How are U-Littles set up in your league?

Discussion in 'Coach' started by equus, May 7, 2010.

1. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I reffed (using the word broadly) some U8 futsal games this week. One kid, in one swing of the foot, scored and sent his shoe flying in an arc so that it landed well after the ball had gone in the net. It was strangely beautiful.

jmnva and rca2 repped this.
  2. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Are the U-littles in your area going to play this year? (or no due to Coronavirus)

3. jmnva

jmnva Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    We didn't play in the spring. We are planning for a fall season but don't know for sure if it happen. It all depends on what phase we are in come August.

4. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Same here. I think the state association has us back to playing and training at this point. We're registering for fall season now. We will just have to see how things develop by the time we get to out mid-August training start.

5. Buckingham Badger

May 28, 2003
    I fully expect that our regular teams (U9 -U19) to have our seasons cancelled similar to what happened by our local baseball/softball clubs. For them the teams can still practice but to minimize the expectation of transmission games against other communities have been cancelled.

If that is what happens we will still be able to practice all ages so we would expect our littles to continue as well.

I am in charge of setting up a more formal program for our littles this year which will focus on Funino games mixed with some individual skills and fun games.
    We just had a board meeting tonight and we are planning on the idea that if our season gets cancelled but we can have practice we will set up an internal 3v3 leagues with multiple age groups to try and make it interesting.

6. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    We're moving ahead.

It helps to be in a region where people, you know, wear masks and stuff.

rca2 repped this.
  7. jmnva

jmnva Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    We still organize our rec program by grade.

This last year, we tweaked our kindergarten program to make it more consistent with our pre-k and pre-travel clinics.

We still created neighborhood based teams of up to 8 players with volunteer coaches. We created joint practice times where they put 8 or 9 teams together on the same field. Each team got a space that was roughly 30x20 which was plenty.

At the practices, all teams used a practice plan from the club and paid club staff were there to help coaches with the plan or to step in and teach something.

On game days, the volunteer coaches still ran the games as before but staff was there to help as needed.

I was skeptical of the program at 1st but I think it really did improve the experience for our players and families.

Beau Dure repped this.