How does Sweden cope post-ZLATAN?

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Oct 24, 2016.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Isaksson and Kallstrom have also retired. 2 huge mainstays with the team but of course the largest piece missing is Zlatan. How do you think the nation will adapt in the years to come? Are Berg, Toivonen, Guidetti good enough?

2. Kung

Kung Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Club:
    Hammarby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I think we will do fine to be honest. You forgot to mention that our rather incompetent coach also left. Our new one pretty much did a "Leicester" with the club IFK Norrköping in Allsvenskan. We also seem to have quite a lot of young talent since we won the last U21 European Championship and managed to qualify for this tournamnet as well.

The two players that I think will stand out are Emil Forsberg (RB Leipzig) and Victor Lindelöf (Benfica). However I'll be suprised if we manage to qualify for the world cup since I presume it'll take time for this generation to establish themself and we got a very tough group with France and the dutch.

IASocFan and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    who are your primary goalscorers? I see Marcus Berg is a regular now, though his move to the Middle East for the $$$, any young guys to challenge him and Toivonen?

4. Kung

Kung Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Club:
    Hammarby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Strikes is something we really do lack. In the short-term I presume we hope for Guidetti, Nyman, Thelin and Ishak. None of them have however done a good job in our national team.

We also got Strandberg and Engvall doing alright in our U21 squad.

I think that our new superstar will be Alexander Isak (18 years old atm) who currently is in Dortmund. He played for AIK in Allsvenskan scoring ten goals when he was 16/17 years old. The highlights in his carrier must have been his two goals against Djurgården at the Stockholm derby when he turned 17 the same day.
    He was bought by Dortmund for 80 million SEK (9,5 million euros) which is a transfer record from Sweden (beating Ibrahimović).

He did score against Malta recently in the U21 national team and did also score a goal against Slovakia in one of his two games in the proper Swedish national team. Being the youngest player to ever score for Sweden.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Does the manager bring Zlatan to Russia?

6. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I would say ... no chance ...

7. Sian

Sian Member

Dec 4, 2011
    I would say that you're too optimistic on Zlatans behalf ...

I'm more along the lines of "no way in hell".

8. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Zlatan is also co-owner of the betting compagny Bethard .. that alone will prevent him from playing at a WC according to FIFA regulations :
    https://www.bethard.com/

vestergaard repped this.
  9. Kung

Kung Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Club:
    Hammarby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    If you ask the swedish people then no.

Swedish journalists are doing their best to get him into the squad. However journalists in Sweden are also major scumbags who are pro anything with immigration.

If Zlatan keep telling everyone that it's he who decide if he plays in the world cup, I think no.
    Since Janne Andersson isn't a whimp like Hamrén was.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I can see the pro and anti camps.

But it's not as if anyone else is doing the scoring or bringing a lot of offense to the party.

Kung repped this.
  11. Kung

Kung Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Club:
    Hammarby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Well many people say that France could win the entire thing and we did score 8 more goals then them in the same group.
    (I'm well aware of that France is better then us, but still).

Berg and Toivonen are doing alright in the national team and Berg do score goals in his club team.
    Kiese Thelin have scored most goals in the Belgium league, even thought he is usally bad in the NT and Guidetti seem to get a new start in La liga.
    What we lack is a central midfielder that know how to hold the ball which we lack due to injuries. That's why our strikes didn't get that much to work with during the friendly games.

Our best one is Albin Ekdal who would play for a better club then Hamburg if he wasn't injured 90 percent of the time. The second choice was Jacob Johansson (the guy that scored against Italy) but he recieved a cruciate ligament injury in the second playoff match.
    The third person is Gustav Svensson that plays in MLS...

A guy that would have a better impact then Zlatan is presumbly Pontus Wernbloom that can hold the ball. He quit the NT but is just 31 years old and do play for CSKA Moscow and is an important player for them. Would be a huge boost for the squad since we do need that type of player.

IASocFan and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.