How do you track added time?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Soccer Dad & Ref, Oct 11, 2018.

1. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    No--there's no reason you couldn't be adding time during added time, especially if you had a long stoppage during the game. And having it incorrectly think it is halftime would be worse than thinking that you were doing more stoppage.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watches should allow manual overrides. I hope this doesn't happen much, but what if a referee expects a 90 minute game and discovers during the game that it's an 80 minute game like some youth games are? It's like college computers not letting students register if they haven't satisfied prerequisites but advisors being able to override the prerequisites to register students.

3. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Ask who? This would be one of the most heavily used fields by our local club for U11 and U12 games. It gets repainted often but by someone in the local school district who doesn't know what they're doing. They frequently forget things like penalty spots and corner kick arcs and distance marks. The center circle and PK arc should have been 8 yards on this field per the local ROC but they were 10. Another of our U11/U12 fields under the jurisdiction of the city parks department has a center circle that always gets painted with an 8 yard diameter. You have to back the kids up to a reasonable distance on every kickoff.

4. Sam_C

Sam_C Member

Manchester City
    Brazil
    Jun 19, 2018
    With location tracking and always on display I average ~20% battery drain per 45m half, so for shorter youth games, you get 2 games in worry-free. I generally only use location tracking for my center(s) so that I have plenty of battery when it matters and then switch it off as an AR.

5. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Hmm. I would think the ref would confirm the length of the game before kick off if there was any possible doubt.

But it's not really a big deal. If you stop at 40 you either reset the watch and time the second half separately, or you let it keep running to 45 and know that was the first 45 minutes of halftime.

6. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Re the Garmin: If fully charged I can do two 90 minute games with GPS with no problem.

7. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    You're absolutely right.

8. Sam_C

Sam_C Member

Manchester City
    Brazil
    Jun 19, 2018
    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you are saying, but it would be incredibly naive to believe that nothing malicious happens behind the CRs back during a game.

It's the elusive third game that I desire from one of these enhanced watches ;) Does the Garmin get you through 3+ or is it limited to 2 'safe' games like the Ticwatch?

9. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is usually what I get out of my vivioactive as well. although last night in my 2 matches I noticed that I couldn't feel the vibration (due to my skin being frozen I presume) and that I started at 100% before my two matches and was at 46% at the end of the second match, I usually am about 60% remaining after 2 matches, but again I think the cold drained my battery faster.

FYI it also tracks infor like this:

[​IMG]

10. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    @EvanJ must be a nice guy! A agree, as you get to higher levels, there are absolutely players that actively pull ^%^$% where they think the ref can't see. (But I don't see the value of the watch on this--as AR I can write quickly and there is a reason we have TLC.)
    I haven't done three 90 min games with it. I would not trust it with GPS on all three, but would be confident with GPS on two that I could still use it for all three.

11. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Same here ... yes (mostly) for two 90-minute games with my Vivoactive; no way for three.

But I wear two watches and carry three more.

12. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my experience any dedicated GPS watch, like Garmin or Polar, will last anywhere from 6 to 18 hours with GPS on. Any smartwatch, be it WearOS or Apple will last about 4 hours. There are some exeptions like the Polar M600 or Mission watches, but those are either very expensive or not very attractive.

13. Sam_C

Sam_C Member

Manchester City
    Brazil
    Jun 19, 2018
    If I lived in SoCal I wouldn't have a reason; this time of year in Massachusetts there are some games where it's so cold and/or wet that my fine motor skills disappear and writing becomes very difficult, but hitting a couple buttons is much easier (having Raynaud's doesn't help).

socal lurker repped this.
  14. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    I wear 2 watches - both from Walmart, costing $10 and $15 respectively. No GPS or extended time or buzzing when I pause. But I don't have to worry about a 3rd game. I just

Now, I am very frugal (or, as my wife says, a cheap bastard). I would love to get some of these added features. Just doing a quick google shows the Garmins and smartwatches (new) cost at least $200 and many are way more. Not sure if that is worth it to me.

And you have 5 of them!!!

15. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would hope that the person who scheduled the league would know what the fields were like. Frequent repainting is something I didn't think of.

Thank you. To Sam_C's point, I know that malicious things happen that referees don't see, but I was asking about malicious things being done by players noticing that the referees won't see it rather than players just getting lucky (if you want to call it that) that the referees didn't see. While the referee is talking to a player, should ARs keep an eye on other players?

16. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Abso-f'ing-lutely.

voiceoflg, GearRef, socal lurker and 2 others repped this.
  17. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    p.s. Sorry. A slightly longer version of that answer would be: Yes indeed, a significant portion of the ARs' responsibility (once they progress past the stay-with-the-second-to-last-defender stage) is to keep an eye on what's going on outside the referee's field of vision and attention.

roby and Sam_C repped this.
  18. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like others have said. refurbished or "pre owned" are pretty cheap. I got mine for under $100 and I use it daily and have been using it for over two years now. I got the one with the heart rate monitor cause I think it is cool to watch it go up and down during a match.

take a google search:
    https://www.ebay.com/p/Garmin-Vivoa...L/2164371821?iid=263507553268&chn=ps&thm=3000

19. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Well, three of them are Walmart specials too that I carry mostly to give to young referees who show up without one, but they also serve as emergency backups to my other two. And one is my old beloved Casio ref watch that I am still nursing along, just barely. I think I paid $35 for it about 12 years ago. The Garmin GPS is a bottom-of-the-line Vivoactive that I got on Amazon for no more than 100 bucks, and it works great.

20. Sam_C

Sam_C Member

Manchester City
    Brazil
    Jun 19, 2018
    The Ticwatch E is generally considered to be the best 'budget' smartwatch; mine was $110 new in box with prime shipping during a deal of the day.

21. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    I have a garmin 230 that I bough used on eBay for $100. You can still find them even though they are discontinued. Works great with the referee app. Battery life is easily good for three full games with gps on, but it may be it’s better because it does not have hr monitoring.

22. 65GT350

65GT350 Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I used to wear two watches (Timex IronMan $15 closeouts) one that counts up and one that counts down. I stop and start the one that counts down so that when the buzzer went off the game was over. Nothing is more frustrating to a player than to hear the referees watch go off and then have two more minutes. The one that counts up is backup in case I forgot to restart.

I too am pretty frugal but the VivoActive3 and Referee Watch app from Winder has made doing the games fun. Seeing how much distance I can cover along with the ability to see the coverage overlay on the field (make sure you turn off GPS at halftime so you don't see the trip to the bathroom) has been useful in motivating me during the game to get deeper and wider.

The watch and app is a tax write off as far as I am concerned so it made sense to invest in a piece of equipment that I enjoy using.

23. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Always seems like it’s the winning team that goes down in added time, doesn’t it?

When stuff happens in injury time, whether it’s misconduct or injury (subs not so much) I always add the literal time it takes to restart to the added time, and I make it clear to everyone that’s what I’m doing. That way the losing team doesn’t get mad and try to pick up an injured opponent or rush them off, and if they are slightly injured they realize there’s no benefit to milking it.

24. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    We knew what you meant the first time.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  25. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    If you're talking about the app I posted a screenshot of upthread, there's a config in the settings to automatically do just that.