How Good can this Italy be?

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by jerrito, Sep 10, 2014.

1. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We have now seen a pair of 2-0 victories from Antonio Conte's Azzurri. The team is playing with a great deal of energy and looks inspired, but it is very early in his administration of the team. We are seeing a high level of talent from players like Zaza, Darmian, better play from Bonucci, and it seems like good leadership from De Rossi. Buffon is Buffon and Sirigu is capable so we are fine in goal. Of course there are always questions. Does this group or the players available have enough ability to compete against France, Spain, Brazil, is Conte tactically smart enough, etc...

So what do you think? Is this Italia good enough to win the next European or World Cup?

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  2. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Italy is always a threat if they have team unity and a coach that can inspire them (plus tactically put all the pieces together). I think with Conte Italy has a chance to win a big tournament for sure. Obviously, luck is also a major factor in winning sometimes. The Azzurri also have some possible big time players in the 20-24 range coming up (more in midfield and forward than defense though).

If we are strictly speaking Conte…than winning the Euro Cup is more likely. I'm not even sure he will be around after that. As with most coaches, his motivational tools may loss some effectiveness after a few years also.

jerrito repped this.
  3. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We'd probably still be behind Spain and Germany on talent. The CB's can look a bit shaky and as always, no genuine Attacking midfielder coming through (which means a lack of service to strikers).

jerrito repped this.
  4. Parcae

Parcae Member

Nov 3, 2013
    As I see it, these are the current problems the NT needs to solve, in approximate order of importance:

1. No left wingback. We need one of these and the likes of Criscito won't do.

Potential solution: None that I can see. De Sciglio is not going to magically switch feet.

2. Mediocre center backs. Bonucci is actually pretty good as a libero, I think, but he needs two good center backs to flank him.

Potential solution: One or more young center backs might emerge (Rugani), and DDR can be moved back to that position if necessary.

3. Sort out the center midfield. It's not bad right now, exactly, but Conte needs to work out how to integrate young talent (Verratti, maybe Jorginho, F. Rossi and some others depending on how they develop). It could also use a real holding midfielder.

4. Work out how to combine our best strikers and hope the Italian media doesn't ruin them.

Potential solution: We have a lot of talent here. Rossi, alas, is probably finished. Zaza looks like a lock right now, but who knows how he'll continue to develop. Immobile is, I think, too limited a player to be the focus of our offense. I would like to see a way to integrate SES and Berardi with Zaza, which is easy on paper but harder when you remember we need three center backs (or better center backs).

About the Italian media, alas, nothing can be done.

jerrito repped this.
  5. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Agreed.

We have to sort out LB, add at least one more CB, and inject a little more creativity in the midfield. I'm actually fine with the strikers.

jerrito repped this.
  6. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How good can they be?

As good as Conte motivates them to be. The talent is there.

The way I see it, he has a deep pool to choose from. LB appears weak but how come everyone has ignored Luca Antonelli? Fast, skilled and able to play more advanced. Then there is Pasqual for the time being...Santon is comfortable on the left....and Nicola Murru has potential.

There's also the option of playing more offensively with someone like El Sharaway or Insigne in the LWB/LW role.

In central D, I'm hoping Barzagli has a few more prime years left in the tank. And of course, it'd be nice if Rugani and Camporese develop into quality starters.

jerrito repped this.
  7. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I very much agree with the motivation idea, Stamos. I think he can sustain this, because it is his true personality. Early in the match you could hear him yell "Non fischia un cazzo" referring to the referee. Then he said something like "andate duri." That is exactly the type of attitude I hoped to see from them under Conte.

As for the idea of not having great centerbacks, it is true that we do not have a Cannavaro, but it seems like we can defend "well enough" with the talent available. especially if we continue to score goals.

Only time will tell, of course.

8. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Strong chance that we can beat Spain with Conte's style of play

9. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    1)
    even though none of the below is true I'm curious about one thing Totti-Fan who is also a fan of Napoli

2)
    Does your first point above still apply if it is in a final of a tournament vs Spain, such that point 2 would not actually come into effect?

If/Then
    And/Or
    Logical fallacies and all that fun stuff aside?

and please no more cheese, I'm full...a nice espresso on the other hand :coffee: :inlove:

10. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [​IMG]

11. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
  12. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm prepared to debate calcio points of view with you but unfortunately I don't think that is your intent.

13. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    No you are not. You're full of sh..eese, as demonstrated by all your nonsensical troll posts. We both know why though. That, plus your imagination is not really all that creative and you mostly get that wrong too.

Gotta run, dinner calls...talk to you later, little buddy.

14. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You consider yourself a mind reader.

With no self awareness.
    If I called you out for trolling when I was trolling that would be just stupid.

I'm keeping it simple for you. You're not worthy of much more effort than that anyway.

Run yes you are good at that like the first time you ran away b/c it was all just too much for you.
    I don't really want to do this but you just keep crying out for help:

"Please pay attention to me.
    Look, look what at he said about Montolivo and Verratti.
    I know so much more about calcio then he does and I desperately want to prove it but I don't know how.
    Why won't he agree with me so I can feel better about myself.
    More Big Soccer posters agree with me so I must be right"

and so on....

We formed a truce b4 but you chose to break it by constantly requoting stuff I said months ago.

I though I might ignore you but it wasn't just once or twice it was a lot. But you are like an old woman you just have to go on and on in the hope that you achieve some sort of impossible victory. What exactly are you trying to prove?

15. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Me? Mind reading? You mean like this:

You have a bad habit of that you know... :p

We both know that aint true and that you love me and all, confirmed by dozens of pm's you sent me daily. I just didn't want that many a day. You couldn't take the hint. What am I to do? But what does that have to do with my questions here? Nothing, I'd say.

If you're really interested in sticking on topic here, then do it...no one is forcing you to do otherwise.

*snipped weird sensitive emo stuff*

Eh?!? Truce?? Wtf are you taking about? This isn't war kid! If you aren't prepared to discuss or debate any "calcio" "facts" that you make, and resort to linking pictures of cheese instead, why make them in the first place dude?

Are you a man, or a mouse?
    Do I even want that answered? :cautious:

16. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was referring to specific comments that you had made. There is a big difference b/w that and me telling you what I am thinking and you disagreeing.

We were amicable at one stage you were discussing your holiday activities and so on. For you to suggest that the communications were one way traffic though would be dishonest.

More lies. You were so miserable last time you put me on ignore. Why you chose to reopen old wounds I'll never know. Maybe you found some new meds, I don't know?

The cheese was for you.

17. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Uhm, I still can't get pm's from you, if that's what you're referring to? But what does that have to do with your lame emo ridden responses now?!? Like I said before, if your claim is that you can stick to the topic, the demonstrate that already.

18. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Nice try. Some of those issues do belong in your too hard basket though.

I am. You are the topic.

19. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    You know full well I'm not capable of receiving pm's from you, and I'm quite happy keeping it that way. Knowing you all too well you've certainly been trying to reach me with your plea's to stop, like you did last time. But this lesson is especially made for you, so I cannot! ;)

20. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Reach you with pleas to stop?
    All I have been sending you is cheese little mouse.

21. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Sorry dude. No amount of begging will get me to allow you to flood my inbox with your pm's (PMS) induced nonsensical pop psyche insights :) but hey, you get my attention here aye!

22. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    keep squeaking away little mouse

23. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #23 Calcio Pauly, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
    Don't worry little buddy, I plan on challenging every half brained notion you present in these forums herein! ;)

You can be a man a defend them with reason, or show everyone what a cowardly little mouse you are and go on another silly cheese troll diversion again demonstrating your true colors for every one to see. :)

Either way, I promise to keep you engaged :D

24. sempreITALIA

sempreITALIA Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #24 sempreITALIA, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    Not sure there are many Serie A fans as devout as myself, but if they do exist watch the early match Torino - Sampdoria tomorrow morning. Conte has his eye on an oriundo available for selection as early as October by the name of Juan Sanchez Mino. Extremely technical player that is 24 years old, left footed and can get up and down the wing. Much more attack minded then De Sciglio, but is willing to put in work on the defensive side (a poor man's Di Maria for Italy may I claim).

At least for the national team De Sciglio will then be able to move over to the right where he is much more comfortable and players like Track and Field Phenom, Abate, and over the hill, Maggio can end their "forgettable" service with the NT. Having Mino would also give Conte more flexibility and an opportunity to alternate between both Darmian and De Sciglio depending on the opponent. With Mino and Darmian on the wings Italy would presumably press higher with their wing backs and attack whereas when De Sciglio is opposite Mino he'd act as more of a safety valve that slides into the back 4 when Italy is under pressure.

On a side note, it wouldn't surprise me if by the end of De Sciglio's career he converts into a CB. He's very strong in one v. one situations on the defensive side. He wont be a winger his entire career.

Parcae and jerrito repped this.
  25. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #25 Nek Sanalet, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    I've seen Mino play and Criscito is better. We have to stop sweating every half decent oriundo. This practice is almost as annoying as waiting for Italians to be 28 before we give them a chance. Paletta, Romulo, Mino, and even Motta (at least for the national team if not his club) are not better than most of their Azzurri challenging counterparts in Serie A. They just get extra chances due to this fascination that South Americans (of Italian descent) are somehow more special. I also think that moving De Sciglio to RB stops the progression of Darmian at that position. Good to see two Italian players score nice goals for Sampadoria…Gabbiadini and Okaka.

Parcae and jerrito repped this.