Houston Dynamo v. Portland Timbers, Saturday, September 15

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Sep 4, 2018.

?

Result?

Poll closed Sep 15, 2018.
  1. Dynamo win

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Dynamo tie

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Dynamo lose

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Two weeks to drink enough to get ready? Might not be enough.

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Who: Houston Dynamo v. Portland Timbers
    When: Saturday, September 15 @ 7:30 pm CDT
    Where: BBVA Compass Stadium; Houston, TX
    Records: Portland Timbers (11-7-8), 6th in West
    Houston Dynamo (7-13-7), 10th in West
    TV: KUBE-57
    Radio: 95.7/1010 am (Spanish)

This is the 28th regular season game of the year for Houston and Portland. Portland defeated the Dynamo at home 2-1 in July. The last time Portland came to Houston was a 0-0 tie in the 2017 MLS Playoffs. The last regular season visit was a 2-2 tie in July of 2017. The Timbers have never won at the Dynamo.

Portland's most recent game was a road tie, 1-1, at New England on September 1. They will also host Colorado on September 8 before traveling to Houston.

Portland is 1-3-1 in their last five league games scoring 4 goals and allowing 10. The Timbers are 3-5-5 in road league games so far this year. They next host Columbus on September 19.

The Dynamo are now 0-4-1 in the last five league games scoring 4 goals and allowing 9. Houston is 6-5-3 so far in home league games this year.

The Dynamo next travel to Orlando on September 22 and then host San Jose on September 29.

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Portland @ Dynamo, all-time:

08/14/11 HOU 2-1 POR
    05/15/12 HOU 0-0 POR
    04/27/14 HOU 1-1 POR
    05/16/15 HOU 3-1 POR
    09/24/16 HOU 3-1 POR
    07/29/17 HOU 2-2 POR
    10/30/17 HOU 0-0 POR, playoffs

That's 3-0-4 overall with 11 goals scored and 6 allowed.

3. houhen

houhen Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Atascocita
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondering if I have a new tradition of leaving the game early, just so I keep my dinner down.

4. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    portland sucks......no wait....

we do

El Naranja, DynamoManiac and *rey* repped this.
  5. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    ouch!

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Important message: The FIFA World Cup 2026 hosting committee will be closely watching attendance at this and every Dynamo game from now until 2020 to see if Houston is worthy to host World Cup games in the future so please buy every ticket you can!!!!!

7. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have full faith that we'll break this record with a Timbers win.

8. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Updated with Portland result on Saturday:

Who:
    Houston Dynamo v. Portland Timbers
    When: Saturday, September 15 @ 7:30 pm CDT
    Where: BBVA Compass Stadium; Houston, TX
    Records: Portland Timbers (12-7-8), 5th in West
    Houston Dynamo (7-13-7), 10th in West
    TV: KUBE-57
    Radio: 95.7/1010 am (Spanish)

This is the 28th regular season game of the year for Houston and Portland. Portland defeated the Dynamo at home 2-1 in July. The last time Portland came to Houston was a 0-0 tie in the 2017 MLS Playoffs. The last regular season visit was a 2-2 tie in July of 2017. The Timbers have never won at the Dynamo.

Portland's most recent game was a road tie, 1-1, at New England on September 1. They also beat Colorado, 2-0, on September 8 before traveling to Houston.

Portland is 2-2-1 in their last five league games scoring 5 goals and allowing 6. The Timbers are 3-5-5 in road league games so far this year. They next host Columbus on September 19.

The Dynamo are now 0-4-1 in the last five league games scoring 4 goals and allowing 9. Houston is 6-5-3 so far in home league games this year.

The Dynamo next travel to Orlando on September 22 and then host San Jose on September 29.

Heft repped this.
  9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s Noche Naranja!!! Expect a sellout crowd!!

10. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m going to say the “wet forecast” was probably referring to the financial bath the Dynamo were going to take in costs for doing the Orange Avenue thing for a small crowd
    [​IMG]
    Due to wet weather forecasts,
    @losskarnales
    ' performance in the
    @BudLightHtown
    Beer Garden tomorrow has been postponed and Orange Ave. will not be open. Drink tickets can be redeemed pregame at
    @LuckysPub or@LuckysLodge#HOUvPOR

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see the fanbase is really pumped for the win last night. Already doused with raw Orange Kool-Aid mix all over the Internet (“this is team we are when healthy, no red cards”; “if Cabezas had been healthy all year we’d be in the playoffs”; “3-0 when Cabezas plays”(which forgets he played less than a full game each time)).

This team didn’t win for 10 straight league games. It’s not like they face Barcelona and Real Madrid each week

12. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Plot twist on that one. I mean last night. "Wait, they do again"

7seven7 repped this.
  13. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    It would be good for momentum and morale if they could get better results to close the season.

However, one cannot assume this and thus it's naive to turn the one isolated win in 2 months in league play into "oh, the worm has turned." That's naked optimism.

I do think the next 3 and the final game are "pointable." I expect LAFC and Seattle to be playing for postseason and all business at home.

14. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    The difference with Cabezas was fairly dramatic. Mobility, havoc.

They need to decide if they are willing to pay half a million for a mid (Martinez) who is really not a 10. To me you get that "Valeri" skill at a young age. He is not going to grow into better touch and accuracy. You might get more fit like Davis, ie, professionalism, work on being more an athlete.

Alexander is barely fit to play a half, Ceren looked bad, the supporting cast is dreck.

15. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I was critical of Garcia last year and am not sure how he would hold up under regular use, but he looked fine again yesterday. That we instead see Watts until his injury kind of gets at my theory that for all the yakking how Cabrera has an eye for talent, no, I don't think we run out our best XI.

Not a Beasley fan at this stage, and think we could do better, but I think the backline at the end of the game would be our best chance for the balance. Machado is a joke, Leonardo is falling apart. Senderos is marginal, he does add something, but I think he costs as much as he adds. One of the things we need is a defense that doesn't invite you in and put a mint on your pillow.

That first goal I thought I am watching US-Trinidad for a bit. Then it shifted.

16. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #16 juvechelsea, Sep 16, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    I'm sorry but I think Willis should have gotten the first one. I know it's a wicked deflection but that to me was immobility, and people remain in denial about the difference between the level Deric used to play, versus keeping this season from all options (including Seitz, to be fair), and that with how many close games we've had marginal differences in keeping ability can mean points. Ie, how does a team that is +5 GD end up well sub .500.

I am curious what happens in the offseason because Deric for a period there was routinely up for USL save of the week type awards. I think we stashed him away at RGV to avoid making a decision. I remain at unease with what he was charged with. However, depending how the organization feels about him personally, him vs Seitz or him vs Willis is not even objectively difficult. It kind of paints this as a throwaway season that we haven't moved already, this long ago quit being about fitness or whatever the excuse was. At most, in practical terms, this is penance. For the future, it's only really a question of what we can accept. I kind of think that decision was made when they re-signed him.

17. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    In terms of forward, I don't know what shifted, but we went from early on getting forwards the ball about midfield with the defense back, and being down 0-1, to getting players into open spaces behind the defense like when the gimmick worked, 4-1. This is a different team when the opposing defense presses high and we get around the flank. But this is an unusual week for lately. Our dilemma in miniature.

18. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Since the season is basically over, I would like to see Bird get some time, Garcia start some games, and Donovan get a start before the last game. The USOC final should be the best XI but every other game should be about learning for the future more than running out Ceren, Alvarez, Alexander, Machado some more. The book there should be clear.

19. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they carry the form through the Union game, all they need to do is get Memo as many minutes as possible and find Quioto's replacement. Whether that's tactical change, in house or not needs to be decided. And that's about it. Everything else is scouting

20. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I see a tension in the remainder of the season they may not admit. USOC needs to be best available. I think even the biggest crank on here would probably like the best result there.

But the rest of the games, if Elis and Quioto are gone in the next two windows, it's not helpful to us to play them a bunch, or particularly as forwards. What we then need to know is, can Manotas hack it without them? Can Pena play on a regular basis? Elis and Quioto give them the best chance to win but as with many lottery teams that need a rebuild, playing people you don't intend to keep, to chase wins that won't change your fate but might hurt your draft spot, isn't worth much.

I also think so much of the backfield and mids are a teardown I would like to know if the few underused players we have, can play. If they can, prove it in games. If they can't, they shouldn't be any safer than the next player. Memo, Bird, Donovan, Garcia, maybe even the 3rd keeper.

21. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Hate to say it, but I'd love it if they lost every single remaining game including the US Open Cup final. I fear that a Cup win and a strong finish leads to no change, more of the same. They can say, "if Cabezas had been here all year long, look this shows we are on the right path, etc, etc".

22. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Portland looked great until their right back went out with injury in the first half. He was right on Rommel the whole time and denying everything. After he went out the game turned immediately.

Portland after that Chara goal was disallowed for offside on Valeri, they seemed very affected by the humidity and really struggled especially having to cover those over the top balls on the counter.

This was a good win but Portland has not not been the same without Fernando Adi who has been a nightmare for us in the past (winning goal against us in Portland last time).

The Pairing of Boniek and Alexander as two defensive midfiedlers was out of necessity. Boniek helps to cover for Alexanders lack of mobility but it leaves gaps on the wings on the back side of play. Cabezas is a HUGE upgrade over Alexander who is just too slow to handle most MLS attackers / midfielders. He made a big difference for us second half.

So glad they got rid of Cubo and have given the reins to Manotas. I would like to see more time for Memo as well.

23. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is, if they “have to change” they will still only invest the bare minimum to get us up to par. They proved that last off-season.

24. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I hadn't thought about it in terms of matchups late. I am not a Villafana fan. I think he's massively overrated and responsible for a chunk of that abysmal night in Trinidad.

However we had 2 goals before half time. One was a free kick that seemed to catch everyone flat footed and wrong side of their man. But the second was a classic Dynamo break. And basically xerox that for the second half, one dead ball runner wide open, one break where they were pushed high.

Portland's coach, that some so eagerly wanted, was mouthing off to the press about loss of control, and acting like it was their game in hand. But to me it was like a switch flipped off in their heads at 30'. They went from looking well prepared to completely naive. They made 2 mistakes before the half and the same 2 after.