How does the US elimination from World Cup affect RSL?

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by PumaJohnny, Oct 11, 2017.

1. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am devastated by the loss. To be fair, we've been on the edge of qualifying for the last year, so I'm amazed at how shocked I am that we didn't get it done in T&T and that MLS players from Panama and Honduras led their teams to victories.

So how does this affect RSL? Miles Dunn has already declared that some of the former greats will now be remembered as the guys who couldn't get it done to qualify for WC18. He also calls for no one over 30 to play another national team game and to start looking as young as the U-17s to get ready for WC22.

This search for youth moves cap requests from Nick Rimando and towards our former academy players like Glad, Acosta and Lennon.

He also calls for Vermes and Klopp as possible replacements for Arena. I think this is a bit heavy as Arena inherited a bad situation and was starting to right the ship. Also, I guess I could root for a team led by Vermes, but I'd fill a bit whorish at first.

What are your thoughts and how do you think this affects RSL?

Allez RSL repped this.
  2. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no US coach I would even consider for the job. We need a quality coach (Klinsmann never really was). Spend some time and get the proper replacement for Arena. Agree with gutting most of the team. No reason to keep Altidore, Dempsey, Howard, Bradley etc along. They couldn't get it done when we needed, and they'd be too old for 2022. Stick with the youth. I don't care if it means crappy Gold Cup squads for a few years. I'd much rather groom the youth and get them ready for the next WC.

As far as how it affects RSL? No different than currently. We already lost those players to the youth national teams, so unless they don't get called up at all anymore, we'll still see them miss time with RSL.

3. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    We've gotta keep a few of the veterans around, but that's it.

Nicky only belongs there as a GK coach. Not as a player. Dump Guzan and Howard too. Well, maybe keep Guzan in the loop.

On board with gutting the team and dropping most everyone over 30. I'd shift away from Bradley being the midfield anchor of the team ASAP, and definitely scrap the entire backline aside from Yedlin and a healthy John Brooks. Cameron can stay for the next rotation.

The midfield is a complete ??? aside from Pulisic.

Even Jozy might need to take a back seat. Dempsey hangs around for a year if he cares about besting some of the records.

We've got 4 years with nothing to lose. Taylor Twellman's rant was on point. We need a wholesale purge and rebuild of USSF and get the whole country together in a clear strategic vision of what it's gonna take, much like what Germany did.

Blazer is gone. Time for Gulati now too, who got us on this road to ruin by handing the reigns to the charlatan Klinsmann. It's been a long time coming.

RSLer, DrownedElf, 15 to 32 and 3 others repped this.
  4. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably fair. If there is a time to start with a focus on youth and "trust the plan" it's now, with 5 years til the next world cup. I take little joy in "burn it down and start over" which often backfires, but I'm convinced Gulati has taken us as far as TV deals can take us.

BalanceUT and Chesco United repped this.
  5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Biggest impact might be the Lennons and Glads of the club and league might get a chance sooner than expected.

Btw I’m pissed still.

RSLer and ajr_RSL repped this.
  6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think this heavily effects RSL. We didn't have anyone on the USMNT radar. Glad was being ignored. Same with any other US player we have.

Soccer in this country, however, is at a serious crossroads. Last night, after the game, Sunil was far too "things were just an inch away" for me. ******** this. We shouldn't be going into the last day of CONCACAF qualifiers needing points. We also shouldn't act like this was just one game where we didn't perform and are now paying for it. No. This entire qualification cycle, even before the HEX, has been disastrous. And that's largely because the generation that should be pushing the team isn't. This same group (as has been said numerous times) failed to make the Olympics twice. They've now topped that with doing something that hasn't happened in my 28 years of life.

I had a good discussion on twitter about where things need to improve for US soccer to fix this. I think, first and foremost, is our technical development of players under the age of 12. Far too much of what US soccer focuses on in coaching licenses and the like is on the ages of 12+ and, more damning, winning. We just watched what was supposed to be some of the best players in US Soccer history get passed around and out classed by the likes of Trinidad, Honduras, and Panama.

There isn't really a part of US soccer right now that I would say is doing all it can/should to help our national team. From the very top to the very very bottom, it's all broken in one way or another. Wholesale change needs to happen. Pay to play needs to die, academies need to be the utmost focus of MLS teams, NCAA soccer needs serious restructuring if not elimination, coaching licenses need to be structured towards level of play and age, etc etc.

Lizzie Bee and RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States