How did Americans follow the Premier League in the 80s-90s-early 2000s?

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by bmbersoccer5, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Sykotyk

Sykotyk Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never realized the games not on TV were online available for free through Live Extra.

2. Fostercluck

Fostercluck New Member

May 4, 2016
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    I was lucky that as a kid (early/mid 80s) my local newspaper (Kansas City Star) usually had results and standings in the Sunday paper. It's partially responsible for me picking the club I did. Around the same time my grandmother had given me a handwritten book of our family lineage and had Norwich right there on page one. So I opened the paper one day, saw Norwich in the table, and said to myself "that must be my team."

Now when the club is up it's not hard to follow thanks to NBC's TV deal. But last season (and probably next, though I've not given up all hope just yet) was a PITA. Fortunately I have a friend who streams the radio broadcast for most games. The guys calling the games are homers to be sure (the color-man position rotates among a dozen or so former players from week to week), but to be fair they're actually pretty balanced.

But beyond that the club and their supporters have a reasonably decent online presence, so news isn't hard to get. I do tend to stay off the handful or so forums though. Plenty of info, but the signal-noise ratio makes you work too hard for it.

The one area where the club is weak is in their handling supporter groups. Big clubs tend have their act together here, but Norwich doesn't know what to do. I founded and run a supporter group for Texas (the Lone Star Canaries have about a dozen members, mostly ex-pats), and we're officially recognized by the club. Unfortunately, all this gets us is an email once a year saying that Global Canaries Day is in a month, and let them know if we're coming to be on the pitch for the halftime parade. But a month isn't enough time to plan something like that if you're coming in from abroad. It also is at different times of the season from year to year, so "expecting it in March" isn't a possibility. Additionally, the club doesn't list their supporter groups, so if you're looking, you have to hope your Google skills are up to the task. What the club does have is a Social Club that meets once a month, in Norwich. I've tried to engage the club on this stuff... get them to think about what the club should expect from the supporter group, what the supporter group can expect from the club, rules, policies, etc... but they can't be bothered. I guess it's just one more thing that makes wee little Norwich, wee little Norwich.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. KennyDalglish

KennyDalglish Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Good question. I started living in America post the millennium. Before that, (late 80s and 90s) it was multiple countries and following based on what was available. Kind of sounds very old school but listening on bbc radio was something that I actually did in the early 90s. I never had problem watching Uefa knockout matches on tv regardless of which country I was in.

4. legendofzola

legendofzola Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Cape Breton
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We had a Saturday program in Canada called "Soccer Saturday" which would give highlights from the week before of all the major Euro Leagues as well as the scores from the week before and some live scores. I watched this through the early 90's and it was hosted by Graham Leggatt. I used the English newspapers while going to university and when we were able to get our hands on direct Tv I watched the program you speak of above. I looked forward to every Sunday evening to get that 1 hour premier league highlight pack. Coverage grew exponentially from there to the point we see more premier league football than many people do in Britain and Ireland. They get the games but there is a great deal of pay per view . It is fascinating to see how far we've come.

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about pay per view, but the Saturday 3:00 local/10:00 A.M. USA Eastern games are not on TV in England. That's about half of the weekend games and maybe 40 percent of all the games including midweek matchdays. I'm talking about the Premier League only, not lower levels or cups.

6. legendofzola

legendofzola Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Cape Breton
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We don't know how good we have it!

7. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm 61. my son started playing this game in 86. i had seen Mexican league play in the 70's. But seeing games on ESPN, champions league, in late 80's and early 90's was great. I enjoyed Ajax at the time, but then I saw Dennis, who I had seen in the WC, with Arsenal and I was hooked. Arsenal in the 90's was great. Not really English footy, but very enjoyable. Oddly enough my son reminded me of DB. Maybe it was us watching all those games.