Houston Astros 2005 Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by quentinc, Mar 14, 2005.

1. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Well, I don't like roofs and honestly wish that Houstong didn't have one. That said, it's their stadium and their roof. If you aren't gonna make Minnesota stop playing in a glorified convention center (and on turf), then there's no reason to make Houston do this.

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Even though I am a die hard White Sox fan, and I know that this helps the White Sox, I am of the mind that a home field advantage is a home field advantage. If they want the roof closed they should be allowed to have it closed. It is their stadium.

3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can only imagine what it must have been like to be there last night. That had to be a heartbreaker though. I am very impressed with the Astros. They don't quit and the keep fighting. They certainly had more chances to win last night then the White Sox. I would say that the Sox pitching put the Sox in bad positions then were able to bail themselves out of em.

I don't know much about Backe. What type of pitcher is he? Garcia is 12-3 on the road this year including playoffs.

4. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Dear lord, that was terrible. We had so many ********ing chances to close that game out...

Backe is a young pitcher that's pretty good. There's really nothing about him that is overwhelming, however. I honestly can't think of a pitch that stands out.

And for those watching on TV, did the umpire's strike zone look as dubious on TV as it did in section 114?

5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had alot of what was that call moments in that game pertaining to the strike zone. I know on one at bat for the Astros he called an inside pitch a strike that looked to be in too far, then the next pitch which looked like a strike he called a ball. Not a very well called game for either team really.

They missed the hbp on Dye, again, only this time it did hit him. Which in hindsight worked out well for the Sox as Dye ended up with a hit that scored a run.

I don't get the whole wall in left center deal. Why put up the wall that way where hr's could potentially be taken away, or given to the opposite team? I would think they would be better off having seats all the way across.

6. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    There's lots of things about that park that don't make much sense.

I still can't get over that fifth inning, and our ************ execution after that....

7. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good article on that here:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/tom_verducci/10/26/astros.game3/index.html

I like the quirks, I don't like the wall that if it gets hit it is a hr though. Other then that I like the hill, the flagpole. That is what I always liked about baseball, the differences in the ballparks.

8. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Well, pretty much all of the wall (except for the tiny part Lane hit), is a home run. It's arranged like that for the net that covers the visiting bullpen.

9. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I appreciate that too, but the hill and flagpole is way over the top.

10. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to the Houston Astros for making the WS for the first time ever. I think this was the hardest fought WS ever that I have seen. Every game was winnable by both teams. I have nothing but respect for you fans of the Astros. If you guys had been playing anyone other then the White Sox I would have been rooting for your team.

Good Luck next year, please continue to kick the Cubs asses!

11. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I want to sit here and be proud of my team and go way to go team, but in the same regard, I wonder what that extra bat that we could have acquired during the trade deadline might have done for the team and its chances this year.

12. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    That was probably the most exciting sweep in World Series history.

13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too, my man, me too. If the Astros were merely competent with runners in scoring position, it's not hard to envision that they'd be up 3-1 right now.

I'm proud of them, though. The first NL pennant in 44 years is nothing to sneeze at.

14. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I still can't believe how the Big 3 + Lidge totally fizzled in the World Series. I must say that I'm very disappointed.

15. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    No kidding. Last year the Red Sox had a lead in EVERY inning, total domination. This year's sweep didn't feel like one at all. It feels like we got cheated out of 2-3 great games.

16. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with what is being said here. The stros could easily have taken this series. The biggest problem was the inability to hit with runners in scoring position. Can't win if you can't drive in runs. Also the bullpen for them let them down.

I thought it was a good series but then I am very biased on the matter. Pettite didn't pitch bad, Oswalt had 1 bad inning, in that inning I am very surprised that Garner or Hickey didn't come out and calm him down or give him a breather.

Still congrats on a making it to the WS. That in itself is quite a feat, first time and not the last I don't think.

17. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Don't get me started on Garner. He made so many obvious mistakes it is somewhat painful. He made a couple of "debateable" mistakes as well.

Obvious
    1. Starting Bagwell at DH - the results were that he was average at best. Not to mention batting him where they did.
    2. Not at least taking a walk to calm Oswalt down
    3. The whole season the Stros go qualls, wheeler lidge. Game 2 the Stros go wheeler, qualls, lidge.
    4. Having Lidge pitch to close out the NLCS, thus easing him into the world series.
    5. Lamb ever hitting v. cotts.

Debateable
    1. A couple of opportunities to squeeze with a runner on third with one out.
    2. Not aggressive on the base paths, even with Willy T at first.

There are a lot more, but I just want to forget the series.

With re: to the Big 3 and Lidge, Clemens has been hurt the whole last two months of the season so no fault there IMHO. Pettite pitched more than good enough for the win. Oswalt pitched perfect with the exception of one inning. So I don't think anyone can complain about their performance or "letting" us down.

18. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    None of the starters really fizzled. But I don't think Lidge really ever got over the Pujols homer in the NLCS, despite what he said.

19. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Clemens 13.50 ERA
    Oswalt 7.50 ERA
    Pettitte 3.00 ERA

Ok, so Pettitte did well, but if the Big 3 collectively performed as expected, the Astros are probably World Champions. Oswalt was truly a disappointment.

Still, all and all, the Astros can feel proud of winning their first NL pennant. The beauty of baseball is that you don't have to win it all to be considered a success.

20. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    One inning is all it takes and boy was it a doozy.

21. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Personally, I was not "dissapointed" with any of our pitchers. Clemens was pitching on a bad hamstring. It's really not Oswalt's fault that we lost game 3. Sure he had a bad inning, but we had so many chances to score runs and put that game away, it's not even funny. Pettite pitched very well.

Basically, none of our pitchers ever did anything to take us out of a game, which is what you ask of any pitcher.

22. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just re-watched the 18 inning game against the Braves, and now I am all pumped up for Stros ball. . . and . . . there's . . . nothing . . . happening . . . with them. It's a little frustrating. But I'm totally excited for the new season. I highly recommend rewatching the game if you have it; it made me cheer and cry all over again.

23. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Echo . . . . *Eeeecho* Hmmmmm. Oh well, I'll post anyway. :)

Last weekend, I was in Texas, and attended the Saturday game (game 2 of the series) against the Pirates. The energy at Minute Maid was amazing. Berkman and Biggio were playing like stars (the old man's still got it). Our offense was hot; the defense was solid enough -- the new guy in left field made an awesome catch.

But I was most impressed with our new pitcher, Bucholtz. This guy pwned the Pirates hitters. Oswalt Pettite Bucholtz Backe/Ramirez, I'm a happy girl. As much as I'd love to have Clemens, I think our pitching will be alright without him. This is our year, baby.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

2004: 1st ever playoff series win
    2005: 1st ever NL championship
    2006: 1st world series victory

It makes sense, right. Right?

24. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I just missing the Stros 2006 thread somewhere?? Or do we not even have one? :eek:

25. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Never give up, never surrender. F-ing wow! Go Astros!