How can this happen?

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by shizzle787, Jul 25, 2016.

1. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are only 6 clubs in the Armenian league. It looks as if four of them will get to play in Europe next year. I thought you needed 7 clubs minimum to have a league. Are UEFA giving them an exception? If so, why do they get to keep 3 Europe League berths?

unclesox repped this.
  2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    In 2015-16 the league began with 8 clubs.

In February 2016 Ulisses FC dissolved, leaving 7 clubs for the remainder of the season.

When the 7-team league ended in May '16, three clubs qualified for Europe via the league table.
    A fourth club qualified for Europe as winners of the Armenian Cup.

After the season ended, FC Mika dissolved, leaving the current six clubs for the 2016-17 season.

I don't see an issue. The clubs qualified for Europe during the 7+ league campaign.

But I would guess that unless a seventh club is added for the domestic 2016-17 league season Armenia will not have any representation in Europe for 2017-18... except perhaps the winner of the Armenian Cup (?)

I should add that I'm going on the assumption that you are correct in that UEFA requires a minimum 7 clubs to be recognized as a league because I honestly never knew about that (I learn something new everyday :)).

3. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 7-club rule is why Liechtenstein doesn't have a league (they do have 7 clubs, but didn't when national leagues became normal across Europe) and why Gibraltar expanded their league from 6 to 8 clubs when joining UEFA.