking me to play as a full back – I would do it with all my heart but…

“Then, I know that Pirlo will return and will be of great help. We have a great relationship.

“If I do not play, it is not the fault of Andrea. Even the last time, he was not there and I did not play all the same.”

22. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ good kid

jerrito repped this.
  23. Parcae

Parcae Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Balotelli and Immobile both had shitty matches, while Pelle scored the winner for Southampton. Is it too early to canonize him?

jerrito repped this.
  24. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    No. Not too early. He makes the list this week at least. :) Keep it up another two and he might get his international call.

jerrito and St. Michael's Sword repped this.
  25. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Pelle's goal was beautiful.

Destro also scored his second goal in two starts for Roma. Since Mattia came back from his injury last year he's basically averaging a goal every start in Serie A.