Houston Dynamo v. Montreal Impact, Saturday, March 9

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Mar 6, 2019.

?

Result?

Poll closed Mar 9, 2019.
  1. Dynamo win

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Dynamo tie

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Dynamo lose

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Meh

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Who: Houston Dynamo v. Montreal Impact
    When: Saturday, March 9 @ 4:00 pm CST
    Where: BBVA Compass Stadium; Houston, TX
    Records: Montreal Impact (1-0-0), 3rd place EAST
    Houston Dynamo (0-0-1), 8th place WEST
    TV: KUBE-57
    Radio: None

This is the 2nd league game for both teams in the 2019 MLS regular season.

Montreal beat Houston, 1-0, in June of 2018 in the most recent meeting. The last time the Impact came to Houston was a 3-1 win for the Dynamo in July of 2017.

Montreal finished 2018 in 7th place in the East. They started off 2019 with a win, 1-2, at San Jose. The Impact are 3-2-0 in their last five regular season league games scoring 7 goals and allowing 7. Montreal was 3-12-2 in road games last year. After the Dynamo game they travel to Orlando on March 16.

The Dynamo are now 3-1-1 in their last five games in all competitions scoring 7 goals and allowing 6. Houston is 1-1-1 in home games so far this year.

The Dynamo will next travel to Mexico for the 2nd leg of the CCL quarterfinals on March 12 and then return home to host Vancouver on March 16.

7seven7 repped this.
  2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Montreal @ Dynamo, all-time:

07/21/12 HOU 3-0 MTL
    10/06/12 HOU 1-1 MTL
    10/04/13 HOU 1-0 MTL
    10/31/13 HOU 3-0 MTL, playoffs
    03/15/14 HOU 1-0 MTL
    09/06/14 HOU 3-2 MTL
    04/11/15 HOU 3-0 MTL
    07/05/17 HOU 3-1 MTL

That's 7-0-1 overall with 18 goals scored and 4 allowed.

3. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    good! we ned to fk these guys up to get over the Tigres loss.

Grimmjow316 and 7seven7 repped this.
  4. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a 3-0 win for us will go a long way to getting our chins up. Besides, we need to start getting 3 points at home the next month while we can. The Champ League is over, so go all in the next 6 weeks and pad the standings.

PS
    Frogs suck!!

5. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I’m just hoping for a clean sheet in league play this season can we get one please.

6. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the equipment manager sleeping on the job again?

7. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weather should be ok, possible rain, but these games in March are usually incredible nights out downtown with friends and footy!

I would like to see some line up shifts, to see if players can play better with different demands asked of them. Martinez can keep sitting. I trust Cabezas can return.

DALE DYNAMO!!!

They stanky as well!

8. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Weather forecast for Saturday afternoon in Houston.

At 4 pm:

78F
    68% humidity
    wind 9 mph SW
    Cloudy
    18% chance of rain

There is a chance of thunderstorms from 11 am to 1 pm on Saturday but that goes away in the afternoon. The chance of rain increases slightly by the end of the game as the temps fall closer to 70 but it is still only about 25%.

9. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Willis; DeLaGarza, Struna, Figueroa, Lundkvist, B. García ©, Cerén,; Martínez; Hairston, Manotas, Rodriguez

bench
    Deric Fuenmayor Duvall LesserGarcia McNamara Elis Quioto

10. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ceren is not only playing but starting. FML!

7seven7 repped this.
  11. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Important rivalry game for the Matt Jordan Wooden Spoon (splinters no extra charge)

12. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Tidy finish

13. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    And Memo finally decides to earn his paycheck

14. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Memo with a goal from the Theater of the Imagination, specifically the part where I imagine one of these guys just kicks the f*ck out of the ball

CeltTexan repped this.
  15. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Guess who 2-1
    McNamara with a fighting header to keep the play going

16. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I really like Memo on the ball than Martinez - he is better in possession because he either passes it to a target in a timely fashion or he draws a foul instead of getting dispossessed. He also is a lot more dangerous around the box. I think he makes Martinez better than Quioto or Elis does because they don’t combine as well with him than Memo does. Hairston wasn’t bad either.
    Figueroa was good today. Struna has moments but he had one play when he was foolish with the ball and he was stripped and the Montreal player goes right into the box with it alone against Willis. Fortunately it was at an angle and Figueroa got over quickly enough to pressure a bad shot.

Al in all a decent game to recover from a quality goal down to Montreal.

Not sure if we are going to be average team or Montreal is that bad.

17. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Both outside backs made some good crosses in today and held down the flanks for the most part.

Ceren’s passing is terrible. Can’t wait to get him back on the bench with Cabezas return. Hopefully we keep Vera on the bench too.

Menotas was dead tired but great forwards will score in that key moment after being invisible for 8o minutes. He was surrounded by two or more defenders all day but still scored.

18. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    Memo played an awesome 1st half... looked out of gas within 10 minutes of the 2nd half.

19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A needed win, nice to see Memo score. Something still off with this team but this game was really a must-win and they scrapped it out.

Not gonna get too much into attendance but the announced crowd of 12k is really low for an MLS league game on a weekend. And the pictures show probably half that amount actually bothered to go. This club has serious ticket sales issues

20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Swede acquitted himself rather well given the opportunity to start.
    Memo is growing up right before our eyes, so is Manotas really. Proud if them both today. We REALLY needed to find a way to come back and win at, and our boys delivered!

22. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Note on Montreal. No team in MLS has a better record over last third of last season and start of 2019.

23. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Struna is a pleasure to watch. No single player is flawless, Kiki included. He is a good general for the back, cool headed, and a crisp passer. He had a moment where the ball came to him, he took about 30 yrds of forward space and made a clean diagonal pass to the wing. That play reminded me of what Cameron used to do. A Willis, Struna, Cabeza spine gives me more confidence in our D than I've had in quite a while.

Ceren might be one of the worst players in Orange. Ever. There has to, HAS TO BE, some one better to play in his place no matter the situation.

Props to Poo for not giving up on the play that led to the last goal. He still was largely ineffective and has a puzzling habit of trying to blast passes and shots straight thru other human beings

Curious that Piatti wasn't more involved. Congrats to our D for shutting him down. I still thought that Montreal would look to him more--especially in the air since he was marked by a much shorter AJ a lot of the game--than the did.

Quite a lot of hard challenges. Again. One of the games, it's gonna really come back to haunt us in the mid field. Our mids seem to always tackle from behind & need to be a tad more cautious IMO

Attendance was indeed low. Not sure anything changes that except for consistently winning, creating buzz, and getting an additional 10-20 percent of the average Joe's in the stadium. I arrived to the game with 10 mnts to spare and still received a magnet. They were supposed to be for the first 5k fans.....

Great strike by Memo. He was always going to shoot. Many times he possessed the ball at the top of the box and never looked to pass; only to shoot. While I applaud his gumption, I hope he learns to balance his choices more in the future. Hitting a shot like that might actually hurt in the long run by giving him the illusion that he can always hit it instead of passing to open team mates with a higher percentage shot. There is no reason why he can't learn balanced choices and as a young player, I'm confident he will.

good win and a much needed and deserved 3 points

PS

what was that hot orange thing in the sky??

*rey* repped this.
  24. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I get that Montreal has had a good run of results from the end of last season to the game against San Jose but they didn't pass the eye test to me. Either they had a really off day or they are Western Conference bottom dwellars again this season.

I did like having a more active, two-way midfield with Martinez, Memo and Hairston. I believe this is one of the first league games in a while where we seemed better than the other team in controlling the midfield and actually having better possession play.

Am I mistaken or does anyone else think we were better in holding the ball with Hairston and Memo as opposed to Elis and Quioto? (I will say Quioto is not as much of a culprit in turning the ball over immediately as Elis is - it really is a liability with him).

25. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    8 teams per conference advance this year? Wow. Yeah, we better be getting results from these and stay right side of that low bar. This is a low hanging fruit sector of the season, poor/mediocre opposition, at home. It's complicated by the CCL but if you want to go anywhere in league you have to routinely get results from the sort of team that misses the playoffs or is marginal for them. You don't get that you're likely also not getting anything from the good teams and your outboard has shut off in the middle of the bay.

We do get a couple road games soon but basically the only team in the near term part of the schedule that looks quality thus far would be Columbus. You have to feast now because eventually the away and better team parts of this schedule will even out.

Montreal is East. Being fair, they got the first goal on the road, and I think some of this is that a team that sits back, invites you in, then counters, actually played into our hands. That and 80F was probably roasting for them.