how do you become a mod? ^_^

Discussion in 'Equipment and Gear Off Topic' started by illdthedj, Oct 12, 2009.

1. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how does one become a moderator here? just curious :D

i am a responsible adult out of college, know a good amount about boots, am quite a boot whore, and spend way too much time on here lol

also....i notice the boot forum mods arn't around as much anymore. perhaps i could help out....

just thought id ask ;p

2. Skizz

Skizz Guest

The moderators are around, we just tend to take a hands-off approach to moderation and rely on posters telling us when they feel other users have stepped out of line. Deleting every other post kills the flow of the forum and it's pointless to remove every little thing unless it's really getting on the nerves of the regulars.

To answer your question, when a moderator vacancy becomes available, we advertise it. People then put themselves forward for it, and inevitably those who do not want the job recommend others who they feel would be good for the position. A shortlist is then drawn up and the users are asked to submit a formal moderator application to the SuperModerators.

Once they are vetted and checked for lack of mental-ness and egotistical power-trip-itis, the SuperMods then suggest to the moderators who they feel would be good for the position out of the submitted shortlist. From there, it is decided who the new moderator will be, they are offered the position, and that's pretty much it.

We are not actively seeking new moderators - we only really needed three before and now that I am sort of back we now have four covering all time zones - Johnny and ctoa are on American time, with apps and myself on UK time so we are covered. If a position were to come up you would be welcome to submit an application, but BigSoccer generally has a policy of not awarding moderator positions to those who have been members for less than 18 months - however again you would be welcome to apply should a position come up.

3. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    right on, just curious. just havn't seen ctoa or applecore around in a while, thought perhaps they were AWOL.

ps any word on reorganizing the swapshop like ctoa talked about? ie. making subforums based on sizes? i think it would really help organize things in there. that way people looking for a specific sized boot wouldn't have to wade thru a ton of posts to find what they are looking for. also, it would prevent the constant bumping of listings off the first page after a day or so.

4. Skizz

Skizz Guest

I don't personally think it will stop the bumping. If anything you'll have a smaller forum with the same people bumping threads all the time, so those who do follow the rules would have less chance of selling their stuff fairly.

Either way, I don't think that the SuperMods went for the idea. I've said before that I would prefer to leave it as it is, and I think they were the same. I had to campaign pretty hard to get the SwapShop setup as it is, and I don't think they want to reorganise it again.

By the way apps has been away from her PC for a while, not too sure about ctoa.

5. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've been here ;)

I tend to check the forums everyday just don't see the need for me to post everyday. If everything is running smoothly. You don't see me! haha, but I am around. Sadly, we do have lives though which means we can't be on here 24/7. As Skizz said, we rely on users telling us if they have a problem. I tend to check every thread daily to make sure its not going off topic or posters aren't being abusive.

But again, as skizz said, if we moderated the board 'properly' we'd be deleting replies left right and centre, as well as editing replies due to multipule picture posts as well PLUS, we would be giving out a hell of a lot red/yellow cards if we were really that strict!!

appleCORR

6. mercurialsl

mercurialsl New Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Sydney, Aus
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    so to become a mod you have to wait for the position to become avaliable...btw i highly recommend that illdthdj should be considered for the job :)

7. C-dub57

C-dub57 Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Iowa
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so Skizz, how's retirement from modding ;)

8. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Great, I'm like a pimp - the game just keeps callin'... :p

9. bangde92

bangde92 New Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Club:
    AD Carmelita
    Great! Thanks for sharing this.

10. basicgame

basicgame New Member

Aug 21, 2010