Houston Dynamo v. Real Salt Lake, Saturday, March 2

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Feb 27, 2019.

?

Result?

Poll closed Mar 2, 2019.
  1. Dynamo win

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Dynamo tie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dynamo lose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Thunderstorms in the forecast? A 5 pm start allows a lot more time for lightning delays!

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    He looked half a step offside. Not a chance it would have been overturned. Has to be a clear and obvious mistake. It was so close, that whichever way it was called on the pitch would have stood.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  2. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Also, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

3. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    Off topic of the thread, but related to your comment about attendance and management.

I received the pre-sale e-mail about the Tigres match and clicked the link right away. My seats are in the end zone and those sections were blacked out on the online portal. I called the FO to request my usual seats and was told “that section is not going to be opened.” My seats are first level, fourth row. That section is not being opened?!?! OK, whatever. I took seats in a different section.

Later in the day a friend asked if I could get tickets near mine. I clicked on the original pre-sale link again just for the hell of it, and my season ticket section (where I couldn’t buy my usual seats first thing in the morning) was now sold out, except for three seats. The Online portal would not allow me to buy two and leave one seat dangling. Another call to the FO and I got two of those three and I assume the 3rd one will be empty.

Who runs this crap?!?! In any sort of business wouldn’t the logical very first step, be to ask STH if they want their seats?!?! Or if perhaps some sections HAD to be reserved for visiting fans. Simply explain that. Or something that makes sense? Not “That section isn’t going to be opened.” And then you find out later that it’s sold out? WTF?

I’ve had season tickets since the second season and I had to jump through hoops to buy tickets. They could not have made it more difficult if they had specifically tried to do so.

I go to the games for a variety of reasons, and I don’t even bitch TOO much about the “meh” personnel on the field. But this club management is fubar.

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  4. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    My observations from the $12 seats

Best performers of the match

Willis
    Figueroa
    Boniek

Worst
    Vera

OK
    Memo
    Hairston
    McNamara
    García
    Fuenmayor

Redeemed themselves
    Manotas
    Lundquist (made a miscue in a tackle on Rusnak in the box which allowed him space to shoot and score I believe)

Underperformed
    Quioto horrid crossing
    Elis
    Martinez - I blame Cabrera for sticking with a player that should be ranked at the bottom third of this league) #10 should be the best tech player in possession on the team. Right now Boniek does that better than him.

5. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    Why did you wear the black secondary in your home opener over your new orange primary? I’m praying it’s not because MLS considers it a “light” option and mandate dark/light combos.

CeltTexan repped this.
  6. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    @AcetheTigah

I thought Garcia was horrible... I'd throw him in the same group with Vera.

footyfool repped this.
  7. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    They were pretty clear, at least on social media, that the stadium is being cut in half. Half to Tigres, the other half for Dynamo fans. The trade off for not being able to get your usual seat was a steeply discounted pre-sale for season ticket holders. I don't blame them for going this route, they'll sell more tickets and it's a lot better/safer for Dynamo STH to have the two sets of fans segregated from one another.

8. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yeah, Kevin Garcia was a hot mess. If I never see him again at right back, I'll be happy.

Lundkvist (I've seen about 5-6 different spellings of his name in the past 12 hours, don't know why it is so hard), had a lovely cross for the Manotas goal. Apart from that, he was terrible. Too slow, poor decision making. I recall one sequence where Boni passed him the ball and overlapped into tons of space. Instead of giving it back to him, Lundkvist passed inside to an RSL player. Did dumb stuff like that all night.

McNamara was terrible as well. Starting to understand why he didn't play at all for NYCFC. He was a useful player in the past, he looks like he has passed his expiration date. With Duvall looking like 3rd string at RB now, Jordan's offseason moves are looking pretty poor. Duvall sucks, McNamara sucks, Hairston maybe useful but didn't have any impact last night, Vera doesn't appear to offer anything apart from being a liability. That leaves Struna. Usually I like to wait 10 games before passing judgement, but the vaunted "depth" on this team looks a lot like what I expected, crap.

9. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That's the rumor.

10. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That's my theory. Houston's light is the orange while the black is our dark. For RSL their dark is the red and light is white. So if the Dynamo had worn orange "light" then RSL would have to wear "dark" but orange and red are too similar. So we were stuck with wearing black.

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  11. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    That is exactly the answer I feared.

12. OneTerryHurlock

Aug 24, 2006
    Completely agree

13. OneTerryHurlock

Aug 24, 2006
    Pretty poor all round quite amusing that with 15 to go apart from being the worst player on the park Garcia is exhausted 2 assistant coaches are telling Wilmer “A license” Clown we need to change him he keeps looking at them like a deer in headlights calls for Hairston with 10 left but leaves the knackered Garcia our there he is COMPLETLY CLUELESS

Westside Cosmo and Borrachin repped this.
  14. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    might have been the worst attended home opener in our history

beer, hot dog, peanuts all for $11. i'm enjoying the "happy hour" pricing

seems like we are trying to playing two 6s in the midfield. VERY interested to see how this plays out when Cabezas is healthy

it may take a while ( a month or so) to see a consistent, game after game, line up that is our best. after we get healthy, get past red cards, and get past the Champions league, we will have the luxury of only focusing on MLS play and developing chemistry. right now, it feels like we have a "hold the line until reinforcements come" mentality

lundqvist was there to provide speedy over lap and good crosses into the box. he did that. he also lost his way and let an easy goal manifest itself. he's neither savior nor garbage

Quioto all the sudden has become a huge worry for me. Has he already quit??

Willis was great

Manotas was greater

i really thought the ref was way too card happy unitl i got home and watched the replay. holy frijoles! there were some really terrible tackles on both sides and honestly there could have been more cards. Vera, in particular, has no business playing like that. he had better get smarter because his performance to date does not give him any grace to hurt the team like that

where was the Coast Guard Dolphin fly over this year???

the memorial cannon named in honor of Leo was class above anything else this organization has done. Props to every one involved and Leo would probably never believe that such a thing would be done!! Having the first shot not go off correctly is quintessential Dynamo FO however.....

PS

Happy to be back with you ragamuffins this year!!

15. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can’t find a thread for Tuesday night so this seems to be where this info is going:

There was a resale for season ticket holders. It was the next day after the Guastatoya game ended.

I understand 14k tickets are sold and right now several thousand per day are behind sold — 80% Tigres. Sellout possible.

I think that explains all the issues referenced above with ticket handling for this game.

16. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean you didn’t enjoy the half-price happy hour beer specials for 2/3rds the serving size? It’s like when they cut the season ticket package from 20 to 18 games and kept the price the same and bragged about holding the line on prices.

The Walker guy seems like a pro but when you look at the organization it’s still full of the same ticketing lackeys probably behind the “lock-the-price with an auto renewal that has to be opted out by July 31”.

There’s just such little reliability that this organization can pull off anything smoothly.

No blame on going this route but some things seem like they decided stuff on the fly when they sent out an email about tickets on Monday night about the next round so they must have planned for Tigres winning.

The official team Twitter had complaining tweets from @Callowist but they were deleted along with responses from left wing sales guy Jay Adelberg.

Blame the Circle of Suck - or just blame the fans

17. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That stadium was empty.... ridiculous

18. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s the fans fault. We should buy tickets for a team that has missed playoffs 4 of 5 years and provided poor stadium experiences.

19. OneTerryHurlock

Aug 24, 2006
    And support a group that gives us a coach who would not be out of place coaching kids at Burroughs park with his "A Licence" Wilmer Clown

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  20. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People are voting with their feet because they are unhappy with the team.

21. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I reiterate, you cannot pull small market management approaches in a top 4 city. Back when people defended the team I used to hear about TV market size or attendance. This was a top 1/2 attendance team in the middle Kinnear years but the Astros now spend on salary and advance, and you cannot compete with a bunch of big city salaried teams with Harden Altuve Watt with small market moneyball. The other teams have won "world" titles. We have won MLS twice. You can't sell us on plucky. Will not work.

CeltTexan and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  22. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    In terms of the overall game, I felt like we came out and were aggressive with the forwards high for about 25 minutes. They chopped and chopped but weren't carded enough to punish them in a 90 minute way. No goals and one shot for the effort. Then we reverted to the defensive strategy for Guatemala. And still gave up a goal because we started the B team defense. They did manage to crawl back and get the point.

For people rested midweek the offense looked sluggish. The defense was in over its head. The mids struggled to corral the same opposing box-perimeter shots they beat us with last season. For how that was strategized and muddled a point is probably fair. I thought if we dogged it in favor of CCL we lost both games last season to them.

23. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Manotas is becoming a machine. Ching/Kamara level.

Willis, full credit, made a few excellent saves to bail out the mids not corraling the perimeter long shots. The deal on that remains do it night after night and get the GA average down.

Figueroa continues to be reliable. I agree that the risk there is probably age/injury.

Garcia and Lundkvist were both out of their depth (I was giggling at Davis talking up a player going forward who was responsible on that goal and many last year besides), and, worse, we should know better. I would like to see Vera, Duvall, and Hairston tried in the back. Heck, they thought enough of Junqua to dress him.

Quioto and Elis, for players largely rested midweek, looked sluggish and ineffective. The assist was Lundkvist. I did feel like RSL was strong on defense, quite willing to hack, and like we backed off into more of a shell after 25 where the forwards started from deeper. But it also felt like we ran out of gas 25 in for people who barely played midweek.

Vera got caught up in the hacking and punished. The mids were largely anonymous and failed to close down perimeter shooting. Boniek, to me, he passes nice, but doesn't cover defensive ground. Another one I disagreed with Davis on. If you don't score or create a bunch -- and most of our outlet play was diagonals from the back early -- and you aren't really covering defensive ground, so what if you pass better than some clunky DM.

24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s not all about on-field stuff. The attendance trend continued downward even within and after 2017. And 2017 has Super Sales Guy selling large amounts of discounted groups.

The Astros have had an impact and the Dynamo cheaped and degraded the experience at the same time. But it’s not all a zero-sum game, Dynamo came here in 2006 which was after the Astros 2005 World Series appearance and drew pretty well while the Astros drew excellent (higher than recent years) from 2006-08.

But no matter how hard Glenn Davis pushes it, Elis is not Altuve, Harden, etc.

Dynam0 repped this.
  25. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    this right here!

first, remove any pre-known knowledge that i'm Mexican and Elis is Honduran hence i be accused of bias.

strictly, from a Marketing standpoint we have a superstar that appeals to a very narrow demographic that, although may be heavily active on the Dynamo facebook page, does not buy SEASON tickets. out of curiosity have you ever clicked on the Honduran Dynamo fans that comment regularly on the various social media platform? they're all in Tegulcigalpa or Washington DC. breaking it down even further to a knowledgeable football fan perspective: are you really going to have a Brasilian/Scottish/Norweigen oil and gas ex-pat working in Houston come out to watch a Honduran superstar? nah dawg, they ain't.

what we are is a Brighton or Bournemouth with our midtable budget and second/third rate internationals. ironically, probably the same kind of teams Elis can be seen himself loaned or sold to come the summer.