Houston attendance

Discussion in 'Houston Dash' started by SiberianThunderT, Jan 10, 2014.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I vaguely remember someone Tweeting earlier this week about how many STHs the Dash already had, and it was a great number from what I remember, but I can't find said Tweet anymore. Does anyone still have it?

2. apog

apog Member

Dec 13, 2005
    Cypress
    I don't have a reference to the tweet, but I remember one from Glenn Davis saying about 1200 tickets. A couple of nights ago on Glenn's show, Chris Canetti said around 2000 with approx 80 to 90 percent being from existing Dynamo STH.

3. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    421091438080700417 is not a valid tweet id

4. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Is 6,000 in avg. attendance a realistic goal this year for Houston?

5. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I believe they are hoping to get close to capacity (the lower bowl capacity of 7,000), but I can't find the tweet where I read that. But Canetti did have this conversation today:

So they are hoping to sell 4000 season tickets.

6. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sooo they are advertising season tickets, but, sorry for the ignorance here, when is the season?

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Details have not come out yet, but it'll be 12 home games in the regular season between April 12 and August 16th.

8. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of my tweets was quoted? Clearly, if y'all start following me, my love for Houston and hatred for everything NOT Houston will make y'all regret it.

Here's a nice idea of where we would stand.

[​IMG]

9. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Only posted your tweet for the context. Canetti (who is the one I'm following ;)) saying he wants to double an unknown amount does not help to clarify much.

10. Penwyth

Penwyth Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Earth
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if the Dash get to the lofty goal of 4,000 in season ticket sales and can swing a handful hundred single game ticket sales then Houston would be pushing for top three fairly easily if attendance holds same as last year.

I wonder what the #s are for the attendance list above in terms of what % was season tickets.

Based on our stadium's quality I hope this translates into better fan attraction. Only Portland has comparable quality out of the other 8 NWSL stadiums and I use the word "stadium" loosely in some instances.

11. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    It won't. FC Kansas City is playing in a smaller stadium this year with a max capacity of 3,200. But Boston is the real wildcard. Last year they were playing in a stadium limited to 2,500 fans most of the year (they had temporary bleachers to expand it to 3,500 but only used them for 2 games, I believe). They will be playing in Harvard Stadium with a capacity up to 30,323. So it will be interesting to see what they can turn out. And Western NY's stadium can hold 13,768. So, I think that the Dash, Boston, and WNY will be fighting for 2-4.

12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I recall correctly, the Thorns' 2013 season ticket sales were in the range of 7,000 to 7,500. Their average attendance was in the range of 13,000 to 13,500. If the Dash sells 4,000 season tickets, that might suggest average attendance in the range of 7,000+.

13. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Hmm... they were supposed to be limiting capacity to the lower bowl (which is 7,000). So at what point would they consider opening a section of the upper bowl? Or, in other words, how much attendance over 7,000 would they need to make the added cost of opening the upper bowl worth it?

14. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question. The Thorns also limited capacity last year to a lower area. I think there was at least one occasion on which they opened up an additional area (last home game?). I'm not sure it was a cost issue as much as an atmosphere issue. Better to have the lower area full than to have empty seats throughout the stadium. It worked really well for the Thorns to have limited capacity.

15. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    The announcer for the Dash on a webcast of the Dash-A&M game mentioned there were 5,000 tickets sold for the opening game against Portland. Wonder how much of that is season ticket holder? Also, what kind of numbers usually show up on game day to buy tickets. Seems like that was a big number last year for Portland.

16. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
  17. DashOn

DashOn New Member

May 15, 2014
    From what i have seen, the upper VIP area has been open the past 2 games.

18. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    I am a bit surprised at the ticket sales for the upcoming game with KC, a big game that has both teams trying to grab that 4th spot for the play-offs. I know it is a Wednesday game, but so was the Seattle vs Thorns game at Providence, and they sold out. I wasn't expecting to see anything close to their last game, but a lot better then what looks like it is going to be. Unless they have a lot of walk up sales, it could end up less then 5000. While that may sound good for all the other teams(except Portland) it falls short of what one might expect for Houston. Surprisingly, though, the advanced ticket sales are very good for the Seattle game in August, and could end up a sell out (7000). I just wonder if they can do well enough to end up with a season average of 6000+ per game. Come on Dash fans! take a friend, two, three, etc.

19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    To be fair, when they normally open just 7k seats, hitting 5k isn't really "falling short" of expectations, especially for a midweek game.

20. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Maybe so, but the advanced ticket sales for the re-match in Seattle on August 12, also on a Wednesday night game, indicate a possible sell-out. In Seattle's case, now 5000 would be an outstanding accomplishment for a mid-week game.

21. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    isn't seattle a soccer town?

don't think houston is.

like we've been discussing on another thread, culture counts for a lot in soccer.

22. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    I am starting to, begrudgingly, agree with you on that. However, how do you explain why the game against Seattle in Houston, in a couple of weeks, could actually end up a sell-out.

23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Seattle is the strongest away draw in the league. I think it's Solo and Rapinoe, combined with the fact that fans recognize Seattle is just a strong team.

24. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    I was kind of hoping that it was a little more then that. Maybe like their style of play was fun to watch or maybe they had heard a little more about Little and Fishlock and would like to see them in action or just maybe some of the competitive clubs and their coaches were encouraging their kids to take in the game, pointing out how good players like Little and Fishlock or just maybe it was for the hotdogs and nachos.

25. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Same reason it was the 2nd highest in ticket sales last season: Solo and Rapinoe.

Fact remains that there is a significant WoSo fanbase that is attracted to particular players rather than to teams. Solo and Rapinoe are by far two of the most popular players around. A lot of people will come out just to see them.