Houston Dynamo v. Vancouver Whitecaps, Saturday, March 10

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Mar 5, 2018.

?

Result?

Poll closed Mar 10, 2018.
  1. Dynamo win

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Dynamo tie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dynamo lose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yikes! Kei Kamara and Brek Shea at the same time? I'm pretty sure that's a sign of the Apocalypse.

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Who: Houston Dynamo v. Vancouver Whitecaps
    When: Saturday, March 10 @ 5:00 pm CST
    Where: BBVA Compass Stadium; Houston, TX
    Records: Vancouver Whitecaps (1-0-0), fourth in West
    Houston Dynamo (1-0-0), first in West
    TV: KUBE-57, MLS Live
    Radio: 610 am, 1010 am (Spanish)

This is the second regular season game of the year for both teams. In 2017 the Dynamo and Whitecaps split the two games played. Each won at home 2-1. The Whitecaps have never won in Houston in five tries.

In their first league game of the year Vancouver defeated the Montreal Impact at home, 2-1, on March 4.

Vancouver finished 3rd in the West in 2017 with 52 points. They defeated San Jose in the first round of the playoff but where then eliminated by Seattle, 2-0 on aggregate, in the conference semifinals. They are now 2-2-1 scoring 8 goals and allowing 5 in their last five games including the playoffs. However, 5 of those 8 goals were scored in the one playoff game against San Jose. Vancouver was 6-9-2 in road league games last year. They next travel to Atlanta on March 17.

The Dynamo are now 2-2-1 in the last five games including the playoffs scoring 7 goals and allowing 6. Again, Houston scored most of those goals in the Atlanta game. The Dynamo have now not lost in the last 7 regular season games. Houston was 12-1-4 in home league games last year.

The next game for the Dynamo is at DC United on March 17, they will then take the FIFA break and be back in Houston against New England on March 31.

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Whitecaps @ Dynamo, all-time:

04/10/11 HOU 3-1 VAN
    03/23/13 HOU 2-1 VAN
    08/29/15 HOU 2-0 VAN
    07/23/16 HOU 0-0 VAN
    05/12/17 HOU 2-1 VAN

That's 4-0-1 with 9 goals scored and 3 allowed.

3. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vancouver -- just like your olympic hockey teams--- sucks!!

4. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Alphono Davies and Kei Kamara w blazing speed up front. Towering CB's in Waston and whoever. Pretty good outside back that we passed on in the draft.

5. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I see us winning the midfield but I really don't know what to expect in this game. Usually when there are a lot of goals scored one week in MLS, the next week coaches usually crack down on defense and play much more conservatively.

Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  6. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Home game, surely the team will come out in the same style and formation if not effort and adrenaline.

7. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    While the temperatures are mild, I expect Cabrera may gegenpress again with the fast forwards to force turnovers up high.

Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  8. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I just love the word 'Gegenpress'!

Heft repped this.
  9. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Cabezas will be out for a little while.

https://www.chron.com/sports/dynamo...n-David-Cabezas-expected-to-miss-12732017.php

The Dynamo have games on March 10 and 17 but then have a week off before the New England game on March 31.

10. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Weather forecast for Saturday.

At 5 pm:

77F
    76% humidity
    Wind 17 mph SSW
    Cloudy
    24% chance of rain

There are thunderstorms in the forecast for the morning and early afternoon but those should end by game time. By the end of game the rain chances are down in the single digits.

That forecast rain has moved earlier in the day as the week has went on but, as always, it could change again before Saturday.

11. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It looks like the thunderstorms will only be around on Saturday morning.
    The 5 o'clock forecast is now partly sunny, 80F, and 67% humidity.

12. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thinking we might get torched down the wings and they will have joy crossing the ball into the box. however, i see us being able to defend those crosses fairly responsibly. I'll be watching Garcia's positioning carefully as I think he might get picked on.

Will we continue to kill em on the counter attack or will we see the much talked about "plan b" that was worked on in preseason because we are forced to?

13. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I’ll have to miss this game and will watch it after I get home. Saturday is a rugby day, and the Dynamo have an early match.

14. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hydro repped this.
  15. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    The Dynamo don’t need me. All those El Salvador and Honduras fans on Facebook will fill up the stadium.

16. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait until I post pics of the empty seats today. This organization better realize they need everyone to buy tickets

17. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know why we aren't seeing Quioto start? He and Elis were a nasty two-headed attack together.

18. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quioto was sick most of preseason and this lineup worked up front last week

19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glenn must have been told to compliment Cindy Burbano on her information gathering skills, which appear non-existent

20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a penalty but a weak call most refs don’t make when no clear scoring chance

21. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    WAKANDA ELIS!

22. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Quioto doesn't start because while there were a nice play or two feeding Elis, that's all he did for 45 minutes. I would rather have had Manotas on the field.

23. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Why not play the ball to feet in the box. They just abandoned that, and that's about every chance that really worked.

Where was Steeves? Where was Boniek? I felt like we played into their hands on strategy, low percentage crosses, but if you're going to do it have a target man in there plus your best crosser. We're instead having wingbacks hit the ball into Wenger, Quioto, and Elis. And yes I know who was dressed and wasn't, and maybe I don't agree with that. This was the game that if you're content to hit crosses you throw on the big boy.

This particular game we just needed to be a fair amount more technical -- and I mean that in a personnel and not performance sense -- or a fair amount faster.

The first we half we showed character but ironically once Shea came in for the injury we got outcoached.

The defense, while ok, still ships too many goals. Wingback is an issue and I think we see again the folly of Senderos. Can't stay healthy enough to rely on.

24. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    the ref sucked - called a non penalty for Kamara Vancouver and failed to a clear penalty in the second half for Elis Dynamo.

vancouver is a clear mirror to Carl Robinson and his vision if a lower table English soccer team. lump it forward and use speedy wingers and wing backs with hulking centerforwards and centerbacks

Manotas and Wenger had clear chances in the first 15 munutes they failed to put in frame that would have set the game iff right.