How far would you drive to watch professional soccer?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by madhoman, Jul 19, 2004.

1. ut8man

ut8man Member

Oct 16, 2004
    The SLC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    In 2001 I drove from Salt Lake City to Pasadena (681 miles) to watch US v. Brasil. We drove down, watched the game and then drove back. It was well worth it. From SLC I'd drive to Phoenix, Denver, the Bay Area or SoCal to check out the US or Mexico play.

2. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

One question. Why drive? Can you not get the Premier League on cable or satalite.

3. GinaTherese

GinaTherese New Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Sweden
    I wouldn't drive like this like every week, but if there was a topmatch located about 3-4 hours from where I live only played like once a year or so, and if I've got the tickets then.... :rolleyes:

4. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hitched a ride from Chicago to Columbus for the Jamaica qualie. I would have driven if I didn't catch said ride.

If I go to Birmingham, I'll probably fly---that way I'll only have to take one vacation day.

5. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Hey, Glenwood, I'm thinking of starting a carpool for B'ham. Think there will be enough interest??

6. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

You could count me in. If i lived in the USA. :) :) :)

7. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard for me to say. It wouldn't hurt anything to post something on the Fire Board and the Fans and Travel board and gauge interest that way.

Personally, my plane would be to fly out Tuesday evening, arrive in BHam around 8:30, and then I'd rent a car. A flight out would arrive in Chicago by 10:00am Thursday, and I'm at work by 11. So I miss a day and a half of work, tops. Flight is about $215.

I just started a new job this past Monday, and I really don't have any idea what my critical dates are, whether I have to be in the office the 1st of every month, etc..

Mapquest has it as a 12 hour trip. I'd be more interested in pooling if it were a weekend.

8. Bilbao2Brooklyn

Jun 20, 2001
    Brooklyn,U.S.A.
    300 miles

ny to columbus

9. jmsullivan

jmsullivan Member

Sep 14, 2000
    Fairhaven Ma.
    Took a bus once from Brown U in Providence to UVA. 10 hr ride. Watch the game and 10 hrs home. Absolutely miserable. Providence to Birmingham drive is around 30 hrs. Flying is $200.
    Maybe I'll pass over the carpool on the way. As long as the sides have settled of course. See "youse'all" there.

10. StartaRevolution

StartaRevolution New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falmouth,MA
    When I was in Austin Texas on vacation I was thinking of driving to Dallas for the game but we thought better. Someday I will be inspired to make such a journey though especially if MLS Cup is say in NY.

11. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surely you don't mean 30 hours one way? :confused: Because I've driven from Boston to Birmingham with it snowing part of the way in 20 hours.

12. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    Btw, a friend of mine made the trip from Germany to Japan to the Toyota world club championship (or whatever it is called) in Tokyo. Borussia Dortmund played Cruzeiro Belo Horizonte on a December Tuesday or Wednesday (if I remember correctly) and won the club's world cup back in 1997.

Ok, he is a Lufthansa pilot and thus has only to pay 10% of the ticket's face value for a stand-by flight. ;-)