How do you take your penalty kicks?

Discussion in 'Player' started by jtowns3, Jun 25, 2004.

1. slipnslide

slipnslide New Member

May 23, 2004
    SecretCity,Tennessee
    I just tell myself that I'm going to make it, because for me, the most important thing is to have the confidence.

2. PSsoccer123

PSsoccer123 New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    I stare at one side of the goal for a while and then just place it in the bottom corner of the other side. The goalie always dives the other way haha.

3. riceburner3508

riceburner3508 New Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Maryland, USA
  4. LeslieSantosfan

LeslieSantosfan New Member

Jul 22, 2004
    I miss, or my shot get saved.

I just am not born with PK talent... :(

5. arcticduane

arcticduane Member

May 1, 2004
    Bradford, England
    Took one recently in a final for my skool team and it was horrible. I was gonna sidefoot it into the bottom right corner but last minute i wanted to dink it. It tured out to bend towards the bottom right corner then towads the centre. The keepr dived left and saved it with his feet. BTW it was one of the slowest PKs ever. It didnt matter though because we won :D. This added our fourth trophy of the season. Now i just smash my penalties into the roof of the net. BTW my record for all teams is 17 scored 1 miss.

6. C. Ronaldo7

C. Ronaldo7 New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Maryland
    I just concentrate on faking the keeper.

7. iviagical

iviagical New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    corny but true :p

8. Renegades

Renegades New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Roanoke, Va
    One thing thats always helped me, and something that my highschool coach has taugh me is - as your walking back from teeing up the ball, close your eyes, and pick a spot in the net and invision the ball going in that same spot 3 times. Turn around, and take your shot. Its worked for me so much, and its pretty relaxing - keeps your mind off of shanking the shot or any worst nightmares. heh

9. goalhappy27

goalhappy27 New Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Oregon USA
    i get pretty far back and to the right of the ball quite a bit....i go as fast as i can up to the ball always looking towards the left bottom corner...and then i hit it with the outside of my right foot..which makes it curve to the right..but sometimes i accidentaly hit it with my laces but it doesnt matter cuz it goes top left corner with a lot of speed

10. Gascoigne11

Gascoigne11 New Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Virginia, USA
    well, I consider myself a master from 12 yards and any goalkeeper that has come up against me can vouch for that.

One of my techniques (I used this when I first started out) was to give myself a very long run-up and sprint all the way to the ball, then striking it with the inside of my boot to the corner right of the GK. That technique is good if you are nervous or a wuss bcuz u dont have to think about the kick just kick it.

The technique I use now is basic but incredibly effective. I usually hit it with the inside of my foot to the side netting of either side. Going low is more effective than high. There are things you can do in the run-up besides stomping and stuttering which can be illegal if u go too far. You can start sprinting towards the ball and then slow down to a walk. It makes the goalkeeper think about it just enough to lose his concentration on the kick.

Others include running from your opposite kicking side (if you are right footed line up like you are left footed) and hit it side footed into the corner with your good foot. Hard to explain, easy to do.

11. redalert101

redalert101 New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Streets of Florida
    actually on that bbc website it says that a goalkeeper statistically has a better cahance of blocking it when its low inside the post than upper 90

12. Nutmeg_23

Nutmeg_23 Member

Jul 20, 2004
    mine works too well, i cant share my secret! lol :D

13. CoachCoach

CoachCoach New Member

Jul 18, 2004
    USA
    The penalty shot should be converted 85%-90% of the time. That being the case, there doesn't seem much need to try to re-invent the kick or jazz it up. Hitting it with the outside of the shoe is just begging for something to go wrong.

I like the simple and repetative approach. Take a few steps back and create a little angle for yourself. Line yourself up with the post you will shoot at. (righties shoot to the right and lefts go left post) Take a slow approach to the ball and then hit it with the instep. If you practice this, you will notice that kicking with the instep will cause the ball to slightly curl inside the post. Therefore, all you have to do is aim for 6 inches inside the post, and then in your head realize that if you hit it decent, the ball will curl 1-2 feet inside the post. Only a goalie knowing where you go, or guessing will have any chance of stopping it. You will almost never miss the goal with this shot. Very good approach for a high percentage shot like a PK.

14. m!n!mullett

m!n!mullett New Member

Aug 26, 2004
    doncaster
    i ru up to the ball shimmy a bit then side foot into side nettin so kepper has hardly any chance:) ;)