Houston Dynamo v. FC Dallas, Saturday, May 4

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Apr 28, 2019.

?

Result?

Poll closed May 3, 2019.
  1. Dynamo win

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Dynamo tie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dynamo lose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No matter what, we still don't live in Dallas.

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2. Geauxlden

Geauxlden New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Apr 30, 2017
    I've never been to a Seattle match or seen their pregame setup, could you possibly expand on what they do?

3. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    The goal was Lundkvist's man crossing to dlG's man. I think he has improved, yes, but I think there are similar goals in games like LAG where he allows the cross that someone else scores.

Pena, if you step back, is a slow back to goal type forward with some foot skills who looks like he would finish opportunities but is going to be so glacial how often will he get them. I am not sure how a target type even fits in our scheme. And even if you wanted him in the scheme, my impression is he is the proverbial player who slaloms the first guy only to give it up to the second, there is no afterburner, and he is no Brad Davis on skills.

We like to get out and run and the forwards we have now generally can stay with each other. He would be regressing back to Cubo fitness where the striker can't keep up with the play. If the aim is to continue the 433 and be a fast counter team he simply does not fit.

I don't get why he was signed because these limitations should have been obvious up front to a decent scout.

4. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    The problem isn't the fact that the stadium is downtown. IMHO that is where the stadium needs to be located.

The issues with regards to the stadium are the people that were in charge of making decisions regarding the stadium whether that be ownership or management:

They didn't invest in extras and/or the extras they did invest in were stupid (like the Canetti boot room). Whether that is additional awning because it is too damn hot to make sure all seats are not in the sun, fans for the same reason, they didn't study airflow as it relates to the stadium and seating. That is a huge problem in Houston.

One of the best things that resonated with the fans was in Robertson outside the locker room they cordoned off space where Dynamo players would be able to sign autographs after a game if they wanted and shake hands with fans. No real thought went into that as they built the stadium. This wasn't an exclusive, VIP experience. Any kid who came to the came could get in that horseshoe near the Dynamo locker room and wait.

Not as much consideration seemed to go into supporters groups seating as they did at other MLS stadiums. I don't feel like parking and/or traffic flow were given much consideration either.

Don't get me started on concession prices, big hot dogs, and/or ticket fees. Don't get me started on ticket brokers ability buy tickets the first two years.

The best thing is the new leadership seems like they are trying to turn the boat around. Instead of spending millions to upgrade concessions and making bigger hot dogs, they are buying fans and making other improvements. It's a start.

5. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    For the folks who think a downtown stadium was not the best of ideas, where would you have put the stadium?

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #81 Westside Cosmo, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
    I’ll go first and try with what I would perceive as plausible sites both politically and economically:

- joint rebuild of Robertson with grass surface in JV with UH. -would have had decent access and parking. Never understood how both couldn’t figure out how to build one joint stadium that would have been cheaper for both sides combined.

- Delmar rebuild

- Sites along Beltway 8 with a parking (south part of beltway)

- Gulfton area Burnett Bayland Park plus Napoleon Square and Lantern Village apartments - best Latino location in town!!!!

Here’s the deal - all of these sites (exception of my Gulfton one) probably all would have been cheaper or gotten more public assistance or subsidy than they got downtown which means more funds for the club in theory

7. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    There was 0 chance that the Dynamo and UH would work in tandem.

Dynam0 repped this.
  8. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't realize they stopped doing the autograph thing after games! That was a great attraction. Yeah, I miss Robertson Stadium, a lot. Parking, prices, player availability for fans was much better and easier. I always felt that our opinion mattered in those days. I used to go all the time with my kids (I have 4), but now it's too expensive. I go still, but less often and alone.

9. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct on Quioto and Cabezas being injured, both just getting back to fitness.

Quioto doesn't defend, whines when taken off and overall doesn't play up to his potential. The coach finally is seeing that Memo is playing with a purpose and making a difference. While Quioto complains and slacks off on the field. If he leaves then so be it, use the money to enforce behind Memo and midfield.

Elis wants his European move and playing like it. I'm ok with that because it gives the possibility of more money to hopefully buy his drop in replacement. We literally have no one close to him to take that side lol

Elis

7seven7 repped this.
  10. OnceAggie

OnceAggie Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Yall are crazy the downturn stadium is great imho. You can hit a Dynamo game, Astros, game even rockets at the same time..Also, with the emerging bar scene in Eado its great for pre-gaming and after partying. You really wanted a stand alone stadium in the hood somewhere?

Also, its good sell for international games with easy access from the airport and hotels for visiting press, teams, fans etc..

DonJuego, Dynam0 and CeltTexan repped this.
  11. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    i think what some of us are saying is great location, poor execution.

12. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    This I'd agree with. I hear some saying bad location, which I wouldn't agree with.

Dynam0 repped this.
  13. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #88 juvechelsea, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
    I am uncomfortable putting all my eggs in the Memo basket particularly if the speedy magnet on the right disappears that draws everyone over to the strong side to leave him open net. He is not doing that by himself. He is merely tapping in what the system provides.

But I do think that if what makes this work well is defensive shape and effort I am not sure if Quioto is a fit coming back. I think one reason Lundkvist "appears" better is non-constant runs down the left at him. Though he has improved, he still allows too much but he is less often left to his own devices against someone at a full head of speed. He doesn't have to deal with that as much if the man ahead of him is situated closer and puts in the work.

I also think we could use a cheap, tall target forward for tactical reasons. One response to "what do we do with packed in defenses" (which we are eventually going to re-confront) is a 10, and I am not disputing that need, which should be important. But an additional response is a Late Banger to whack crosses at in stalemates. The one note is working lately but it remains one note. I realize that playing defense higher up the field in a better shape starts counters earlier that we can exploit. But that sentiment reminds of 2017 naivete and we still need a plan B if a road team shows up here in a shell and refuses to come out.

I am also going to lob the stinkbomb in here that Cabezas has to be healthy enough to see time or what is the point. If he can be healthy this thing further supercharges. If not, I am getting too used to talking about the defensive midfield as other people.

naranjableeder repped this.
  14. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone said not enough consideration put into supporters group seating. I disagree. They put zero into supporters group seating because they put in no supporters group seating. Supporters were not even an afterthought. This is where AEG really screwed up -- as AEG had complete 100% control of the design of the stadium.

Dynam0 repped this.
  15. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Memo:

I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket either. Memo works and excels in the system we have. Focused attention from the defense on Elis and he is given room to find space to make runs. You need those kind of players, plus he doesn't command a lot salary wise, but based on his play this year, I'd give him a little bump in pay.

Quioto:

The guy is old news to me right now. I am a little done with his antics and lack of effort tbh. He never covers in defense like Memo or Elis does. The attitude annoys me. The way we are playing right now I don't think he fits it well and will be left out. Memo is playing spectacularly and doesn't deserve to be pushed out by a guy that is only happy when he is the vocal point of the attack.

Lundkvist:

I think he is finally adjusting to the style of play and with Memo tracking back to support him, he has benefited to not being left on a island to defend. Truthfully, I wouldn't leave any defender to their own devices.... nothing good rarely comes from a defender covering on the back foot against most players running at them.

Cabezas:

I need to see more out of him to even have an opinion... he barely played last season and barley seen the field this one. I think he has the ability to cover the defenders, but he needs to figure out his health.

16. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    My point on Memo is take away all the attention to Elis that makes him the little kid grinning on the back post -- though, to his credit, he finishes them, unlike some predecessors -- and what do we have? I don't think we can make summer moves based on the assumption a flurry of production he doesn't usually have, continues to hold. It would be nice if it did, but it's a risky way to conceptualize a team, is assume the kid going bonkers on the weak side can only continue to do so, and thus abandon work there and send the money elsewhere. What if he can't carry water alone with Elis gone? And you spent the money on other positions? To me it's like Cubo. I want to see it sustained first. And particularly if Quioto is gone he needs competition

Quioto had 6G 12A last season and I find it impossible to pretend like that is indifferent. However his attitude the last 2 years screams wantaway so give him what he wants. But when that happens you need to replace that production. Vaguely second order DeRo. Lot easier to ship the disgruntled out than replace them. Unlike Elis there is no seeming guarantee of a pot of gold on that one.

Cabezas this season has like 20 total minutes and last season had 200-something. He played less than AJ last year who was knee knacked most of the season. Half or a third of Senderos, Watts (both retired), and Memo. Less than Alvarez. Less than Bird. About what Gil and Pena got. If you are not getting 2017 play and minutes, but instead this, his minutes speak to the impact possible on the team. Meanwhile he makes $270k. Given the demonstrated upside I am inclined to give him the season. But right now he has the least minutes of a player who has seen the field. He has to revert back to what he was and that includes not limping off the field every couple games.

Lundkvist, sorry, if you leave Figueroa to his own devices it does not constitute a city emergency. Like people excuse Willis for the backline before, you have to hold each player to account for their own performance, and part of that is the ability to do their job alone without a system coddling them. Like Pulisic dribbling half the Bremen team from half field last weekend for a goal.

17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And none of EaDo, the “Taste of EaDo” it anything about the area has enhanced the Dynamo attendance. This is the 8th season for the Dynamo being in Downtown and what has it done to enhance attendance? (I am sure it has enhanced revenue).

18. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t personally have a problem with the location. I just remember our FO and the and MLS completely strong-handing our supporters groups when we first moved into the stadium. That was grassroots, real support that was stymied.

19. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we know what we have with Memo at this point. He’s been doing the same thing since he was with RGV. He’s not going to kill your team and offers a good soccer brain with some technique on the finish/cross. He is relatively slow and is not going to be dynamic, so you need some players like that around him. He could be upgraded on, but he would not be my first point of concern. We have to get the next attacking signing right if Elis is gone.

20. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing in my response said Memo could do what he has been doing without Elis. I actually agreed with your evaluation of him. Elis is the vocal point of the team, Memo just cleans up.

Quioto production is one thing.... his effort out side of it on the defensive side is another. He plays for himself, not the team.

I like Cabezas and want to see him play more minutes, but just like you said.... can't be limping off the field after 30 minuted into a game.

21. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Quioto had 6G 12A last year, Brad Davis-type numbers. He was the starter for the first CCL and MLS contests this season, which reflects the FO/HC's sense of how this should stack up. Memo is the hot hand but the numbers are a jump from prior seasons and IMO he is living off of an improved defense creating more counter opportunities, defenses slide towards the dangerous Elis and Manotas, and he's open weak side.

To me it's like Steve Kerr on the old Bulls. You're trying to handle all the others, he gets left open, very efficient -- all time 3 point percentage leader -- but summed up, 6 ppg average.

Also worth noting despite supposed technicality he has 2 assists in 4 years, as reflected in that sense you have that everything is coming from Elis' side. Versus Quioto who has more assists than goals. Part of the reason, if you think about it, that it is so key who replaces Elis (assuming), is that he is the main straw stirring the drink. Which should be reflecting on the 10 and the left wing players. There is no reason there isn't more of a symmetry to it. I'd prefer two such players -- a Quioto without the tude.

To me Memo is productive enough this is not his roster spot at stake. I think he would be better than Wenger was, or the other sub options we have had on the wings for years. I just think he's no Elis in terms of where to shop for. And I think his goals right now are largely coming off the attention being sent towards the more frightening players. If that is about to be in flux I don't think I can assume it will continue through the changes. To me it's kind of like Cubo's year where it's like can I fully trust this. You see with Manotas that given the same companions he actually produced even more. Memo has decent numbers, but Quioto quietly had Davis numbers.

22. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    There is a logic I am pushing here. Player makes bank off Elis and Manotas drawing attention. One or both get sold. Can I assume the same production? Think Manotas or Cubo pre-Elis.

I think Lundkvist's semi-revival reflects being given more cover, which reflects on Quioto's defensive effort. But I also think we have a bad habit of making emotional decisions on rational matters, Kamara, DeRo. I am a fan of sequencing ie line up the next guy before you make dramatic moves with the key cogs. Put differently, you get rid of Quioto because (a) he wants out and (b) you've lined up player x. We all too often do the emotional expulsion and only later try and figure out the solution. The solution itself should be the trigger for the move. Having aligned your replacement I can ship you out, whereever you want, and my bases are covered. I'm not just emotionally heaving you out to make myself feel better, and then trying to reboot the team on a ticking clock.

Cabezas is really good when healthy, and if so, don't change a thing. But I also believe you get the player you have, not his theoretical uninjured self, not him 10 years ago. The past few years in the backline are an object lesson in players are what they are now, fit or broken, fast or lost a step. If you have 50% Senderos or 75% Beasley or 50% Cabezas don't fool yourself you are getting peak stuff. You have to assess it like how does 50% Cabezas rank on the roster. Right now, 20 minutes, end of the bench. It's not his fault but to be valuable he needs to revert to what he was. Unlike someone like Ceren, I am willing to wait. He has endless good tape. But at his salary, not forever.

23. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Quioto coming off as/being a dick is about 99% of the reason he's hated. I get it, guy appears to be a dick and has off-field issues second only to Deric. Doesn't help that his competition is a very likable homegrown player in Memo.

Still Quioto was top five at his position last year and he's flat out probably more talented than Memo. Question is whether he is enough of a dick that the team is hurt by having him. Hard to say for sure, but I don't think that he weighed down the locker-room in '17 or '18, so not sure I really buy that he's a locker-room cancer.

I'd still love to have Quioto assuming he doesn't want out because I feel a lot better playing him on the right when Elis leaves than Hairston, McNamara, Pena or whoever else we can shove over there and he's easily the best forward sub as is.

Just doesn't seem to be a problem to me relative to some of the other issues on the team (fullbacks, Elis/Manotas replacement, Fuenmayor/Ceren/Pena). Would cause a depth problem if he goes because even if you subscribe to the opinion that Memo is better than Quioto, I don't think there's an argument that Hairston/McNamara/Pena are.

24. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #99 juvechelsea, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019
    Same thing on Elis. Line up the replacement. Then make the sale. Do not haggle endlessly. Announce the new guy. This may involve taking somewhat less money to keep the train running smoothly. Line up who we want, take the 6 million if need be. We instead seem to want to hold out for the extra 2 million at the expense of that consumes the whole transfer window and the incoming player decides he's not waiting, or gets caught up in the delay, or maybe we were so money obsessed we focused on the sale and didn't even think about who would fill the hole.

To me the only reason to hold out and haggle is you get an unexpected offer where you are not covered on the soccer side. If we have not planned on Elis going, then the value of his exit to me includes a premium. But this past winter was no surprise.

25. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct.
    You are actually more right than you know.
    The final good deed Oliver Luck accomplished with us fans and supporters was hold a town hall of sorts with all cross sections of our fan base and supporter groups when the final contract was handed out by AEG to the contractor that got the stadium build bid. The lead architects were in the room with OL and they took notes of what Oliver wanted to transfer from the good vibe and open air at The Rob to downtown. Plus they took careful notes of what us in the room looked to envision in our new downtown venue. Problem was, Canetti was in the room as well. He listened, heard all the ideas, but him being him, once OL left for to be AD at West Virginia there in 2010, Canetti had full say with AEG's buildout. He specifically abandoned all concepts from that meeting and went off on his own build. And it shows. Recall that us in the supporters section were given that famous, dickish demand from Canetti of "Fill that lower bowl section...or else!" To what us responded with, or else what Chris?!? You gonna tell Ching and the boys that you put the supporters section out in parking Lot B to start the new downtown stadium era! That fuc{in' guy!