Houston Dynamo v. Portland Timbers, Wednesday, May 15

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, May 12, 2019.

?

Result?

Poll closed May 14, 2019.
  1. Dynamo win

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. Dynamo tie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dynamo lose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Get to the stadium early to claim a good section.

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Who: Houston Dynamo v. Portland Timbers
    When: Wednesday, May 15 @ 7:30 pm CDT
    Where: BBVA Compass Stadium; Houston, TX
    Records: Portland Timbers (3-6-1), 10th place WEST
    Houston Dynamo (6-2-1), 4th place WEST
    TV: KUBE-57
    Radio: HoustonDynamo.com/radio / 1010 AM Univision Radio (spanish)

This is the 10th league game for Houston and the 11th for Portland in the 2019 MLS regular season.

Last year Houston lost at Portland, 2-1, in July and then won at home, 4-1, in September. The teams will play again this year in Oregon on June 22.

Portland is 3-2-0 in their last five games scoring 8 goals and allowing 6. Their most recent game was a road loss, 1-0, against Vancouver on May 10. The Timbers are 3-6-1 in away games so far this year. They won't play at home until June 1 due to stadium expansion. After the Dynamo game they get a bye and won't play again until May 25 at Philadelphia.

The Dynamo are 3-2-0 in their last five MLS games scoring 7 goals and allowing 5. Houston is 5-0-1 in league home games this year, 6-1-1 overall.

The Dynamo next host DC United on Saturday, May 18, and then travel to Minnesota on May 25.

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Portland @ Dynamo, all-time:

08/14/11 HOU 2-1 POR
    05/15/12 HOU 0-0 POR
    04/27/14 HOU 1-1 POR
    05/16/15 HOU 3-1 POR
    09/24/16 HOU 3-1 POR
    07/29/17 HOU 2-2 POR
    10/30/17 HOU 0-0 POR, playoffs
    09/15/18 HOU 4-1 POR

That's 4-0-4 overall with 15 goals scored and 7 allowed.

3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Weather forecast for Wednesday night in Houston.

At 7 pm CDT:

80F
    62% humidity
    wind 9 mph ESE
    Mostly Cloudy
    2% chance of rain

There is a 20-30% chance right now for thunderstorms on during the day on Wednesday but they should clear out by the evening. Temps will fall into the 70s during the game while the humidity will rise to near 80% by the end.

Local sunset is at 8:08 pm so the game should be mostly played in the shade even before dark.

4. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Match preview:

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-05-15-houston-dynamo-vs-portland-timbers/preview

HOUSTON
    [​IMG]
    • Injury Report:
      • OUT: Eric Bird (M) - left ankle injury
      • OUT: DaMarcus Beasley (D) - left knee surgery
      • OUT: Ronaldo Peña (F) - left knee injury
      • OUT: Marlon Hairston (M) - right hip injury
    • Suspended: None
    • Suspended after next caution: None
    • International duty: None
    PORTLAND
    [​IMG]
    • Injury Report:
      • OUT: Aljaz Ivacic (GK) - knee surgery
      • OUT: Kendall McIntosh (GK) - left thigh strain
      • QUESTIONABLE: Marvin Loria (M) - right foot injury
    • Suspended: Diego Chara (M)
    • Suspended after next caution: None
    • International duty: None
    OFFICIALS
    • Referee: Ted Unkel
    • Assistant Referees: Brian Poeschel, Gjovalin Bori
    • 4th Official: Rosendo Mendoza
    • VAR: Malik Badawi

5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ted Unkel ref!!! Same guy who ran into a DC player two weeks ago that led to a Columbus goal then went to VAR to manufacture a foul call to get himself out of it - how is he back reffing again so quickly? He clearly botches it and then lied to cover it up

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $7 to sit in 204 thru the $7 link - $39 if you go to thru the regular link on the Dynamo site.

They wonder why they lose STHs every year

8. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May has been delightful thus far, great weather. Watching our Astros right now on the road up in Detroit n folks are bundled up. Not all but some.
    Our FO has got to find new fans to the beautiful game. Canetti cut staff, cut our Dynamo gals and found ways to cut loyal fans who might never come back!

Still!
    DALE DYNAMO!!!

9. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea, it's bs! $700 a year to sit in 205 and there are people sitting next to me with a quarter of the cost for the same view.... it sounds snobby or elitist, but I don't give a shit.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  10. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The amount of discounts they’ve done this year starts to creep further into the “why would I have a season ticket” territory. Look, these promotions - and it goes back to opener with $14 no fee tickets - are mainly for perception and appearance purposes. There’s not a ton of incremental revenue at $7 per head and you’ve got discount concessions that cut into that margin for the team because they probably are somewhat subsidizing the concession price cut Levy is taking. It’s definitely some upside in revenue and it avoids some embarassment to sponsors.

The downside is you could further erode the STH base who get sick of everyone else getting a discount.

11. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    LOL knew Fernandez would score as soon as he came on. Poetic justice

*rey* repped this.
  12. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I will laugh my ass off if we get pipped for a playoff spot by the Timbers.

13. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    Looks like Quioto is ready to be in the starting lineup... he was hungry!

Danwoods repped this.
  14. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I saw (in parts while watching Astros and hockey) , Dynamo had the better of play and with some better finishing or "better in the final third" like Dom would say they should have won.

Also glad to see the FO still excelling in game day operations below. Saw tweets as well that they were out of hot dogs and beer at many concession stands. how does this happen when there are like 7,000 folks at most at the game? is it just extreme cheapness and not wanting to tap a few more kegs? Did they not order enough? Just mindboggling how poor this organization continues to execute on promotions

http://www.reddit.com/r/dynamo/comments/bp6kse/beer_taps_out_on_713_night_wtf_fo/

15. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    I don’t know about that. I had 3 hot dogs and 5 beers no problem. The 2 ladies at the hot dog stand in 102 were running it like a machine.

16. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just linking to reddit, there are a few tweets like that as well. I didn't go but it seems par for the course given years of this kind of stuff. You know the crowd was pretty thin so really no excuse for problems except incompetence or cheapness.

17. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Hot dog line was a separate small stand with no TV no beer and a long line. They kept running out of hot dogs I gave up cuz I wanted to watch the game.
    The beer was at the concession stand but no $1 hot dogs only the $7.50 ones.
    The stunt just makes for more hard feelings against the Front Office.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  18. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Blame Wilmer and tired defenders for this boo boo.

I said in an earlier post that for us to win games it’s imperative that we score AT Least 2 goals a game - our defense just isn’t the best in the league. Just mid table level.

Wilmer subbed wrong and too late.
    We won the first 65 minutes and the lost the last 25 because of stupid game management and tactics by Wilmer.

19. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Gonna have to get another road win at a western conference foe to make up for the dropped 2 pts

20. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We owned them in that first half.
    So what the hell happened to us in the second half?!? Oh, that's right, we turn back the clock and go back to coasting as the match wears on.
    Super.

We must get fat on the rest of the league's teams road and home cuz it might be a long Summer. Gold Cup n all.

21. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Memo was better than Martinez or Quioto last night.

Elis was tired by the 65 minute I would have subbed Quioto in for him - Vilifana owned him for the rest of the night. If I am not mistaken, Quito is right footed and may be better on that side anyway.

Lots more to comment on but I need to do some work this morning...

CeltTexan and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  22. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Outspent and outcoached. And that was a winnable game against a team right now well down the table (though I bet they rise since that forward can flat out play).

I feel like if you look at similar busy stretches in past years Cabrera often does this. He rotates but chasing the wrong games, he favors favorites and not the right people. We get like 3 points from 3 games and slide the wrong way. And we're about to lose players to GC. And then the window.

Maybe the deal is Quioto's gone -- and he doesn't defend like Memo -- but I found SOG telling. Quioto had more shots total than Memo in 8 minutes, more on goal, and 2 parried. Memo did have a second assist but he worked very hard for us to get one goal on a team allowing a bunch. In both games Quioto was the more dangerous player. As with Zardes for the USMNT I think the benefits fool you since it should have been like 3-1.

The game flipped with the Fernandez sub and not only did the game go away from Cabrera, but he waits several minutes to sub and only subs twice. And he fell into the historical Timber trap of playing an end to end game.

Figueroa had an off day. Goal is his -- his man got a bunch of space. And he looked tired or was diving in and missing.

23. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I nean, "Memo helped get us a goal" feels less impressive when it's like, that Portland team couldn't stay with our Honduran wings and is shipping 2 goals a game on average. Memo hustled and hustled and crossed and crossed and 1-1. How about just run by those awful wingbacks and score like 4 like LA?

24. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    The move should have been Quioto in Martinez out. Move Memo in at Martinez's spot. Then you could have put Hairston in for Elis since he couldn't beat Villifana the last 30 minutes of the game - he was obviously exhausted and wasn't getting back fast enough either leaving the field stretched and more open. This is the issue I have with Quioto last night as well but he has no excuse as he should be fit enough to get back when he is on for only 10 minutes - lazy.

Quioto and Martinez both lose possession easily and win very few challenges compared to Memo. Memo is not as fast as Quioto but he doesn't make all the stupid decisions that Quioto makes.

25. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I know Hairston wasn't on the bench but he should have been in instead on MacNamara. Portland is a fast team and we needed players on the field in the last 35 minutes that can cover a lot of ground fast to deny them space and challenge every ball - that's how you close out a game.

No way we could keep up the intensity we had the first sixty minutes without subbing out multiple players to accomplish this.