How far would you drive to watch professional soccer?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by madhoman, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't drive - I pedal.

2. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in Cleveland and hold season tickets for the Columbus Crew. 117 miles, 2 hours each way. I have driven to Chicago v Columbus and DC Utd v Columbus, both about 6 hours one way. I've flown to Boston for US v Jamaica and LA for Gold Cup 2002.

3. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    That's what I was thinking. We drive 300 miles for out of boredom. I live for the day when our gas money serves a purpose.

4. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    I wish I lived in a place that small with so much to do. Europe is the way to go, folks.

5. Colin Bell the King

Colin Bell the King New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Wythenshawe
    I drive average of 150/200 miles twice or so a month for Man City away games. Sometimes I only need to travel 15 miles, sometimes up to 300.

And last season I did drive from Manchester to Lokeren, Belgium- 500 miles maybe?

Oh, and flew from Manchester to Berlin, then drove up from there to Groclin in Poland in november for thier game - think that was like 700/1000 miles. (and we got beat. :()

6. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    For Man City? :eek:

Well done! I wish there were more loyal supporters like yourself. :D

7. GuinnessFC

GuinnessFC New Member

Jun 1, 2000
    NWI
    Well not sure if this question mean is for one match or every weekend.... Drive about 100 hundred every weekend to watch the Fire... I have driven to almost every stadium in the US to watch the Fire.... And have caught alot of the US Nats...via automoble... So basically if there is a game to be watched I would drive there....

8. mannellaice

mannellaice New Member

May 8, 2001
    KC, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm gonna drive 10 hours each way for the us/jamaica qual. in columbus, and i have tests the next day :-D

9. mannellaice

mannellaice New Member

May 8, 2001
    KC, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm gonna drive 10 hours each way for the us/jamaica wc qualifier in november, and i have a test the next day...:)

10. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the first two seasons I had season ticket for DC United and drove every week from Harrisburg PA. It was about 124 miles each way. Compared to a bunch of the other distances listed it's not that far. Depending on traffic it was 1 1/2 to 2 hrs.

I now live in Chicago and have season tickets for the Fire. The funny thing is that a couple of times going out to Napperville it took me just as long as it took me to drive to DC. :rolleyes:

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I drove 2800 miles round trip to Dallas and Kansas City earlier this year for USA/Mexico and Colorado/Kansas City.

I've driven to DC, 270 miles one-way, around 15 times this year, quite a few as one-day round trips - and twice to catch a bus to East Rutherford.

I've also driven to Charleston, SC: 300 miles one-way

During the Champions League I did a Durham-Philadelphia-Pittsburgh-Durham trip and after flying to Newark, I went Newark-East Hartford-Newark-Philadelphia-Newark.

12. Stalteri Rules

Stalteri Rules New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Toronto ON
    Not a drive, but a flight to Munich then a train to Bremen to watch my favourite player, Paul Stalteri, Mr. Canada, play against Dortmund. Worth every minute... and yes, I did a few other things while I was there. I'll be doing it again in February or March 2005.

13. IrishQuake

IrishQuake New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Alameda, CA, USA
    The most I've driven for a match is 600 miles each way. It was worth every minute of it.

14. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    we usually take trains in japan.

15. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a season ticket holder for Leeds United, but live 200 miles from Leeds. That a nice 400 miles round trip, unless i'm at my parent's place in which it is 280 miles each way. I don't have a problem doing either.

I do prefer taking the train though...

16. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I was going to drive to Denver, 560 miles one way, from my parents' house to see a Crapids game against the Fire, instead I got tickets to the Liverpool Roma game in NJ. If there's a Hex game or a friendly in Denver I'd drive 680 miles one way there and if it's in Seattle I'd drive 816 miles there.

17. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    it depends...I've flown to the UK to go to Arsenal games and plan to take the Eurostar from Paris for a Fulham game this winter....However I wouldn't drive any further then the burbs to the city for an MLS game...

18. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I drove all over England. Been to Milan and Baralona. Just to watch Newcastle. In Barcelona, it rained the day of the game. It got called off. Are flights were booked to come home that night. We watched it in England, unlucky.

19. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Westerners are going to have skewed results, as things are just farther away here. I wouldn't think twice about driving to

20. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Damned return key...

...driving to San Jose to see the Galaxy play up there, and that's a whole hell of a long way away. North Jersey to Foxboro for a WCQ would be a snap, too.

Of course, I did just fly 9 timezones to watch a couple of meaningless European league matches -- does that count? ;)

21. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thats impressive mate. But distance is irrelevent. You follow your club. End of. Just so happens i live close to St James Park. If i lived anywhere in the world. You could bet anything that my arse would be on my seat come kick off on a Saturday afternoon.

22. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm currently analyzing the costs and consequences of driving 920 miles to Birmingham for what hopefully won't be scabs vs. Guatamala match. :rolleyes:

23. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Im driving almost 700 to see it.

24. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be willing to drive a lot further than I need to (approx. 35 miles each way) if I didn't live near an MLS city. In the near future I'll be done with graduate school and (hopefully) making more scratch. Hopefully I'll have the time and resources to make some road trips. And I'd like to get back down to Charleston to see the Battery again for old time's sake.

25. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, I took the 'professional' part of the thread title seriously. I'm looking at making some road trips to see the Nats next year, hopefully.