How big did the 2011 USA-BRA game make impact?

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Slowpokeking, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The USWNT were in a bad shape, they were beaten by Mexico in the qualifier and had to go with the playoff to get into the WWC, got beaten by Sweden in the groupstage and had to face Brazil right way.

It was Marta's last tournament as a superstar, pretty much her last chance to win a title as well. The USWNT scored in the 121th min to tie the game and win the shootouts, then was so close to win the trophy back.

To me that's the game that made me love women's soccer, and I feel that the match had reignited the fire in the US audience.

McSkillz repped this.
  2. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like the USWNT had a dark age period between the time the 99ers retired in 2004 and the 2011 match with Brazil. We hardcore USWNT followers were here always of course but the USWNT at that point in time certainly hadn't captured the American public for many years until the quarter-finals with Brazil.

3. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Too bad Pia didn't learn the lesson from this match, not to use Buehler but start Sauerbrunn, we would have won the title that time.

McSkillz and EbaJones repped this.
  4. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    It took a long time for the next core of legends to emerge, other than Wambach. The Brazil game riveted attention, but the Germany and Japan games four years later on the bookends of a July 4 weekend sent the team's public posture upward like it had not happened in years.

Had Wambach not scored against Brazil, though, it is possible that the trajectory of '15 would not have been achieved.

McSkillz repped this.
  5. EbaJones

EbaJones Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Club:
    FFC Frankfurt
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. They played one down for so long one down, the final drive to tie was pure USA -- an interception by Krieger pass to an in stride Lloyd, she diagonally running across the field then passes to Rapinoe, cross to Wambach - score! Then the penallty kicks - Boxx, Lloyd, Wambach, SAVE BY SOLO, Rapinoe & Krieger - all perfect. I believe that set the stage for 2015 with Lloyd, Solo, Rapinoe & Krieger as key players on the team and Boxx and Wambach the last hurrah veterans.

6. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That win was huge coming off the 2007 disaster.

Personally I remember being in Augsburg to watch the Sweden v Australia match. We anticipated winning our group which we didn’t so were not in Dresden.

During the USA Brazil match thunderstorms rolled into the fan center and it got crazy. Then the sky cleared Wambach scored and we headed to PKs. My memory is a bit hazy after that but I remember running like a mad man through the streets that night.

CoachJon and Slowpokeking repped this.
  7. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Why is 2007 such a disaster? US has the strength but was ruined by lockerroom drama.