Houston Dynamo v. Portland Timbers, Wednesday, May 15

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, May 12, 2019.

?

Result?

Poll closed May 14, 2019.
  1. Dynamo win

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. Dynamo tie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dynamo lose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Get to the stadium early to claim a good section.

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you expect different? They probably used stale hot dog buns they got in the markdown bin at Food Town

CeltTexan repped this.
  2. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Figueroa was struggling - you could see it in the bad decisions and bad touches he was making.. The Guy is a tremendous athlete and a good player but he is 36. He should have been subbed out for Fuenmayor.

Mistakes like that Portland goal happen when you are switched off and that happens to any players brain when they are laboring and tired.

Was the guy really onsides? - if he was wow, what a gaffe.

3. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    seriously, i dont get the complaints. EVERY single concession stand that had draft beer had the $3 sale. i saw one line that was really long kept walking and i found one with absolutely no wait. some of this is also people getting their heads out of their asses and looking up from their phone.

also, im telling ya. the 2 ladies at the hot dog stand where working their asses off like they were getting $40/hr when we know they aint making but a 1/4 of that.

i'm not Webbing y'all. i'm relaying my personal experience and with some smarts you couldve shortened your wait time.

4. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    They seemed to abandon this year's restrained 442 defensive shape in favor of pressing and more like a 433, as before. Curious if that was tactically purposeful, indiscipline, opportunism which became counter productive. Game opened up, they would routinely get to our defense, and it was more like last year in terms of how the game was played and the result relative to the opposition.

I am pushing back on the Memo Train because I feel like there is a lot of effort right now going into selling the idea that if Quioto goes Memo can handle the position and we don't need to shop a replacement. I am not sold. You lose the speed element -- which could be key if Elis also goes -- and for all the supposed technique, last two games, 1 assist which was a second assist on a ball a foot too high that Manotas reflex headed back where it needed to go. There was a free kick with an open near post he didn't put on cage. There was a far post shot that went past the post. I'm not sold he's a better technician than Quioto even. What he does do is hustle. But I am reflexively anti- this sort of DeRo/Kamara go after the emotional productive player in favor of the hustling but more prosaic professional. That to me tends to be a performance downslide ie the team gets worse on the field.

One thing Memo abandoned last night was staying open weak side. There was a play where Elis turned his man and goes down the endline, and where earlier in the season Memo is waiting alone past the back post, yesterday he is standing in front of the net and marked.

I mean, two games into this three game stretch, one goal. If this is the new way this is trending it cannot be that kind of offense.

I agree on Martinez. The Memo comments are more triggered by a feeling about a direction things are headed that I feel is net negative. But Memo was fairly involved (just not as much as I think Quioto would have been). Martinez I can't remember much he did and we got outplayed in the midfield.

So in the big picture it would be more like, Martinez needs to literally be replaced, Memo is fine, just don't make too big a deal of it, and if Quioto goes sign someone else who can play LW or both wings. I don't think you will like a rebooted Dynamo minus Elis with Memo wide Manotas middle and a lesser player wide right. I don't care if we got a 10 that would be less punchy. I think that's sliding back towards 2016 and the idea is progress not go backwards.

5. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I would’ve liked to see Quioto in earlier. Still prefer him to Memo honestly.

Nice to have Beasley back.

Martinez really needs to show more in his #10 role. McNamara doesn’t do much to push him. Would be nice to see Memo there occasionally and maybe a spot you can upgrade or bring in a young guy to push Martinez.

RGVFCs #10 is Andy Cabrera, but he isn’t up to snuff in USL, let alone MLS.

6. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I didn't think Beaz played well but I also think Fernandez would have eaten Lundkvist alive even if that initially netted out better on offense.

7. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I think part of the reason I am on and on about Memo is that can be fixed within the roster while Martinez cannot. Martinez you have to shift the DP to the 10 slot and get someone outside. I think Mac and Boniek and others can come off the bench fine but they are not 90 minute stars. To mix metaphors they have bet on the wrong horse and placed their eggs all in that basket.

That being said the forward quality must be maintained if/when the roster is redone otherwise we revert to the pre-Cabrera problem of a decent 10 with no one to play the ball towards. People overrate the technical wish. We are a sloppy team. We create by running by people. If you want this to be technical go out and get 2 or more super technical players, not just Memo. If you like how it's done now the new wings need speed, which is not Memo.

8. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Re Figueroa we have played 10 games and he has seen 810 minutes (full time) in 9 games. I know they risk some slippage on a given night but in terms of the longer season goals he needs to be rotated for health and fitness.

Maybe the idea is he will get some rest at GC and so use him while you have him, but good luck with that idea.

One thing to bear in mind is while nominally we have fewer MLS games with CCL added in we may have played more games that count than most.

9. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Why don’t you get your head off your phone and walk around the stadium? I sat on the West side and there one stand in 105 servicing the largest population of guests in the stadium. Every body has a right to their opinion and it doesn’t make them an ass.

Service is not very good or consistent when it is good. That is for certain.
    I am glad things worked out for you last night but there were a lot of unhappy people on the West side. I don’t usually complain about service but last night it was mismanaged.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  10. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    exactly what im talking about. walk 2 concessions over and its probably empty. c'mon now, we've been at this stadium for 8 years now.

i was joking with a friend how we have a favorite restroom. it's hidden away and rarely full. meanwhile 2 restrooms down the line is out the door 10 people deep. C'MON NOW. street smarts/common sense/etc go a long way.

but nooooooo, i dont want to walk an extra 30 feet. its better to complain on the internet! waaaaaaah!

DynamoManiac repped this.
  11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How hard would it be for a stadium or FO employee to help direct folks to shorter lines? That’s the issue here, they plan and act poorly then compound it with bad “on the spot” decisions. Folks shouldn’t need to walk to the east side from the west side to participate in a reasonably visible promotion.

They had what, 7-8,000 folks actually in the stadium? If they can’t execute at that level of crowd they got no shot on a big night

12. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    again, youve proven my point. i was there and all the concessions were fully staffed. if there are only 7-8k in the stadium, logic would dictate there are shorter lines somewhere else.

....and im literally talking 30 feet over not the whole other side of the stadium.

13. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    Figeroa’s father passed last night... I wonder if he was mentally in the game. Totally understandable if he wasn’t.

14. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I did walk the whole west side - and looked into all the venues nothing else - so maybe you haven’t done your homework.

Don’t Make accusations falsely amigo, it reflects on you poorly.

15. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I never said it wasn’t fully staffed in each venue.

There was only one person performing the work for $1 hot dogs I n one temporary stand on the whole west side.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  16. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just have intra communication coms or phone within our BBVA game day ops staff. That way if one watering hole is crowded, the other one down the concourse can be asked instantaneously and Dynamo patrons can be alerted to the customerless booth. Simple really.
    Just takes a trip to Academy Sports + Outdoor for some walkie talkies!

Jebus! Really! Most mortal men would be off for sure!!!

17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is that Brener authorized a new two-way communication system for stadium ops as soon as they work thru their stack of unused MCI calling cards and the Nextel contract expires

18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man o man Ponce woulda laughed at this throwback punchline Westie!
    MCI calling cards! Hahaha!

19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After 7 years the only excuse for many of these stadium problems is lack of investment and staffing. I always got the sense from Canetti that he knew about the problems but never cared enough about the fans to fix them or spend the money

20. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    How many stadiums, in any sport, have staff standing around to point you to the shortest line for concessions? I've been to a shitload of stadiums, I don't think I've ever seen that. Feels like we're inventing new reasons to complain about an FO that is significantly better than what has been here in the past and that is working pretty damn hard to change things, but that takes time.

DonJuego and *rey* repped this.
  21. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    A whole page on whether hotdogs stands were staffed enough and how stupid the public may or may not be.

Exciting game guys, right?

22. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    you f*ckers don't understand if we let the beer and hotdogs and restrooms go then next thing you know they've unretired Ted Eck for the 10. hold the line!

Danwoods repped this.
  23. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #49 juvechelsea, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
    buy him a plane ticket home and give him the night off

i am now curious if he was tough or we were cheap

24. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    i get insider knowledge -- i have my own closely guarded route to the building parking garage -- but running an organization on that basis would be crazed. the team should have functioning systems the casual fan runs through. that special fans figure out workarounds doesn't help that, and if others found your way, end of individual workaround. hence it's secret. thus the main body of fans need things to work right, people pointing them around, etc.

i used to get into our local movie theater free as a kid because a friend worked there. if everyone else does that the place closes.