Houston Dynamo v. FC Dallas, Saturday, July 21

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Jul 19, 2018.

?

Result?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2018.
  1. Dynamo win

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Dynamo tie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dynamo lose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I say we shoot the cannon off seven times!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Who: Houston Dynamo v. FC Dallas
    When: Saturday, July 21 @ 8:00 pm CDT
    Where: BBVA Compass Stadium; Houston, TX
    Records: FC Dallas (11-3-5), 1st in West
    Houston Dynamo (7-6-5), 7th in West
    TV: KUBE-57
    Radio: 610 am, 1010 am (Spanish)

This is the 19th regular season game of the year for Houston and the 20th for Dallas. This is the first meeting between the teams this year. Last year all three meetings were draws: 0-0 in Frisco in May, 1-1 in Houston in June, and 3-3 in Frisco in August. The teams will meet again in Houston on August 21 and then up in North Texas on September 1. The Dynamo have only beaten FCD once in the last 14 meetings in all competitions dating back to 2013.

Dallas' most recent game was a home win, 3-1, over Chicago on July 14.

FCD is 3-2-0 in their last five league games scoring 7 goals and allowing 8. Dallas is 4-3-1 in road league games so far this year. They next travel to Sporting Kansas City on July 28.

The Dynamo are now 2-1-2 in the last five league games scoring 9 goals and allowing 5. Houston is 6-2-1 so far in home league games this year and is unbeaten in the last 9 at home in all competitions.

The Dynamo next stay home to host Philadelphia on Wednesday, July 25, and then travel to Portland on July 28.

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    FCD @ Dynamo, all-time:

05/06/06 HOU 4-3 FCD
    08/12/06 HOU 1-0 FCD
    08/23/06 HOU 3-0 FCD, U.S. Open Cup
    06/03/07 HOU 2-1 FCD
    08/19/07 HOU 1-0 FCD
    11/02/07 HOU 4-1 FCD (a.e.t.), MLS Playoffs
    04/06/08 HOU 3-3 FCD
    06/26/08 HOU 1-1 FCD
    05/09/09 HOU 1-0 FCD
    05/05/10 HOU 0-1 FCD
    05/28/11 HOU 2-2 FCD
    06/16/12 HOU 2-1 FCD
    04/05/14 HOU 1-4 FCD
    06/24/14 HOU 2-3 FCD (a.e.t.), U.S. Open Cup
    05/01/15 HOU 1-4 FCD
    03/12/16 HOU 5-0 FCD
    07/20/16 HOU 0-1 FCD, U.S. Open Cup
    08/27/16 HOU 1-3 FCD
    06/23/17 HOU 1-1 FCD

That's 10-6-3 overall with 35 goals scored and 29 allowed.

This is the 37th game between the two teams in all competitions home and away. That only trails the 40 games against Kansas City for most played opponent. Houston Dynamo and FC Dallas are currently 13-13-10 against each other overall.

3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    El Capitan standings, Houston leads 7-5:

2006: HOU 2-1-1
    2007: HOU 3-0-1
    2008: FCD 0-0-3 (away goals 4-2)
    2009: HOU 2-1-0
    2010: FCD 1-0-1
    2011: HOU 1-0-1
    2012: HOU 1-0-0
    2013: FCD 1-0-0
    2014: FCD 1-0-0
    2015: FCD 3-0-0
    2016 HOU 1-1-1 (g.d. +3)
    2017 HOU 0-0-3 (holder retains)

Current El Capitan citeria:

1. Head-to-head regular season series (W-L-T)
    2. Head-to-head goal differential in regular season series
    3. Result of playoff series (if applicable)
    4. Result of CONCACAF Champions League series (if applicable)
    5. Result of SuperLiga playoff match (if applicable)
    6. Result of SuperLiga group match (if applicable)
    7. Result of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup match (if applicable)
    8. Holder retains trophy

4. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 4th option should have been. Rico signs one day contract to kick a Dallas player in the face and re-retires on his way back to the locker room

Please God just win this game!

CeltTexan and 7seven7 repped this.
  5. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frisco not only sucks but can EAD!!

CeltTexan repped this.
  6. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    If people have suggestions for poll options I will gladly consider them. I usually post the game thread as soon as the previous game is complete so that would be the deadline for submissions.

7. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Match preview

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2018-07-21-houston-dynamo-vs-fc-dallas/preview

HOUSTON
    • Suspended: None
    • Suspended after next caution: M - Darwin Ceren, D - Alejandro Fuenmayor
    • International duty: None
    • Injury Report: OUT: D - A.J. DeLaGarza (torn left ACL), M - Juan David Cabezas (left quad injury), F - Mac Steeves (left hip injury), M/D - Andrew Wenger (left calf injury), M - Arturo Alvarez (right hip injury)
    Projected Starting XI
    (4-2-3-1, right to left)
    GK: Joe Willis — Adolfo Machado, Alejandro Fuenmayor, Philippe Senderos, DaMarcus Beasley — Darwin Ceren, Oscar Boniek Garcia — Alberth Elis, Tomas Martinez, Romell Quioto — Mauro Manotas

DALLAS
    • Suspended: None
    • Suspended after next caution: None
    • International duty: None
    • Injury Report: OUT: F - Cristian Colman (high-ankle sprain)
    Projected Starting XI
    (4-2-3-1, right to left)
    GK: Jesse Gonzalez — Reggie Cannon, Matt Hedges, Reto Ziegler, Ryan Hollingshead — Carlos Gruezo, Victor Ulloa — Michael Barrios, Santiago Mosquera, Roland Lamah — Maxi Urruti

OFFICIALS
    Referee: Chico Grajeda
    Assistant Referees: Ian Anderson, Eduardo Mariscal
    4th Official: Tim Ford
    VAR: Alan Kelly

8. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Weather forecast for Saturday night:

What's the weather like out there? "It's hot. Damn hot! Real hot! Hottest things is my shorts. I could cook things in it. A little crotch pot cooking." Well, can you tell me what it feels like. "Fool, it's hot! I told you again! Were you born on the sun? It's damn hot! I saw - It's so damn hot, I saw little guys, their orange robes burst into flames. It's that hot! Do you know what I'm talking about." What do you think it's going to be like tonight? "It's gonna be hot and wet! That's nice if you're with a lady, but it ain't no good if you're in the jungle."
    - Robin Williams as Adrian Cronauer (RIP)

El Naranja, CeltTexan and palmeiras59 repped this.
  9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Texas Derby time!
    God I love this sport!!!

Buddy of mine won tickets on the radio so we going!!!

DALE DYNAMO!!!

10. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Well considering the injuries and the two other games we played so little rest and on top of the starting player mid-selections it came out as good as can be expected.

Eric Alexander is a good player but he looks worn out and he was rightfully subbed with Boniek but he is a liability in a wide open field and doesn’t bring much to theattack.

Martinez just isn’t a dp. He is better as a bench player or an outside half.

11. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Jared Watts was a starter and got soundly beaten by his mark Matt Hedgeson on the FCD goal. I will admit he played pretty good after that really bad mistake but is he the best we can do against the top West division team?

Machado has been a horror show this year.
    Th FCD plan was to isolate him and run right past him. He is terrible with the ball at his feet.

Beast was nails Mauro Ceren Memo Fuenmauor Willis we’re good. Quitting good first half Ellis was ok but he when he has to pass he holds on way too long and then gives it away

At l least we survived. 2 points out of 6 possible is putting us in a must win now situation. We are falling out of contention.

12. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC is falling. We're merely sliding.

13. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    When you look at the final 8 games of the season, I agree with the notion that we're falling. I said to someone a few weeks back that the Dynamo had to be safely in the playoff zone with a nice cushion by the end of August or it is unlikely they would make the playoffs. It's still only July, but they aren't even above the red line yet. Can't afford to be dropping points at home or on the road against crap teams like Colorado.

14. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People are starting to figure out how they play.... they just don't have an answer for it.

15. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Watts gave up a header goal against RSL, that time fronting his man. This is what he does. The rest of the game was OK but like a forward who does nothing but scores every week is a genius, a back who routinely gives up the cheapie is judged more by that. Not the biggest Garcia fan but if we're resting the old man CBs then play him instead. He was solid in the middle lately.

Self inflicted and costs us the points.

16. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #16 juvechelsea, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    Beasley had a very good game. That sort of mix of smart plays and physical tackling is what I want in a defender. I know he's older but we don't get enough days like that from him or any of them.

But on the other side Machado had a nightmare, had the PK foul, and was routinely getting beaten to the line. Lundkvist has the same foot speed problem on that side plus one footedness. They need Wenger back.

To be fair, Wenger may not be healthy or he may be playing it safe. But Machado was costing us goals before the world cup. This plus Watts is where I get into, are watching how people actually play? Or does the coach just have his idea in his head and is perseverating?

17. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Manotas may give Torres' record a run.

Quioto looks fairly sharp.

Dallas has similar athletic attributes and weren't letting us flank them down the wings. We have trouble with good defenders or speedy ones.

This is when you need a sharper playmaker than Martinez kicking attempted through passes straight upfield like he's Geoff Cameron. Those are usually either intercepted or to the keeper or over the endline.

I think this is where it shows up we don't have a 10 to play against a team that gets back. In contrast, if a team is foolish enough to play a high line, SKC USOC ensues. But we're still in a situation where there needs to be a Plan B if they don't play high up.

18. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I think the gutless Colorado game plan bothers me more than this one. That was easily winnable.

The squad rotation in exchange for lesser results now is a long game that plays out in the next few months, if at all.

I don't feel as comfortable with this season as last. Last year I fought the tide and said I liked our chances. This year we're blowing out fewer teams, home is less a fortress, defense is much more leaky. I'd hoped for summer reinforcements but are we done already? Lundkvist seems to me to have Castillo Syndrome (people think he's a defender but what he can do is attack, can't defend to save his life). And who knows on the second Venezuelan. We needed an attacking upgrade more than just depth.

19. OneTerryHurlock

Aug 24, 2006
    none of you boys pick up on the mayhem on the sidelines after our last sub?

20. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    i was home in AC not roasting my brains in the 90 degree heat.

what happened?

21. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I take it Martinez or Quioto did not like being subbed?

Memo makes a difference any time he comes in he may be a legitimate starter over Martinez in my mind. But he was subbed in for Quioto.

Gil is not as good a quality player as Martinez but at least he is committed to playing defense at the end of a game.

22. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Do tell...:unsure:

23. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Why isn't Memo in the technician/10 slot and then Martinez as one of the "6s?" Martinez hustles and breaks things up and is sufficient when he dumbs it down and gets it wide early. And while Cabezas is out we lack quality in that dimension. I realize it would a statement of sorts about him as a 10 for the future, but why pretend? If he has any future here it's not as The Guy. So try him as a worker bee. Tells me all I need to know what we're back to the forwards as both scorers and lead assists men.

For that matter, I'd like to see them try a more technical, possession oriented lineup to start with sometimes. The division of labor in the 433 is normally set up as forwards attacking and then the mids are almost there for defense. OK, if people are catching on to that version, why not get the more technical players out there to start some games, where the other team has more offense to deal with?

I'd also like to see Lundkvist tried as a left wing sub. To me he's kind of like a Castillo, probably better as a mid than a back.

24. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I'd also consider trading for a player with Moffatability. Two things the team has lacked this year are (a) free kick shooting presence like that goal Quioto got in USOC and (b) someone who can whack one in from 25. We had that shot over and over last weekend and the fans in the endline stands got to catch some soccer balls.

25. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how many offsides goals LAG has been able to sneak away with against us over the years but it has been several, one just a season ago where they equalized late on. Now that VAR is in full effect, of course it was us that had the match winner in the Texas Derby nullified with VAR here years on.

Machado is no right back in this league or any league that sees speedy wing play more nights than not!

I still think we need not so much a deep lying #10 type but an up top #9 that plays big, back to goal and can let us keep possession as we progress up the field. Thus allowing our attacking trio of Elis, El Cafetero and Quioto to run off this hold up man. When on their day we really do have a solid attack. It is just teams know we do way too much of playing outta the back to see many of those long balls go out for goal kicks. Which is ancient soccer.

Glad we are in a Cup run. Playoffs might not be in the cards this season.

Dynamo_Forever repped this.