How do you allow God Save the Queen to be sung ?

Discussion in 'Ireland: NSR' started by Badattitude, Mar 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badattitude

Badattitude New Member

May 31, 2003
    in Ireland? how? why is there any forgiveness when England still holds 17% of the Island - illegally.
    Disgusted me.

2. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Have they never had it at a match in Ireland before? Surely they have, they play national anthems before every game, as a rule I believe. Now, in Croke Park...that may be a bit of a different question after what happened 87 years ago, but nonetheless, its an international match, where both anthems get played

3. Badattitude

Badattitude New Member

May 31, 2003
    87 years is nothing in historical terms - IMO, that match should not have been played there.

4. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    87 years ago the English went into Croke Park and shot the place up like the ********ing savages they were...I thought you were referring to that

5. Badattitude

Badattitude New Member

May 31, 2003
    I was...and what I mean is, 87 years is a short time ago IMO and not enough time to forgive that sh!t ...

6. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Shame, then that the government, the GAA, the IRFU and the vast majority of the population of Ireland don't agree with your position. Mind you, that's a bit cheeky, seeing as they only live there and all.

But if it'll charm your angry heart, perhaps you should know that Ruairí Ó Brádaigh and his RSF cohorts had a huge march to express outrage on behalf of the people of Ireland. The Gardai (Irish police) said they had no problems with the 25 people who showed up.

But what'll not soothe you troubled brow is the further fact that this was not the first time God Save The Queen was sung in Croke Park, nor the first time that the Union Jack flew high there. But you knew that, right? Or if you didn't, it couldn't be that you're only jumping on the bandwagon of selective outrage, now could it?

7. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    It's called moving on. Anthems are part and parcel of international matches. Deal with it.

8. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    Well said.

9. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    While I am against the occupation personally, to say that it's illegal is pushing the boat out.

Ireland's call should be banned however.

10. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Welcome to 2007.

11. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    What a fantastic thread.

12. Badattitude

Badattitude New Member

May 31, 2003
    England occupies 17% of an island that it has no business occupying...the crimes against humanity that their gov't committed is disgraceful and should never be forgotten or seen as "moving on"
    And lets not act as if the ROI have forgotten about it or accept any of that crap....lets recall the riots in Dublin not too long ago...memories run deep.
    I was in Dublin to see the Wolftones not too long ago - feelings of disgust are still the majority.

13. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Bollocks......:rolleyes:

14. Badattitude

Badattitude New Member

May 31, 2003
  15. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    If it'll help. :rolleyes: (Not that it did the first time, as you avoided it.......)

Oh, BTW, bollocks again........:rolleyes:

16. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    At a Wolfe Tones gig? I think you might want to find a more representative cross-section of the population before jumping to conclusions like that. I wouldn't usually place too much faith in an internet straw poll, but judging from this thread so far you're in a minority of one. 'The ROI' has better things to do than sit in a corner grumbling about those pesky English dastards.

As a southerner living in Belfast, take it from me - it's the kind of people who go to Wolfe Tones shows to get irate about the English who have been holding back progress for so long. Whether you mean English or British is another thing entirely.

How apt that this thread was started on the day the North regained devolution. (And doubly coincidentally, given the post quoted, I'm just about to start writing a paper on the Love Ulster parade from a social identity framework perspective).

17. Badattitude

Badattitude New Member

May 31, 2003
    It'd be great to see the new agreement as of today work well...and then become a United Ireland...

To say people in the South/ROI aren't still unhappy that Ireland is not a nation once again is incorrect...maybe they don't stew in a corner, however if you asked each and every one, I'd bet most would tell you that NI should not be British - would you agree? What in fact is your feeling?

18. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Based on what? Your attendance at one Wolfe Tones gig? Or the fact that you parachuted into to Ireland for a week and found a way to fix everything?

19. Badattitude

Badattitude New Member

May 31, 2003
    Have you ever been to a bar in Ireland when Celtic are playing? Who are they saying up to? Oh ahh up the ___??? hmmmmm

20. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Well that settles it then, I guess. :rolleyes:

Must remember to get on to the government, the FAI, IRFU and most other people and tell them they're wrong. *Note to self - add to To Do list.*

Needless to say you still haven't bothered to answer the question about GSTQ and the Union Jack in Croke Park, Lansdowne Road, the RDS, Dalymount or indeed in countless other venues around Ireland for the last many, many years.......
    Oh, BTW, bollocks again.......

21. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    My feeling is that a United Ireland as commonly described is a completely unworkable goal. People clamour for it as some sort of idealised far-off Utopia, while ignoring the fact that if in time the balance of opinion in the North shifts those extra few percentage points from unionist to nationalist and N.I. is merged with the South, it doesn't solve anything. You've just reversed the problem. Now the unionists are unhappy at having the contact with what they see as their motherland broken, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see loyalist paramilitaries dusting off their old combat boots.

And that's without factoring in the economic, cultural, educational and administrative disruptions. Can you tell me how you would work it?

22. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Yeah, I can't remember the number of times I've heard the catch cry Ulster is English!! ;)

He doesn't need to - he's been in bars when Celtic have been playing....

23. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I think he means English because he has not yet complained about the Welsh anthem being played on Saturday. Otherwise I'm not educated enough on the subject to really speak on it (perhaps because I have never been in a bar while Celtic is playing?)

24. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    :)

What I mean is that the English aren't 'occupying' N.I. - it's the British governement that are in charge. Similarly, the Union Jack isn't the English flag, it's the British one. Unionists don't see themselves as English, they see themselves as British.

25. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Ulster is English!