How did it become tredy to be from Sweden?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Own Goal Hat-Trick, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    Another band is apparently from Sweden. these guys, called Blindside, were on Conan.

and for swedes, they have EXCELLENT american accents. i also checked around, and the most i could find, besides them being labeled as a swedish band was that they are from stockholm. interestingly enough, i couldnt find any of thier last names, or ANY swedish on thier website. youd think a band from sweden would have a bilingual website, wouldnt you?

so why is it so trendy to say that youre band is from sweden?

2. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When has it ever been NOT trendy to be from Sweden????

Sex, alcohol, suicide - it just doesn't get any more rock n' roll than that.

Swedish bands tend to rock because they take the best of American rock and British pop sensibilities and mix them up into one tasty meatb....er....morsel.

3. dearprudence

dearprudence Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Chi-town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just an evil plot, fabricated by the evil genuises at IKEA.

4. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Most Swedes speak English quite well as they are taught from a young age. Had alot of Swedish students at my college.

5. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    i know. swedes love speaking english, theyd always want to speak in english when i was talking to them over there so they could practice.

but they have accents. and not american accents. which is my entire point.

6. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    In 1973 when Bjorn, Benny, Angetha & Frida invaded the music industry, the floodgates thrusted open.

7. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    From what I understand, Swedish doesn't sound good when put to a disco beat.

Thank heavens for A-Ha and Roxette.

8. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always thought the Swedish chef from the Muppets was cool.

[​IMG]

9. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they do American well because of all that imported American TV played in the original English on their channels.

10. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    i dont remember any imported american TV when i was over there. there was danish tv. and swedish tv. and i think some norwegian ************. but no american tv. although they might have had a few english shows, if im not mistaken...

11. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Off topic: if you get a chance, go to IKEA and try their meatball with lodenberry sauce.

12. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a prime example of why Sweden is cool:

[​IMG]

13. SportBoy321

SportBoy321 New Member

Jul 6, 2002
    New England
    The best heavy metal bands in the world are from Sweden. I'm listening to In Flames and Soilwork right now and they kick ass!

14. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American iranian sweedes are the coolest.

15. jmh30

jmh30 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bork bork bork! :D

16. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    Why would you leave a country full of Swedish women? That seems decidedly uncool to me.

17. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bork bork bork.

18. dearprudence

dearprudence Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Chi-town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    My daughter spent last semester there studying Swedish culture and language.

She said the teacher was lazy, started class late took double lunches, and ended class at least 15 minutes early, and was a bad teacher in general.

Everyone spoke English so it was hard to pick up the language. They did not want to speak Swedish only English.

On the flip side the people there in general were fantastic. The place where she stayed was a great a Villa near the ocean with sauna, and a boat that she could use to sail. She knows how to sail.

Plus they are heavily into soccer as she is.

So it did not help much with picking up the language, but it was a good experience.

She is now in Germany where she has spent a lot of time in the last couple of years. She loves Germany and speaks that language fluently.

Richie

20. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first time I ever saw Friends was in Sweden. Maybe the hotel had better cable than your apartment.