Review: How Argentina exposed the US's achilles heel

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Susaeta, Jun 23, 2016.

1. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Our players aren't as good or good enough" is different from "our players suck".

I'm not admitting defeat by suggesting the Raiders won't win the Super Bowl. It's reality. As fans we just tune in for the entertainment. That's all sports is. Entertainment.

In the end, whether you pretend we have a world class player pool or acknowledge it's quite a bit short of that, it has little bearing on what happens out there. There's a reason the Final tomorrow is Arg/Chile and it has nothing to do with fans of all the other Copa participants admitting or not admitting defeat.

TheHoustonHoyaFan and swedust repped this.
  2. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or at least put players in whose strengths complement one another. We had players in against Argentina who exacerbated each other's weaknesses and neutralized each other's strengths, and that seems to happen on a regular basis lately whether we're underdogs or not.

3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

How'd they do?

Did they get to any semi's?

4. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, 1995.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    In the 1995 run in Uruguay we beat Chile 2-1 with Wynalda goals (that Chile was local-based though, the '90s were the dark ages of the Copa America with most teams sending B-squads). Then lost to Bolivia 1-0 (the Bolivia of Etcheverry), and beat Argentina 3-0 (that was a decent Argentina, with Batistuta, Gallardo, Ayala, and Burrito Ortega and Simeone coming in as subs).

The 3-0 win against Argentina in Uruguay, an Argentina with several A-players, tops by far anything we've achieved this tournament, to be honest.

After that, we won the group and made the QFs where we beat Mexico in penalties (a local-based Mexico, with Jorge Campos, Garcia Aspe, Ambriz, etc. --truth is Mexico didn't have players in Europe at that point; Hugo Sanchez was back in the Mexican league, but he was already in decline and wasn't called).

In semis, we lost 1-0 to Brazil, that had also taken mostly an alternative team but had just beaten Argentina in penalties, and fielded against us Dunga, Roberto Carlos, Aldair, Edmundo, and the original Juninho). Brazil scored early and we actually possessed more of the ball than they did, and were close to tying it up late.

So yes, overall, considering where it was played and the rivals on the field, I'd put that achievement as above this one.

BTW, then we lost the third place match to Colombia 4-1. Asprilla, Rincon, Pibe Valderrama, scored. We looked done.

6. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

7. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what is there to lose??????????

JK might be forced to abandon his "buddies" bradley and jones??????

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    As I said, all for trying all sort of "stuff" and as I've said I have not followed Benny's recent club career that closely, but I was very high on him when I saw him at UCLA, with the U-20s and again after Toulon back in the day (and I always thought he could play a grown up Bobby Brady in the adult musical revival.) but I'm not convinced he's an upgrade over what we have - I haven't been blown away by very many of his outings. Think he might be this crop's Jovan Kirovski. But I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

The rest of that line-up concerns me a bit on defense, but hey, let's schedule a bunch of friendlies and give a whirl.

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  9. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Bradley gets a free header on a weak clearance, standing alone, with Jones or Bedoya 10 ish yards ahead of him in the Colombia half.

Doink! Off to the side. Colombia wins it.

Like I said, accurate heading is one of our biggest weaknesses.

cnaw repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Bradley's work rate is still top notch, but his accuracy is inversely proportional to the importance of the game.

11. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    We essentially started the match down 2 men, a circumstance which renders untenable any sweeping conclusions about the US style or Achilles heel.

There were plenty of minutes in we played our opponents 11 aside. More realistic conclusions can be drawn from those minutes.

13. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I cannot handle the stupidity in the first 90 seconds here.

14. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Two idiots. Why does anyone care what either of these dopes say?

Mahtzo1 and Ironbound repped this.
  15. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Because they're on TV.

16. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    That's Colin and the other guy proving that they don't know crap. 1) Colin saying we don't criticize our players. He's clearly never been on a soccer bulletin board in his life. 2) they are touting academies as the solution. I guaranteeeeeeeeeeeeee that neither of them knows that a difference between the U.S. and the rest of the world is that U.S. law does not allow a minor to be committed to a club. Guarantee it. 3) the "U.S. soccer players only come from the suburbs" is a trope from 20-30 years ago.

I can't believe he didn't mention orange slices.

Finally, just hang tight. The U.S. has experienced a massive wave of immigration in the past 10-15 years. Those kids are bringing soccer with them. Go to poor apartment complexes anywhere in the U.S., you'll see kids kicking the ball around. Soccer is becoming part of the underclass culture.

Geneva repped this.
  17. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    This is a palpable advantage for us when Gyasi is playing outside mid. He wins a lot of "free balls" (as they say in volleyball) in the midfield. (I watch a "football en 60" on a Spanish language channel. They were calling him "Gyasinho." I thought that was cute).

Geneva repped this.
  18. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The US has had massive waves of immigration for basically its entire history.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  19. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    repped & quoted for emphasis because this distinction is often lost here on BS (myself included).

20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Asking for an improved performance isn't the same as demanding victory over a top 5 team. The distinction often gets lost in BS.

Mahtzo1 and 6 ft. Leprechaun repped this.
  21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    They bunkered like crazy against Greece. CRC was extremely negative after the Uruguay game. They knew they had their 3 points and then played not to loose.

Lots of fouls. Few shots. Two lines behind the ball. They played for PKs knowing they had an awesome keeper. It was some of the most intentionally ugly soccer I'd seen them play in a long time.

Marko72 repped this.
  22. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not even going to read any of this thread because you nailed it (and my first thought when I saw the title was, "US' achilles? What a dumb title, who hasn't found it? (Argentina, Colombia, Germany, Belgium, Mexico, etc)."

The lack of movement was shocking and most pronounced against Argentina, imo. It's probably too subjective, but to me the team looked like they didn't even feel like bothering on making smart, short runs because they figured they'd lose anyway. They looked almost entirely bereft of confidence (perhaps Beckerman and Wondo had something to do with it-- I would not be feeling good about avoiding Argentina's press and super technical skill and lumping it up to Wondo either)

Also absolutely agree with the point on tactical awareness. You see some great basketball and football players who credit soccer with their awareness-- sadly it doesn't seem to quite work the other way around. We can match anyone physically (even with this old ass lineup) and mentally, but we're not as good as the top teams and get frankly and promptly blown out. If we combined those traits (physical, "gritty") with some tactical awareness, we'd be able to give anyone a game. If we added superlative technique as well, well, then we're really cooking with gas.

I think we can win a WC with physical, mental, and tactical strengths. I think we definitely win one if/when we get technique on the same high level as well.

23. Matt Garrett

Matt Garrett New Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Not sure it was just an Achilles heel that lost the game, Argentina are just such a superior team. Maybe the USMNT needs a new coach to shake off the ball movement up as it was very poor.

24. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that's his Twitter handle. :)

RalleeMonkey repped this.